Mosswisher

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Why attempt to create a labor intensive process to release the gold from the moss. Burn it inside of an old steel container, rinse out the ash... and what have we here? K.I.S.S.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I saw a really neat miller table design last night, gonna work on one for some fines.
[/quote]if when using the Miller table itll run better if you screen it all and run each screening seperatly.and a thin (1/8 inch)sheet of smooth water across the table . no waves or any ripples in the water to distort the flow. a small, even fed of screened cons preferably from a autofeeder will give you good results.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By utilizing your time working gravels you'll get real gold and not microscopic fly specks that don't add up to squat. Work smarter and not harder to prosper. :read2:John

OP
OP
nuggy

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If micro fine gold wasn't worth getting most of the worlds largest commercial gold mines would have to close. I'll take an ounce of fine stuff over a gram of coarse any day.
Of course if you don't have the equipment or skills to catch finer gold, you could be throwing away a large portion of your possible take. Local beach gold on a friends mining licence is very fine 60% or more of the gold he recovers is not visible to naked eye.

Some places have very little fine gold, others have only fine gold - waste of time trying to catch what isn't there, waste of labor and fuel not catching what is there.

Getting onto some good moss, about fifty tiny specs per pan - could get an ounce or more in a week - if you have enough good moss. The moss I'm talking about wont burn very well as its wet and full of sand. It has to come from a river where plenty of fine gold is present and moving in flood times. It will be lying fairly flat and will have gravels swept over it in a flood. If you are not able to process a cubic yard, or don't have a cubic yard of moss that has an average of fifty tiny specs per pan visible - then you are not going to make enough to make it worthwhile.

Also if moss was no good at catching gold - they wouldn't make an artificial version for gold miners to line their sluices with - but they do.

Some folk could starve in a restaurant - don't join them. Nuggy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread