Most people give away there treasure hunting spots without even knowing it.

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last night i was eating dinner with my wife and she was watching one of those reality forensics shows,Myself personally tries to avoid anything to do with cops or private detectives.Been there done that but thought this would be worth sharing.The show is called "Forensic Files" that documents past crimes and how forensics solved the case.The paticular episode was about this girl who had been kidnapped for ransom..long story short,The way they found her after 6 years was by a cellphone photo sent to the parents to taunt them,Every cellphone on earth that takes a picture also embeds the exact GPS coordinates from the satellite it utilizes to send/recieve messages. So if you hit the mother lode you may want to think twice before you use your cellphone to snap a picture as proof.Loose Lips Sink Ships" but apparently So Does bragging rights.lol ,Just thought that was a bit of kool info and felt like sharing it with you guys.

HH,John

Upvote 0

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried this. I got a few people to send me a pic. Not one of them had GPS embedded. One was an android smartphone and I had him make sure the GPS was on. I looked at the files in Photoshop. There is a place where you could see the embedded meta-data. The fields were there but blank. Not to say it can't happen.

Moral of story ... use a real camera instead of a smartphone

OP
OP
LuckyThirteen08

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May depend upon the phone,But they all have the coordinates embedded,Its physically impossible for them not to,How you go about accessing them on certain phones is beyond me.

Maybe if you were in a place with no cellphone signal they may not be there but that would be about the only way.I just thought it was crazy.

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it gets its coordinates from the GPS satellites instead of the cell network. So even without cell service the phone would have the coords. Dang, now you got me curious. I might have to poke around and learn more. But I agree with you ...can't be too careful!

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, this is especially rough, considering the nature of this forum. Collectables, gold, silver, hunting spots, hiding places...ect. ect.

OP
OP
LuckyThirteen08

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently from the posts above this has been covered before,But i dont have the time nor the will power to read 500 thousand posts on this forum.Just thought it was neat. I guess if someone posts another silver dime i should send them the links to other ten million dimes on here? or just reply with "Yep,Nothing new here"?? Sorry if you feel its a waste of time but im pretty sure not everyone is aware of this whether its been covered or not already.But thats just one mans opinion.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not me I put duct tape over lens on my phone so it can't even be turned on to spy on me.
My Phone is for phone use only.

& my camera is set to 2001 & left there

Untitledfff.jpg

just in case I need to lie & say no, that's an old picture ! see :laughing7:

OP
OP
LuckyThirteen08

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
not me I put duct tape over lens on my phone so it can't even be turned on to spy on me.
My Phone is for phone use only.

& my camera is set to 2001 & left there

View attachment 679432

just in case I need to lie & say no, that's an old picture ! see :laughing7:

Great Idea!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently from the posts above this has been covered before,But i dont have the time nor the will power to read 500 thousand posts on this forum.Just thought it was neat. I guess if someone posts another silver dime i should send them the links to other ten million dimes on here? or just reply with "Yep,Nothing new here"?? Sorry if you feel its a waste of time but im pretty sure not everyone is aware of this whether its been covered or not already.But thats just one mans opinion.

Lucky_T ! post whatever you wish.

Nothing wrong with posting a new thread

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jagg you were warned about language, next time it will be a timeout.. This is a family friendly forum...

OP
OP
LuckyThirteen08

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nah,No hurt feelings,Just met another "I already know everything" type person,Trust me man,You arent the first one of those to frequent a public forum. If i were easily offended by posts in a public forum id probably have no use for my home computer.Its nice to know the information was already on the forum though,Makes it that much more impressive when you join a new group that has already covered the important things most others fail to mention.I just posted it because i frequent a few other metal detecting/treasure hunting forums and knew nothing of this until last night while watching TV.Thanks for reading and replying regardless though.

HH,John

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
LuckyThirteen08 said:
Nah,No hurt feelings,Just met another "I already know everything" type person,Trust me man,You arent the first one of those to frequent a public forum. If i were easily offended by posts in a public forum id probably have no use for my home computer.Its nice to know the information was already on the forum though,Makes it that much more impressive when you join a new group that has already covered the important things most others fail to mention.I just posted it because i frequent a few other metal detecting/treasure hunting forums and knew nothing of this until last night while watching TV.Thanks for reading and replying regardless though.

HH,John

Hey it's all good. I did not mean to offend. It's just something I do Naturally. LOL

OP
OP
LuckyThirteen08

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey it's all good. I did not mean to offend. It's just something I do Naturally. LOL

We may have more in common than we realize LOL!! No offense taken.

snakeyes

Jan 4, 2007
Northen New Mexico
Detector(s) used
don't laugh viper trident/ E.Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't take pictures with a phone but I do with an I Pod. It has a feature called airplane mode, if it's turned on I should be able to locate the I Pod if it is lost or stolen, but what if it is off would it still have the that information? The 1st pic has airplane mode off and the 2nd with it on. Can anyboy tell where they were taken?

IMG_0466.jpg IMG_0467.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread