more silver in the woods

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-trac; Minelab Exp II; Troy Shadow X3; Garrett AT Pro.
Went back to hunt the bike trail through the woods. Found a few things that had been there long before the bike trail. These items were either in the trail or just off of it. Some interesting things.

The first item I found was a nice 1883 Seated Liberty Dime. It was about six inches deep and just off the trail. Close by was a clad quarter and a wheat cent. Here's the dime: biketrack 003.JPG biketrack 004.JPG

The last item I found was a 1901 Barber Quarter. It was about 8 inches deep and right in the middle of the trail in an inclined area.

biketrack 002.JPG biketrack 001.JPG

In between I found a few wheaties and memorials, but only one clad piece, the quarter. I also found this boyscout neckerchief slide:

biketrack 005.JPG

Also found this little lead figure. I think it was probably a game piece. It still has some traces of blue paint on it.

biketrack 006.JPG

Upvote 0

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Bob they look like they are in great shape! congrats on the seated!

OP
OP
skierbob

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Like I said, these coins were there long before the bike trail was carved through the woods. There are probably more coins and things spread out all over the woods. It's just easier to hunt along the bike trail. The rest of the woods are pretty densely overgrown and filled with thorn bushes, vines and fallen branches, etc. These woods have been in constant use for a very long period of time.

Bob

rogues71

May 9, 2009
mesa az
Detector(s) used
whites mxt
get your self a machette and start clearing smal square areas around your finds and i bet alot more will pop up. great finds by the way gratz

OP
OP
skierbob

skierbob

Jun 7, 2006
Southeastern PA
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the suggestion, rogues. I think I've got a machette around here somewhere. I'll give it a try.

Bob

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those coins are in fine shape :thumbsup: nice find

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice silver! Its amazing where coins will pop up!

p2c

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2009
Matteson, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac and Grey Ghost NDT; Garrett Pointer Pro
Awesome coins,
Not key dates, but their grade will be good (hard to tell from photo) which means they are still worth a good amount. I'd definitely be hunting around there more.
:thumbsup:

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
skierbob said:
Like I said, these coins were there long before the bike trail was carved through the woods. There are probably more coins and things spread out all over the woods. It's just easier to hunt along the bike trail. The rest of the woods are pretty densely overgrown and filled with thorn bushes, vines and fallen branches, etc. These woods have been in constant use for a very long period of time.

Bob
what town was you detecting in?

Moonshadow

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2004
Aiken, SC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Great stuff Bob! Love the kerchief slide....looks like an oldie! Beautiful coins! WTG!! :icon_thumleft:

HH,
Moon

DKinPA

Aug 21, 2005
Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Minelab ETrac & Tesoro Silver UMax
Bob congrats on the great silver!!! I need to look harder for a good "woods" location here in Central PA because all the "flat" ground is frozen again and I'm anxious to give the new toy a real full day's workout!

HH

Dave

peanut

Apr 19, 2009
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3i, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds, love the coins, especially the seated.

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good selection of findings ... . :icon_thumleft:

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spooky said:
SkyPirate said:
Why would these coins be on a bike trail? :icon_scratch:

Bike trails are generally built on older footpaths and sometimes railroad tracks...

Absolutely. Many bike/hiking paths are built along historical routes. It's part of the draw to get the crowds on them. The local wineries being in close proximity to these trails helps too. Here in St. Charles County we have the Katy Trail which is the old route of the Missouri-Kansas-Texas rail line (M-K-T, or "Katy" for short).
We also have Boone’s Lick Trail, an early road traveled by pioneers who settled Missouri.

Would LOVE to detect those trails!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread