Morel Mushroom Hunting

ginnysdaddy

Aug 10, 2007
Jeannette, PA (Westmoreland Co.)
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Gold digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well folks, it is that time of the year to find good eatting-tasty Morel Mushrooms. So far, on my first outting of looking in a new place, I found none, but I did find the next best thing, Wild Leeks! Alot of wild leeks in the woods that needed transported to my garden, and I did leave alot for others to enjoy. Happy Hunting.....

UnEarthed72

Jun 29, 2007
THE EMPIRE STATE
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,Whites prism2
Any pointers on where to start looking for Morels, i'm in ny state(i know they are here) and would love to find some of these wild mushrooms...i've been interested in searching for them and have been looking at this time for the past 2 years and still I have not come across any.

Thanks,HH

Shawn

resq937

Mar 6, 2005
also the best times to look are in the mornings after a warm night with rain...depending on your area it could be pretty muddy. find a stick to take along and move around the underbrush you can usually find a good bit of them under that

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I found a few two or three weeks ago, then a little patch of them at the silver farm the other day. The patch at the silver farm were white morels. I left them alone, not knowing if the owners prized them as well.

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
I got an intrest in this lately. I have an old apple orchard and many elm trees. I will search for them this spring. What is the best way to cook them. Which way do I slice them for frying in butter. Thanks for any advise.
Clayton

fng68

Nov 5, 2004
Beaver County PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE, X-Terra 70,Tiger Shark,Garrett CWIII,Ace 250
Hi Simonds,

You could stuff them,they're great that way also. Love them in Spring and Sheepheads in the Fall.
Don't get much better than that.Mushrooms go great with Countryboy surf 'n turf (backstraps and walleye).

Try This:

1 1/2 lbs. fresh mushrooms, sliced (or
use morels or chanterelles)
1 c. thinly sliced onions
4 tbsp. butter or oleo
1/3 c. flour
8 oz. sm. curd creamy cottage cheese
1 c. chopped fresh parsley
1/4 c. dry sherry wine
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/2 c. shredded Cheddar

Saute mushrooms and onions in butter. Stir in flour well. Blend all ingredients except cottage cheese. Pour into pastry lined pan. Smear cottage cheese on top and sprinkle with Cheddar. Top crust and bake at 425 degrees 40-45 minutes. Best eaten hot. Warms up well in microwave. Freezes well. If mushrooms look a little mature, boil in hot water just a few seconds and drain well before you saute them. This recipe is for a full size pie.

Good Luck,
Ron

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
fng68 said:
Hi Simonds,

You could stuff them,they're great that way also. Love them in Spring and Sheepheads in the Fall.
Don't get much better than that.Mushrooms go great with Countryboy surf 'n turf (backstraps and walleye).

Try This:

1 1/2 lbs. fresh mushrooms, sliced (or
use morels or chanterelles)
1 c. thinly sliced onions
4 tbsp. butter or oleo
1/3 c. flour
8 oz. sm. curd creamy cottage cheese
1 c. chopped fresh parsley
1/4 c. dry sherry wine
1 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1/2 c. shredded Cheddar

Saute mushrooms and onions in butter. Stir in flour well. Blend all ingredients except cottage cheese. Pour into pastry lined pan. Smear cottage cheese on top and sprinkle with Cheddar. Top crust and bake at 425 degrees 40-45 minutes. Best eaten hot. Warms up well in microwave. Freezes well. If mushrooms look a little mature, boil in hot water just a few seconds and drain well before you saute them. This recipe is for a full size pie.

Good Luck,
Ron
Ron, I've seen them as early as April 8 over at my mother's in Conway; with the moisture and warm temps in the forecast, I wouldn't be surprised to find them there in two weeks or less.

orion024

Jan 4, 2010
Hi Everyone, Morel season is well upon us! Tiny Black Morels have been poppin up in the Ohio Valley this week.......Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, & Pennsylvania! Gray morels have also been spotted down south in Georgia and the Carolinas! Here is a site with an updated map of Morels for 2010, it also has everything under the sun about morel mushrooms, i.e. Recipes, Pictures, T-Shirts, Books! Another great site for you mushrooms hunters is http://www.brmushrooms.com it is mainly for mushrooms of the Northeast! :icon_sunny:

http://morelmushroomhunting.com/morel_progression_sightings_map.htm

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone tells me the woods are full of them around here but I'd poison myself as sure as anything. I tasted a toadstool when I was a kid and puked for 2 days just from a small nibble. But I'd like to go with someone who knew what they were doing 'cause I really like mushrooms. Monty

fng68

Nov 5, 2004
Beaver County PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE, X-Terra 70,Tiger Shark,Garrett CWIII,Ace 250
hi halfdime,

Sorry it took so long to see your reply.

Conway, Zele, hell Bubba we're just 'bout neighbors.
Ever get out Enon/Gali area give me a shout and we can hunt coins and/or mushrooms.

Ron

OP
OP
ginnysdaddy

ginnysdaddy

Aug 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today's find!!

Attachments

• Morel #4.jpg
    Morel #4.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 804

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
ginnysdaddy

ginnysdaddy

Aug 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
poorhunter78 said:
I have found my best haul of Morels in poplar stands... Where there are nothing but poplar... I usually don't start lookin til our spring gobbler season, Around the middle of April...

Here are link's to some of my finds...

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,318710.0.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,397029.0.html

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,319875.0.html

Nice Schrooms'!! Kind of hard to believe they sell for about $190 a pound on some websites.
I do not dry them, I just fry them in butter, slap them on some bread, and eat them.
Pool shooter too!! APA? TAP??

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a local league.. Morgantown, Fairmont, Pt. Marion...

I had never dried morel's before, Last year I found so many.. I wanted to keep em, I looked at canning them.. Nah.. Then I looked at drying them... I soaked in salt water, Cut em in half... Used a small needle with heavy thread.. Then poked it through the stem, cause it will pull through the head... Hung them in the laundry room.. Couple days they are rock hard.... Then I put so many in a small Zip-Lock bag, And a little rice... To keep moisture out.. I still have some from last year...

All the mushrooms in those pictures came from the same spot.. Except for a couple found road hunting them on the 4 wheeler...

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What time you say supper Was!!! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread