More waste area relic action. Can you help nail down the provenance for it?

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
This artifact, this drive in movie speaker, I found it on the surface in a waste area I've explored in the past but I never had seen it there before. I believe this thing was excavated from a nearly 3 foot deep pit that recently appeared not but 15 yards from where I found it. It seems someone else tried their luck in this area, they were kind enough to leave it for me to find. The deposit of trash and god knows what else is no less than 3 feet deep, the location has been in use for many, many years, decades, maybe more.
In any case, I found this and a handful of 60s and 70s coinage, also a limb from what appears to be a goat lol.
I can't find any evidence of writing on it anywhere, the corrosion is so bad no fine surface features remain. I'm trying to narrow down the date to at least a decade but so far no dice. Google lens thus far knows it's a drive in speaker but nothing more than that.
I know it's a long shot but does anyone have even a clue as to when this thing was probably made? I'd love to hear your guesses or your knowledge on this little piece of history.....

Attachments

• IMG_20240515_190447620~3.jpg
    IMG_20240515_190447620~3.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20240515_185853307~2.jpg
    IMG_20240515_185853307~2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20240514_182715710_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240514_182715710_HDR.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 52
Upvote 3

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This artifact, this drive in movie speaker, I found it on the surface in a waste area I've explored in the past but I never had seen it there before. I believe this thing was excavated from a nearly 3 foot deep pit that recently appeared not but 15 yards from where I found it. It seems someone else tried their luck in this area, they were kind enough to leave it for me to find. The deposit of trash and god knows what else is no less than 3 feet deep, the location has been in use for many, many years, decades, maybe more.
In any case, I found this and a handful of 60s and 70s coinage, also a limb from what appears to be a goat lol.
I can't find any evidence of writing on it anywhere, the corrosion is so bad no fine surface features remain. I'm trying to narrow down the date to at least a decade but so far no dice. Google lens thus far knows it's a drive in speaker but nothing more than that.
I know it's a long shot but does anyone have even a clue as to when this thing was probably made? I'd love to hear your guesses or your knowledge on this little piece of history.....
I don’t know if this will help or not, but I remember drive in movies in the late 50s and the last one around here closed in the late 1970s. The leg looks like a deer leg to me.

Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.

OP
OP
Midden-marauder

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
I don’t know if this will help or not, but I remember drive in movies in the late 50s and the last one around here closed in the late 1970s. The leg looks like a deer leg to me.

Stay safe, good luck and keep swingin.
It's rather unclear just how old this thing is and considering it may have been fished deep out of the earth says something. Beyond a certain point, odd flukes aside, the deeper one goes, the older things get. Next step, I believe, is to try to find any info I can on local drive up theaters and see if any old photos exist. One thing I learned is that my state hosts the oldest drive in in the country with a history extending back to 1915, I went to that theater as a kid and I, uh, kid you not lol. It was a historic theater even back in the late 70s.
I doubt my decayed old die cast aluminum speaker comes from such a remote time though it could be pretty old anyway. I'm shocked no lable remains, no stamp, no inscription, no nada, not even on the inside where the rusted old parts are still to be found. I dunno. I'd like to know but it may not be for me to discover. My partner describes it as "haunted" which speaks to it's visible age. I may wire it up to the property fence to create a novel impression.
At first I assumed the leg came off a cow but my partner, an experienced mammal biologist, seemed to think it was a goat. If it was a deer it either came a LONG way from it's home to be lopped off in the middle of an unofficial urban dump site or a hunter discarded this part of the creature and it came to rest in this place. The area has been used as a dump for a long time and apparently still is so your guess is as good as mine.

I've concluded that metal detecting here is fruitful but perhaps not the real game, as one digs one finds layers of garbage, evidence of plastic bags, possible burials of once living things etc. I think simply excavating, using a sifter, and perhaps using a pinpointer to gauge deposit depth may be a good strategy at the site. I did find a signal at the very bottom of that pit I described so it keeps going down, probably to hell. The place is an untapped archeological site, one of many I'm now aware of, the depth of the history is unknown. Test pits anyone?
If I find date info I'll share it and if anyone would care to add their guesses here they are more than welcome

OP
OP
Midden-marauder

Midden-marauder

Dec 10, 2023
Maybe the same style speaker.
United-Here

misc3_a.jpg

misc3_d.jpg
You sir get a gold star. I'll have to look again at the back, I gave it the thrice over with my high power mag goggles but in that particular light you're right, there do appear to be letters. Maybe I gotta get the angle just right. That sure as hell appears to be the speaker in question there doesn't it

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread