Most coins found in this park turn orange

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Am guessing this is from highly mineralized ground. They do not have a sprinkler system here and if they did its Lake Michigan water not well water. There is anoher ri in town i have seen the same thing. These are both older parks about 1.8 miles from each other.

OP
OP
gerryk

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The age doesnt matter. I havent found any older coins here rather 70's and newer but it all coins.

kw509

Sep 13, 2013
I find a lot of orange coins here in Spokane Washington as well. Our ground is heavily mineralized.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All clad coinage turns orange to brown over time. Some places it happens faster than others.

aurumdigga

Oct 1, 2011
Cumming, Ga.
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Clad here turns green. This could be oxidation of iron and acid in the soil. Maybe Alkaline soils turn coinage orange,............ never seen that here in Georgia.

I do know that the state of Illinois has alkaline soil because the water table is alkaline from water studies I have done. I would be guessing about Oregon or other States.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
There is some clay in this rain/snow watered Mi. field, clad wants to be copper colored.​
IMG_0010.JPG

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here in Central AR, I find a lot of clad and wheats that turn orange/red. Mostly the wheats seem to turn red that are dated in the 40s'. I have found a lot of wheat pennies dated in the 20s' that are still brown. I find very few that are corroded green. Newer zinc pennies come out of the ground ate up and not looking like pennies. Perhaps one day the environmentalists will ban zinc pennies because the dissolve in the ground, lol.

I wonder if the metal composition in wheat pennies had changed over the decades?

aurumdigga

Oct 1, 2011
Cumming, Ga.
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here in Central AR, I find a lot of clad and wheats that turn orange/red. Mostly the wheats seem to turn red that are dated in the 40s'. I have found a lot of wheat pennies dated in the 20s' that are still brown. I find very few that are corroded green. Newer zinc pennies come out of the ground ate up and not looking like pennies. Perhaps one day the environmentalists will ban zinc pennies because the dissolve in the ground, lol.

I wonder if the metal composition in wheat pennies had changed over the decades?

When I was a bartender in Atlanta in the 70's, we had a co-owner of the 3 star restaurant & bar that hid pennies in his walls as he built his new house. I remember him saying that they were the purest copper that you could get. I think this changed in the 80's and beyond. Maybe Jimmy Carter had something to do with it. I blame him for just being him. I liked his brother Billy better.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
This color change happens when the soil in the area is mostly damp all the time, it is the copper in the clad that is leaching out into the surrounding coin metal. In fields and yards that have been fertilized through the years, will do the same. Pennies from fertilized fields and private yards will get the sickly green slime on them. And I.H.'s will get the green shiney patina on them where the ground is moist most of the time, down deep..........nge

OP
OP
gerryk

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would explain this. This park at times floods when the pond floods and runs over the banks. They also fertilize the grass so its nice and green when not brown from no rain.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At least you found a 1968 40% silver half dollar =) it should shiny up super fast with a little baking soda paste and rinse well after rubbing with fingers.

aurumdigga

Oct 1, 2011
Cumming, Ga.
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Down here in the South, silver comes up clean with no orange color at all. I will have to go north to hunt to see this but it has to be a mineral element reacting to alkaline or acid soils.

Are these orange colored finds near hardwood trees or pine trees?

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Down here in the South, silver comes up clean with no orange color at all. I will have to go north to hunt to see this but it has to be a mineral element reacting to alkaline or acid soils.

Are these orange colored finds near hardwood trees or pine trees?
We are speaking about clad coinage, not silver. If anything, silver may turn various "Shades of Grey" to pitch black........nge

aurumdigga

Oct 1, 2011
Cumming, Ga.
Detector(s) used
AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
An older penny will turn green down here. That is why I was asking about the trees. If you see Pines, the soil is acidic. If you see hardwoods, the soil is more to the alkaline side. The penny here turns green in all soils. This means it is an iron or high iron situation we have here. Oxidation of copper happens with pipes in houses where the copper pipe is in the ground or near the ground here in Georgia.

Aluminum will make copper break down, I can show a picture of this if anyone is interested.

But then, there was a time when aluminum wiring was used in houses. When you connected a copper wire to the aluminum you might start a fire in the walls.

Some specific mineral is the culprit and it isn't iron.

Last edited:

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I just got back from a short hunt, the two pennies and one clad dime came from an area that is wet all the time (red) the 2 quarters and one nickel and one dime (all clad) came from an area that is dry most of the time.......nge

Attachments

• Red cents and clad.jpg
    Red cents and clad.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 87
OP
OP
gerryk

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just got back from a short hunt, the two pennies and one clad dime came from an area that is wet all the time (red) the 2 quarters and one nickel and one dime (all clad) came from an area that is dry most of the time.......nge
thats what most coins look like from the park i had gone to.

kw509

Sep 13, 2013
I mostly hunt old homes & 60% odd the clad I find is red, 30% is black, the rest looks normal.

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all, it's the copper coming through the cupro-nickle, it happens to clad up here in Detroit as well! HH.

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey all, it's the copper coming through the cupro-nickle, it happens to clad up here in Detroit as well! HH.
Yep, that is what I was trying to convey. Older nickels also have copper in them.....nge

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread