All Treasure Hunting
1) Jars
2) The coil will pick up the silver

vor

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the ones I find are in sardine cans.

You need to look for larger targets and skip the sardines.

Like BDD, he only looks for 55 gallon cans.

V

Last edited:

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most people know that a simple tin can will rot out in a few short years if outside. Older ones have been found in cast iron containers as well as jars outside. I am of the school that most caches were inside caches and I have found one and seen two others that were coins in cigar boxes. I have seen a friend find a small tin can inside with a small roll of bills in it. Yes, a cast iron pot of coins with a lid might give you a funny signal, that is why most true cache hunters don't use discrimination.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most people know that a simple tin can will rot out in a few short years if outside. Older ones have been found in cast iron containers as well as jars outside. I am of the school that most caches were inside caches and I have found one and seen two others that were coins in cigar boxes. I have seen a friend find a small tin can inside with a small roll of bills in it. Yes, a cast iron pot of coins with a lid might give you a funny signal, that is why most true cache hunters don't use discrimination.
If you cant hunt without discrimination, it will give a lot more targets. I sometimes only get the chain instead of the pendant. I can go deep that way and I am never disappointed when I pull a ear ring back out of the hole, or a zinc penny that has corroded. Still looking for my cache. Good post guys.

OP
OP
B

bikerjon

Greenie
May 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been hunting in an old mining town and like most of these towns you hear about how cutthroat they can be. I can't help to think that if I were in a town like that I would hide my money. You can't carry it around and you don't want to leave it in the bunkhouse. I've been detecting around old stone walls foudations large tree stumps and other landmarks. I'm not using discrimination but there's so much trash I hear. I can't help but think I may pass a hoard that is in a can or cast iron. I'm pretty new to detecting but i've been trying to go out and learn as much as I can. Any tips you can give would be great. Thanks

OP
OP
B

bikerjon

Greenie
May 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks casca. I kinda found one that was my dads. He built a cabinet for his shop. Nothing to fancy but it looked really cool. I noticed that the top front doors were green and about the size of a dollar bill. the rest of the cabinet was unfinished. I took both sides apart and found a one hundred dollar bill in one of the panels. I think he has more caches but I couldn't find them. I hope to go back to search the house more. I think he would of told us about them but he passed away kind of fast. I hope you find your cache someday.

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My grandpa was a bootlegger in Texas during prohibition and the way he and grandma hid their money was to put it a tin can and toss it out the back door on the trash heap. I'm pretty sure they didn't leave any tin cans to be recovered today but there are a couple of large cache's of full liquor bottles that i know they never retrieved.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find more in plastic jars ,like peanutbutter or mayo jars.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
gunsil, I've found 150 year old Prince Albert cans that still had paint. They don't rot that quick.

mcb

May 6, 2012
Northeastern ohio
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro, Fisher F70, bounty hunter IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never found a coin cache thus far. Although a friend found a few coins placed in an old makeup cameo. Its all metal with a cameo face on the front.

mical66

Jul 17, 2012
Greeneville , TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when i was a teenager , my dad was paid to haul off a bunch of junk from a mans back yard. we took the stuff that was metal back to our house to add to a truck load to sell for scrap. there was a old refrigerator that when we opened it , had a bunch of pill bottles in the door, we started to throw them away when my dad noticed there was money in them . found over a thousand dollars in 20's and 100's.
dad put them all in a brown paper bag and drove right back and gave it back to the old man.
not sure if that counts as a cache ?
lol

OP
OP
B

bikerjon

Greenie
May 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when i was a teenager , my dad was paid to haul off a bunch of junk from a mans back yard. we took the stuff that was metal back to our house to add to a truck load to sell for scrap. there was a old refrigerator that when we opened it , had a bunch of pill bottles in the door, we started to throw them away when my dad noticed there was money in them . found over a thousand dollars in 20's and 100's.
dad put them all in a brown paper bag and drove right back and gave it back to the old man.
not sure if that counts as a cache ?
lol
Wow thats a cool story. Yes, I think that was a cache. I'll bet you can still see the look on the old mans face when he looked into the bag.

OP
OP
B

bikerjon

Greenie
May 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there's a story behind everything you find treasure hunting. Maybe the person buried it so they could return for it someday. Most of the treasure we find can't talk but it's fun to use your imagination to try and figure out, why you found it, who wore it and/or who wanted to spend it but lost it. Cash is cache.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bikerjon

Greenie
May 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never found a coin cache thus far. Although a friend found a few coins placed in an old makeup cameo. Its all metal with a cameo face on the front.
What a nice find. Not only did he find a cool makeup cameo but then coins are inside. I'd like to think that's a cache.

OP
OP
B

bikerjon

Greenie
May 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I value your opinion. East and west are different. Theres so much humidity in the east and almost no humidity in the west. I've been in both climates and even today if I had silver and I was out in the west and it was a temporary storage I probably would still go with tin. It's small, more available and it won't break. Again the cache that i'm looking for would be around the 1900s . I like what you say "most caches are in caches" Sorry for my rookie questions I guess I just need to do some tests with silver inside of tin, cast iron, ect. That would be cool to find silver in a cigar box. I hope i find something like that and I wish the same for you too. thank you.

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I have found coins cached in old masons jars with zinc lids that had white glass seals. I have found old large paper money in Prince Albert tobacco tins, but they were inside a wall of an old building. I don't keep count. Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found 2 cache's ,, one was a cache of 120 brass trade tokens ( saloons,book stores,billards,cigar stores etc,etc,) it was buried about four feet deep in an old coffee can,,,,, the other was hidden under the attic floor boards of a house from 1895 it was a cigar box from a Colorado tobacco store,8 barber coins,gold ore ,and an old fire dept button that was still shining like the day it was made. Hope I get to find another someday,,,,,ahhh what a feeling

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions