Most luck? Bags or boxes?

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
I know this could all depend on the area. But what might yield more luck? Sealed boxes or bags from a coin machine? I have access to both. My pickup bank which I have used for years before I started CRH had asked if I wanted to get boxes or bags(since another branch has a coin sorting machine and they get bags) My first thought was oh that could be someones dumps, but it also could be people dumping change jars who have no clue what is in it.
My other pickup bank I have access to String boxes and have only done 1 dime box so far since I got my money together to buy one.

Upvote 0

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
If I had access to bags, I would buy all I could until I started finding lots of dumps in the bags. If they are virgin bags coming off a coin counter that is not being used by a fellow dumper, they should be great. If you are recycling dumps, I would switch to boxes. JP

buckanear

Oct 27, 2009
My strategy was buy from garda dump where brinks picked up.Garda boxes were great then poor.Out of desperation i've been getting brinks boxes and bags they've been as good or better than garda.Go figure.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Bags off of coin counters can be wrong. Very wrong. /especially/ if you get half bags. If you get a bag of halves off of a counter, expect them to contain several half dollar sized tokens, several bent quarters or nickels it counted as half dollars, lots of foreign, etc. On the other hand, you could very well get a collection dump. My best score was a $50 penny bag off of a coin counter, contained about $10+ worth of wheats and gave up a few IHs too. Expect to take a $5-10 loss on every bag you get. Yes, most of the time they are right and occasionally a bit over, but they can be off, and off by a lot and complaining about them being off is a sure-fire way never to be allowed to pick up bags from that bank again.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been able to get bags in Los Angeles, has anyone here been able to past or present?

dossier

Aug 23, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a bag once. It yielded 7ounces of silver. They won't sell me bags anymore lol. I guess that teller got reamed out because of it or something.

sshafer11

Jul 29, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bags are a risk vs reward scenario sort of. They have a potential to have a lot of silver in them, but you also have the potential to be shorted. If you have the option to do a bag I would definitely go for it at least once. I have yet to find a bank that will sell me bags.

OP
OP
M

mws_1984

Sep 2, 2011
Still debating it, I have access to boxes now so think I'll stay off the bags til later. I really can't afford or stand to take a loss if a bag is short.

dossier

Aug 23, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mws_1984 said:
Still debating it, I have access to boxes now so think I'll stay off the bags til later. I really can't afford or stand to take a loss if a bag is short.

I think the risk is minimal. If by chance you are shorted, they should be able to work with you and find out where the error occurred. God I wish I could find another bag

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont mean bags off lobby counters, Los Angeles doesn't have those and a 25 year teller veteran said she never saw one here in her career.

I am talking bags directly from the sorting facility off an industrial grade counter would be accurate counted and weighed.

Anyone ever get them in Los Angeles and from what bank?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Of all the bags of halves that I've bought off the counter, they've held silver and have always been full of xtra quarters, nickels, Susan B's and Sacs.
Lucky I guess.

dossier

Aug 23, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bigheed said:
I dont mean bags off lobby counters, Los Angeles doesn't have those and a 25 year teller veteran said she never saw one here in her career.

I am talking bags directly from the sorting facility off an industrial grade counter would be accurate counted and weighed.

Anyone ever get them in Los Angeles and from what bank?

Ooo, nope I've never had a bag from a sorting facility.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bags can be good and they can be lousy - Customer wrapped rolls can be good or they can suck ,
boxes can be good or they can skunk you - seeing a pattern here ? In my opinion , coin hunting
in the aforementioned formats - is very random ! We humans like to be able to impose patterns
where- perhaps they don't really exist . Argentium (those who continue to seek will find)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread