Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't the Polish would even polish till the polish came off

sorry I couldn't help myself

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
Yes, at least once a month I get Peace and Morgan dollars. The ones from China are magnetic and the reverse is a little off. They also sound different when dropped, but yes they are very good copy's.

I trade these with cherry picken tellers for silver dimes. They're happy and so am I.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
This is one reason that I've always been leery of the Morgans, although I have bought a few, never paying over melt. Seems to me that the magnet test would verify authenticity, or am I wrong?

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I am not an expert on this, and I personally don't buy silver dollars, but from what I have read the Chinese fakes look BU. So perhaps a good way to avoid the fakes is to focus on circulated specimens.

I would thus assume that if you are buying coins that are either graded by a reputable company or look circulated (XF and below) you are probably safe.

Jim

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
OmegaMan said:
Yes, at least once a month I get Peace and Morgan dollars. The ones from China are magnetic and the reverse is a little off. They also sound different when dropped, but yes they are very good copy's.

I trade these with cherry picken tellers for silver dimes. They're happy and so am I.

You havent seen the most recent ones. They arent magnetic at all, they weigh perfect, look nearly perfect and even acid test on the outside well. What they do not do is sound right when dropped together in a roll of real morgans. Dead give away.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread