Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

Hi all....hooked up with Michael my detecting buddie and we headed of to Yorkshire in search of new land :headbang: Sunday never the best day for knocking :P anyway after a few knock backs we stumbled on a L shaped stubble field at the back of a village :o we quickly found the land owner who gave us the OK :wink:

The field he told us had seen metal detectorists before on a number of occasions, but they hadn't been back this turn of the crop, so worth a shot we thought :thumbsup:

The first ob stycal was the ground...frozen to about three inches, so digging at first was tough :( a broken Tudor clothe hook gave me hope, quickly followed by a small casket key :) then my first hammered of the day, quite a nice Edward with just a small clip to the left :)

A couterstamped Cartwheel penny popped out, almost totally blank apart from a small shield, it's also under weight at 23g. Later on in the afternoon I had my second Medieval key almost complete :o and not far away my second hammered of the day :o looks like a Charles1, but not 100%, a large half round lead weight was the last find of the day for me, must weigh at least 2lb :o..Not to be out done Michael chipped in with two Hammered of his own. a James1, and Charles1. All in all not a bad day for a field that's had a bit of pressure :thumbsup:

SS

Attachments

• tlt 001.JPG
    tlt 001.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 967
  • tlt 003.JPG
    tlt 003.JPG
    142 KB · Views: 974
  • tlt 004.JPG
    tlt 004.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 973
  • tlt 006.JPG
    tlt 006.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 961
  • tlt 008.JPG
    tlt 008.JPG
    143.7 KB · Views: 953
  • tlt 009.JPG
    tlt 009.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 951
  • tlt 015.JPG
    tlt 015.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 946
  • tlt 010.JPG
    tlt 010.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 938
  • tlt 011.JPG
    tlt 011.JPG
    119.7 KB · Views: 938
  • tlt 012.JPG
    tlt 012.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 944
  • tlt 018.JPG
    tlt 018.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 926
  • tlt 024.JPG
    tlt 024.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 923
Upvote 0

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys did well! :thumbsup: Some sharp detail on that first silver.

Those cartwheels sure are easy to find huh. :-X

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its going to be some months until I get back into the hammered, but thats the cycle down here :P

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:

Sure are :wink: my first counterstamped though :P

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Wow! Really nice finds. Congrats on the silver. I found some silver and posted it today.
Dman

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Looks like the knocking worked well, I might try that this week. I saw plenty of ploughed fields today!

Great finds SS :icon_thumleft:

Jammy git :D

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nowheels7 said:
Looks like the knocking worked well, I might try that this week. I saw plenty of ploughed fields today!

Great finds SS :icon_thumleft:

Jammy git :D
Yea..noticed a couple of newly rolled fields today also :P as long as we don't get a lot of rain this week, they should be more :thumbsup:

SS

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:

Closest I've come to one would be an Anglesey one penny that had two letters engraved in it. This was many years ago and I had no idea what the coin was, but thought it was very cool. I think it was more fun then when all was new, with maybe the exception of now being able to find something really good and know what it is. At least with experience you get to do the chicken dance!

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:

Closest I've come to one would be an Anglesey one penny that had two letters engraved in it. This was many years ago and I had no idea what the coin was, but thought it was very cool. I think it was more fun then when all was new, with maybe the exception of now being able to find something really good and know what it is. At least with experience you get to do the chicken dance!
Done the chicken dance a few times :D trouble is, I should have looked around, you get some funny looks of the locals :laughing9:

U

umrgolf

Always feels nice to stumble onto a nice site :hello2: Great finds again :headbang: My post from the other day (3 center, navy cuff) is on city property and open to the public :laughing9: ;D

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Spiders said:
Always feels nice to stumble onto a nice site :hello2: Great finds again :headbang: My post from the other day (3 center, navy cuff) is on city property and open to the public :laughing9: ;D
Thanks :thumbsup:....I feer for metal detecting in the UK, the younger generation of farmers seem not wiling to grant permission to hunt :-\ it's always the older guys that give us the go ahead :) I can see thing getting much worse in years to come :'(

SS

U

umrgolf

Silver Searcher said:
Iron Spiders said:
Thanks :thumbsup:....I feer for metal detecting in the UK, the younger generation of farmers seem not wiling to grant permission to hunt :-\ it's always the older guys that give us the go ahead :) I can see thing getting much worse in years to come :'(

SS

Oh I agree 100% after that hoard was found, now every farmer thinks he has a million pounds sitting in his fields and in turn he will find one of his good friends to do the detecting or even himself :-\ ::)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Spiders said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Spiders said:

SS

Oh I agree 100% after that hoard was found, now every farmer thinks he has a million pounds sitting in his fields and in turn he will find one of his good friends to do the detecting or even himself :-\ ::)

I read earlier today there's about 50,000 that swing detectors in the UK. With those type of numbers and the history it only makes sense we're going to see some huge finds every year. Just imagine if New York state was mostly farmland and you let 20,000 guys have at it, bet there would be plenty to talk about!

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Spiders said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Spiders said:

SS

That's part of it, a lot more know there's money to be made..it's either let a couple of detectors go on the land, or let a club, club members usually pay £10 for a days detecting, half going to the farmer, times this by thirty detectorists, and your on a loser going solo :'(

SS

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Iron Spiders said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Spiders said:

SS

I read earlier today there's about 50,000 that swing detectors in the UK. With those type of numbers and the history it only makes sense we're going to see some huge finds every year. Just imagine if New York state was mostly farmland and you let 20,000 guys have at it, bet there would be plenty to talk about!
Yep that's right , plus detectors are far better now than before, so some areas are getting opened back up again.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Spiders said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Spiders said:

SS

That's part of it, a lot more know there's money to be made..it's either let a couple of detectors go on the land, or let a club, club members usually pay £10 for a days detecting, half going to the farmer, times this by thirty detectorists, and your on a loser going solo :'(

SS

Boy are we starting to feel sorry for you guys. ::)

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Spiders said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Spiders said:

SS

SS

How do you get land out there :icon_scratch: does it cost you, or are they willing just to let you on :dontknow:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Patch said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Spiders said:
Silver Searcher said:
Iron Spiders said:

SS

SS

How do you get land out there :icon_scratch: does it cost you, or are they willing just to let you on :dontknow:

We just ask and very rarely get turned down. Detecting isn't that big here so most people we approach it's the first time they've been asked. I'm sure most believe there's nothing great to find.... and most stuff we dig probably would be nothing to them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread