Most coins in my yard corroded

MountainDewed

Oct 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am just learning the basics here and doing a little practicing here in my yard. I have found quite a few coins, but most are eaten up. I'm wondering if a previous owner used to dump chemicals like gas/oil for example before everyone became knowledgeable of the harm from dumping stuff in their yards? It's not an old place(1976 or so) but is kind of depressing to see so many coins ruined. I have found quite a few tire stems so maybe one resident used to do some auto work in the yard and I can see that's just chemicals everywhere.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
fertilizer does that to modern coins...especially zinc pennys.you dont mention the type of coins but I bet the pennys suffer the worst.If you have evergreens...they produce pine needles etc which are very acidic.If he was dumping motor oil or the like your coins would be as fresh as spring air.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fertilizer and these cheap as crap new coins they make now days. Clad is not what it once was.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The coins that are all eaten up, are they pennies? Pennies from 1983 thru today are primarily zink. Can you post some pics to illustrate your point?

Baja

Sep 9, 2015
Mesa AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur ll -
Minelab CTX-3030 -
White's Spectra V3i -
w/ Sun Ray DX-1 probe -
Fisher F75 ProArc -
w/ Sun Ray Invader FX-1 probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious as well to see a pic of some of the coins you have dug up that are decaying.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Gasoline won't hurt a coin and oil will actually preserve it better. It's the phosphates, sulphur and nitrogen (added or natural) that attack coins. Worst are the modern clad because they are self-contained galvanic corrosion generators.

Last edited:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the original poster dissappeared....wow... thats new(lol)seems like another drive by posting.....and they wonder why we dont take them seriously.

advice for new folks...stay engaged...respond...or be filed under the popular file as yet another drive by posting..:dontknow:

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe that peeing in the yard is not good for coins

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the original poster dissappeared....wow... thats new(lol)seems like another drive by posting.....and they wonder why we dont take them seriously.

advice for new folks...stay engaged...respond...or be filed under the popular file as yet another drive by posting..:dontknow:

Disappeared? since yesterday? Come on Squatchy, give him a chance

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
seemed like days...but we see.If I'm wrong it will be the norm.does get tiresome tho to try to help folks and they arent even there.its like my ex

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
oooooh squatch divorcee's?

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nope....not wrong...drive by poster.may the zinc pennys of a thousand tramps infest his sites....lol

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigfoot 1, If you had given all your finds to your ex, she may still be your wife. Think about it, and get back to us.

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dewed: Same here. The zinc pennies in my yard look moth-eaten while the coppers are oxidized but mostly intact.

OP
OP
M

MountainDewed

Oct 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, been away, I'll show some pics but do think they are the zinc pennies, there are a few I can't recognize. Thank you all for responses!

OP
OP
M

MountainDewed

Oct 4, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okie, finally got the pics. Seems like the nickels and dimes just start to rust and wear out by the letters first,

The blob I didn't mean to have in pic, is just a lump of lead I think
WP_20151021_15_51_24_Pro[1].jpg

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the pic, the pennies are all 1983 or newer I bet. These are the zinc we mentioned that they corrode badly. The others are simply clad that had discolored due to the iron and other minerals in the ground. When you dig a true silver coin, it will come out of the ground as pretty as the day it was dropped. Nothing to worry about, normal condition for coins being in the ground for quite some time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread