Most overrated movie

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
For me this is a tie. "The Deerhunter" and "Close Encounters of the Third Kind."

I walked out on Encounters at a theatre back in 1978. Got bored to death. And recently I saw Deerhunter again on disc. Except for the Vietnam Russian roulette scene with DeNiro, that whole movie was a drag. The wedding scene could have been cut by 2/3 its length. Thing just droned on. I ended up hating the whole picture and still can't understand how it won 5 or 6 Academy Awards.

OT

OP
OP
Old Town

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Diggin, Avatar did stink. It had a child-like storyline and every move you could anticipate. Even the special effects had all been done before. Man, I hate special effects when they are the movie's biggest selling point. Give me the older films any day.

OT

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I heard was "You have to see Avatar". Well I saw it and it really stunk up the joint. When I told those same people how bad I thought it was, they all agreed. :icon_scratch: They then pointed out the great special effects. :tard: Grrrrr.......

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OT,....that's a tough call! "Most" of the movies I've seen in the past few years have been way overrated.

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have yet to see Avatar.

I love Close Encounters and The Deer Hunter!!! Shame OT!

Almost everything by Tarantino. I can deal with Pulp Fiction but everything else is bogus. He's also the biggest thief in Hollywood. Anything by Rob Zombie and Rodriguez as well (though Machete looks like a Troma movie so I may check it out)

Titanic
Donnie Darko
Requiem For A Dream
Fight Club

Gobpile

Mar 19, 2010
Underground
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX Garrett GTI2000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Avatar! It was i rip-off of the kids movie Fern Gully!

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gobpile said:
Avatar! It was i rip-off of the kids movie Fern Gully!

Ahh, Fern Gully... :hello2:

My sister described Avatar as "cowboys and Indians played by Smurfs." I do enjoy Cameron though. Terminator 1 & 2, True Lies, Abyss and Aleins are great.

OP
OP
Old Town

Old Town

Aug 18, 2010
Key West
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Slasher, believe it or not, Encounters was the last movie I've seen in a regular theater. This in 1978 when this dog-of-a-movie came out. I was with a girl and we where both nearly asleep about the time that space ship hung in the air for way too long. That scene is what sent us out the doors. Things livened up for us after that.

You mention liking "True Lies". I liked that movie too. Can clearly remember watching the production of that film down here in the Keys. Cameron actually wanted to blow up a portion of the old Overseas Highway bridge. The county boys put a stop to that. You saw how the special effects made it look so real however. That scene on the bridge was all computer generated. This was impressive and kept the conservatory people happy too.

OT

montepollock

Jan 25, 2006
ft scott Ks
Detector(s) used
,Eagle Spectrum, Fisher1236x2,CZ5,tesoro golden
Id have to say The matrix..The special effects only serve to reveal the lack of an"intelligent and cohesive" plot..
Minority report is worse..
HH,mont

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
montepollock said:
Id have to say The matrix..The special effects only serve to reveal the lack of an"intelligent and cohesive" plot..
Minority report is worse..
HH,mont

The first Matrix was pretty good, the rest were pretty bad.

turtlefoot13

Aug 23, 2009
The Ozarks, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Alpha 2000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Even though I own a copy of the movie and actually like the style in which it was filmed, I think that "The Blair Witch Project" was overrated and way over-hyped.

Doug

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most overrated movie?

American Beauty

That thing had a much, much better cast of actors than it deserved.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread