More yellow rock crystals?

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got these this week out of the ground. Don't know if it is just quartz or something more. Ideas welcome. Thanks to all. Crystal rocks, goat field 1 001.JPG Crystal rocks, goat field 1 002.JPG Crystal rocks, goat field 1 003.JPG Crystal rocks, goat field 1 004.JPG Crystal rocks, goat field 1 005.JPG Crystal rocks, goat field 1 006.JPG Crystal rocks, goat field 1 011.JPG

All of these are transparent and can see light through them except for the last one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found some topaz back in the 80's in the Sawtooth mountains in Idaho, but nothing that big! Topaz has a nearly perfect cleavage, I've never seen one that oddly shaped. Are you going to start mining it, cause I would love to try faceting some. Cool rock!

Thanks niffler for reply. Yeah I have got another stone my local Gemologist says is Topaz and weighs 690 grams. Don't know what I am going to do yet with stones. I hear that cut and polished stones have more value than rough ones. Maybe I will find someone and go that route.

Upvote 0

shaman15771

May 27, 2014
SW VIRGINIA
Detector(s) used
fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Freeman, Meant to get back to you on gem show. It's at Salem Civic Center in September. Not sure of the date. It is on the internet if you google rock and gem shows near Roanoke, va.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to me like you have the makings for a topaz mine :) Might be able to flog those at the show shaman is speaking about. Nice stuff ;) Glad you had it confirmed.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to me like you have the makings for a topaz mine :) Might be able to flog those at the show shaman is speaking about. Nice stuff ;) Glad you had it confirmed.

Thanks DDancer. Yeah i had it tested by a Graduate Gemologest and her Presiduim machine and i watched the needle go up in Topaz area on the machine although some stones i had it said were quartz too so it all comes back around wheather we trust the machine. Still a good start. I called Gem shop in Franklin NC to see if they would confirm my stones and he laughed and told me that he had never heard of Topaz from Va. He also said that Topaz was a inexpensive stone but said if it came fron Va it would probably be worth more because it came from Va.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I must admit, I've never seen a gemologist trust a presidium meter to much. Much less seen them use them on other then diamonds.
From where did he/she graduate? A simple hardness test (true, its rare in gemmology) would have told you everything you need to know.

As a side note, I'd keep it as specimens. I'm not sure its clean enough to be faceted, or you'll end up with a included gem.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must admit, I've never seen a gemologist trust a presidium meter to much. Much less seen them use them on other then diamonds.
From where did he/she graduate? A simple hardness test (true, its rare in gemmology) would have told you everything you need to know.

As a side note, I'd keep it as specimens. I'm not sure its clean enough to be faceted, or you'll end up with a included gem.

Eu_citzen. Hope is all some of us have to do what we do trying to have a happy day collecting our rocks from the ground and sharing them on Treasurenet with others. If I listen to negative people like you I would quit and never think I had anything good. Doubt the Gemologest, doubt the machine doubt the material I post. Have a great day because I am going to.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well, Gee, I was not intending to sound negative. I was mostly curious and speaking for what I've been taught.

Also I thought you meant you had doubts about the presidium in one of your posts above and decided to share my view on it.
From those courses in gemmology I've taken, we always were told to double check the results of the presidium.

I was also not being negative on the material - as a cutter I *think* its more valuable as a specimen. But that's just my opinion from the pictures.
Now, look at the latest topic by me, you'll see that topaz even included can look good. But the value isn't that good.

Now, if you where offended by me sharing my views and experience...Well, what a shame.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, Gee, I was not intending to sound negative. I was mostly curious and speaking for what I've been taught.

Also I thought you meant you had doubts about the presidium in one of your posts above and decided to share my view on it.
From those courses in gemmology I've taken, we always were told to double check the results of the presidium.

I was also not being negative on the material - as a cutter I *think* its more valuable as a specimen. But that's just my opinion from the pictures.
Now, look at the latest topic by me, you'll see that topaz even included can look good. But the value isn't that good.

Now, if you where offended by me sharing my views and experience...Well, what a shame.

Thanks Eu_citzen for reply. I Did not mean to sound offended but am glad you explained to me your experience and I took it the wrong way. My bad. Do you think the Presidium machine is very good or is there something better out there that you think is better. I was thinking about getting a machine to test with at home. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'll copy what I said before:
Diamond testers are "ok", they don't have a 100% ID. Nor do they work for any other minerals, they are made for diamond only. (those I've tried)
If they fail depends on the (cut) piece being tested, it does not miss on entire mineral groups but rather single stones. Of course it has to be calibrated right, as well.

I can't swear on it, but I think they are not very useful for rough stones.

The best thing to learn is to use the ordinary tests: hardness test, cleavage, colour, crystal system etc.
Of course being able to take SG (specific gravity) is very useful. A good scale is a must for that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That makes perfect sense! The feel of Topaz does feel as if you are running your' finger over fine Velvet and thus the association that it has a greasy feel to it.

Frank

Thanks huntsman53 for info. A question I would like to ask is opaque rough topaz worth anything? A lot of the stones I have found when light is behind them it shines through but some it does not because of the thickness of the stone. Is there a market for that kind of stone.

Upvote 0

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The value of your rough is going to depend on color, clarity and how much is recoverable for cutting. Any stone is only worth what the other person is willing to pay for it so there is no clear answer. Take them to a rock and gem show is the best bet as there will be dealers/cutters there who can help determine the value of the rough and they may make you an offer. As to being opaque that can occur due to flaws in the mineral or contaminates especially in thick specimens. Typically a cutter will polish windows on the rough and use a loop to investigate the rough to determine usable material. Its a time consuming process, cutting, and that's what makes cut stones valuable. Rough can go for as little as 2 dollars a carat but be cut for 20 a carat then cut stones are valued on cut, color and clarity.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

G Freeman

Aug 22, 2013
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks DDancer. Good info I just wanted to know about the opaque as I didn't think it was worth anything. You are a great help.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread