more ww1 goodies !

panzermeyer

Jul 27, 2004
The Great White North
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum Tesoro Tiger Shark
Hi all !! Had another super day with the xlt . My brother and me hit an old WW1 training area.My bro was first on base with a sweet looking 89th battalion overseas badge with a lion on it followed by a real nice miltary coat button made of brass with insignia on it.I was next up with a real nice South Saskatchewan overseas Battalion badge , an enamel bowl 5 " diameter , enamel plate, wash basin and a raised edge type plate enameled also.I then nailed a kettle and one more plate.The kettle looked like a horse had stepped on it and the plate wasn;t quite as nice as the first.My next score was a very ornate pocket watch cover followed by a another badge with maple leaf with crown inside it.Last but not least to finish the day I banged onto a perfect 1927 penny.Other finds included a belt with 2 intact brass buckles, a nice old booze bottle , a lock ,horseshoe and some tent grommets made of brass.It was a long sleep for these finds but they are now safe at last.Pictures will be up asap

Upvote 0

lab rat

May 21, 2003
Sunny Southern CA Coast
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Way to go, Panzermeyer! Just for perspective, whereabouts in the world are you? Sounds like Germany, but it would be nice to know for sure. Looking forward to your pictures!

C

cerebral

I'm really new to this hobby, and aside from figuring out the technical details of metal detecting, I'm also learning the legal/ethical practices to ensure I'm not infringing on any laws or ticking people off!

Panzermeyer - No offence meant - your finds from Camp Hughes in Manitoba are really interesting, but.... according to the Military Historical Society of Manitoba:

Because of the importance of the Camp Hughes site to the awareness? and understanding of Manitoba's role in the First World War, it was designated as a? Provincial Heritage Site in 1993. A commemorative plaque was set up on Cemetery Hill overlooking the area of the trench system.

The use of the land is now controlled and removal of artifacts from the site without a permit is prohibited.

I'm sure you had a permit, or were unaware of their policy.....but my question is do many people detect in restricted areas with permits? What difficulties can I expect when trying to obtain a permit?

Like I said - I'm new to this hobby, and I'm still learning the ins and outs.....

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
C

cerebral

Dude - I'm not sure what you meant by that, so I referred to the handy urbandictionary.com:

BUZZKILL:
Something that spoils or ruins an otherwise enjoyable event, esp. when in relation to ruining a drunken or drug-induced high.
We were having a great time at the party until Jim puked all over the floor. That was a major buzzkill.

If this is what you meant, then all I can say is thanks for your witty insight.

Like I said earlier, I wasn't trying to irritate anyone - I'm just trying to learn from more experienced people - which is what I believe this board can offer......

If I've offended anyone, chill and don't worry about it....

M

Max

dekalb,
me thinks lack of sunlight and too much cold prob has taken its toll,
of course there's also the language barrier.
I knew what you meant.
BSEG
Max

AzSports

Feb 16, 2005
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's Gold Master, Garrett Infinium
lol.
What I love about the Canadians is how polite they remain even when they believe to have been insulted! (you weren't)

It's panzermeyer that surely has a logical explaination, such as a different location.

I once collected rattlesnakes in a desert area off the road, returned to my friends car to find the tires slashed by some partiers smoking and drinking nearby. What I didn't know was we had entered a National Monument area where this is not allowed. (the snake collecting, that is) I honestly didnt know from the way we approched the area, but got spanked just the same.
Lesson learned.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man ,we need some pics.I love that old military stuff!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread