Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
tmjones550 said:
Well I traded$29.00 40% halves for 9 morgan Dollars with provident metals.I found the 40%rs coin roll hunting today.Not a bad deal for the Morgan Dollars I like trading up the 40rs for the 90%rs. HH
We think alike! Personally, I don't care to hold many 40%, and always trade up for 90% or .999., even if I have to lose a few bucks in the trade. I save more room in the sdb.

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are these circulated Morgans or worse then circulated? Either way that is great for $29 FRNs. HH

GEOFF

Aug 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am very curious on how the trade takes place. Could you elaborate a bit?

I got some 40% to trade too. thanks.

OP
OP
tmjones550

tmjones550

Aug 16, 2011
GEOFF said:
I am very curious on how the trade takes place. Could you elaborate a bit?

I got some 40% to trade too. thanks.
I called providential metals and asked about trading some of my 40"s for some morgans and they worked it with shipping included.

OP
OP
tmjones550

tmjones550

Aug 16, 2011
palidin20603 said:
Are these circulated Morgans or worse then circulated? Either way that is great for $29 FRNs. HH
They are circulated,but still in good shape 90's.Morgans are cool!!!

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
Well, this is by no means any criticism of you, TMJ,

But every which way I have calculated it, I would stand to lose a considerable amount of value selling silver for silver.

My abacus tells me that the most value-preserving trade for silver is for it's "end use"; i.e. spending the silver for the final time; and btw, I collect silver to SPEND it.

That's just for me, folks, JMHO.

To me, a big pile of 40% is just as beautiful as a little pile of 90%.

After all, we are all in this for FUN.

Congrats on your trade, (no sarcasm intended).

Keep on Rollin' !

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
40% coin takes up too much space in the safe-deposit. It's foolish to keep large amounts of PM's at home, just my opinion.

OP
OP
tmjones550

tmjones550

Aug 16, 2011
Piledriver said:

But every which way I have calculated it, I would stand to lose a considerable amount of value selling silver for silver.

My abacus tells me that the most value-preserving trade for silver is for it's "end use"; i.e. spending the silver for the final time; and btw, I collect silver to SPEND it.

Keep on Rollin' !
I agree with what you are saying.I comes across the 40%rs alot more than the 90% coins.I lose some value in trading up but one thing I'm looking at is this...This is strictly my opinion here it goes....I do the coin roll hunting for two reasons.First for the investment for my kids for later in my life I can hand the dollar coins down to them for when silver is higher they can invest them for college ect.The second is my most likely scenerio.The fed is printing money like monopoly paper,eventually inflation is going to hit.Now here's where it gets tricky.One of many things are going to happen.Massive hyperinflation and food and everyday costs are going to go up.We might have a breakdown in society,government,ect.You can't eat silver but it could become a good barter or hedge if these things happen.Now to get to the point.What do MOST of the average Americans recognize.A 40% silver half dollar that gets turned in everyday thats most common in the banks?I think the average American DOES recognize the old Silver dollars and do know they contain silver.40% coins have a huge disadvantage because most people are ignorant that they contain silver.WE know it because thats what we enjoy collecting.I'm just saying that in a WSHTF scenerio people know that the older coins are legit.I like the dollar coins for a hedge,barter,and just because they are plain beautiful!!

CubanHunter

Jan 2, 2012
Miami, Fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tmjones550 said:
Piledriver said:

Keep on Rollin' !
I agree with what you are saying.I comes across the 40%rs alot more than the 90% coins.I lose some value in trading up but one thing I'm looking at is this...This is strictly my opinion here it goes....I do the coin roll hunting for two reasons.First for the investment for my kids for later in my life I can hand the dollar coins down to them for when silver is higher they can invest them for college ect.The second is my most likely scenerio.The fed is printing money like monopoly paper,eventually inflation is going to hit.Now here's where it gets tricky.One of many things are going to happen.Massive hyperinflation and food and everyday costs are going to go up.We might have a breakdown in society,government,ect.You can't eat silver but it could become a good barter or hedge if these things happen.Now to get to the point.What do MOST of the average Americans recognize.A 40% silver half dollar that gets turned in everyday thats most common in the banks?I think the average American DOES recognize the old Silver dollars and do know they contain silver.40% coins have a huge disadvantage because most people are --deleted-- that they contain silver.WE know it because thats what we enjoy collecting.I'm just saying that in a WSHTF scenerio people know that the older coins are legit.I like the dollar coins for a hedge,barter,and just because they are plain beautiful!!

I think it is nice to have a few of everything. Now as piledriver say we lose value when the trade silver for silver or silver for gold etc. About the SHTF I think it is wise to have silver in several forms but specially on silver dimes for purposes of exchange we will need small amounts. This video explain it better than me

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A loss of 0.18 oz per morgan dollar, not a bad deal, sure, you lose a little bit of money, but you have to remember, it is almost like paying $3.25 for a morgan silver dollar! :icon_pirat:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
The Morgan dollars that I save are stricktly for investment purposes, as I don't think silver coin will be in much demand as a bartering tool in a time of chaos. Like others have said, you can't eat it, drink it, burn it, or wipe with it, so why would my neighbor want to trade for it?

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Piledriver said:
. . .
every which way I have calculated it, I would stand to lose a considerable amount of value selling silver for silver.
. . .

It seems like maybe you missed an obvious which way.

Trade your 90% (or fine Ag) for 40%. Seems like there are a lot of members who like that trade and are willing to loose some troy oz to get the finer alloy.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
tmjones550 said:
Well I traded$29.00 40% halves for 9 morgan Dollars with provident metals.I found the 40%rs coin roll hunting today.Not a bad deal for the Morgan Dollars I like trading up the 40rs for the 90%rs. HH

I'm confused, did the Morgans cost 29.00 each? How much did they figure for each 40% coin and how many did they want for 9 Morgans? I would think it would have to be a lot of 40%rs, 50-70, to find in one day. I do like the ideal of being able to trade 40% that are the easiest to find for Silver dollars or anything else they sell even if it does cost some. Selling one and then buying the other is going to cost on both ends anyway better to just straight up trade.

OP
OP
tmjones550

tmjones550

Aug 16, 2011
minkybodl said:
tmjones550 said:

I'm confused, did the Morgans cost 29.00 each? How much did they figure for each 40% coin and how many did they want for 9 Morgans? I would think it would have to be a lot of 40%rs, 50-70, to find in one day. I do like the ideal of being able to trade 40% that are the easiest to find for Silver dollars or anything else they sell even if it does cost some. Selling one and then buying the other is going to cost on both ends anyway better to just straight up trade.
I traded in 58 pieces of 40%rs for 8 morgan dollars.58 pieces comes out to 29.00 face value.I Actually paid 29.00 for 8 morgan dollars.That's a pretty good deal in my book.

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I was gonna do it, I would look at this trade as silver value vs. Silver value......which works out to $290 vs. $210. Morgans do carry a premium however, and are much more marketable and cool. Personally, I might trade for a few Morgans just to have a few, but def would not Take a 29% loss on a reg basis. Just my opinion.

wpd7

Greenie
Jun 18, 2011
Anyone happy to do this sort of deal, PM me. I have plenty of Morgans and peace and willing to do this trade all day long. I can even trade to 999 bullion!

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
tmjones550 said:
minkybodl said:
tmjones550 said:

I traded in 58 pieces of 40%rs for 8 morgan dollars.58 pieces comes out to 29.00 face value.I Actually paid 29.00 for 8 morgan dollars.That's a pretty good deal in my book.

Thanks, now I understand. Coin shops around me only offer 3.50 for my 40% so I wont sell any for that. Only thing that matters is that you are happy with the trade and like you say they only cost you 29.00. Good to know that Provident will trade for 40%'rs and good to have different kinds of silver.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread