Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Most successful pirate was beautiful and tough

Man I thought I was old. Least that's what my son thinks ;D
Grubby
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hmm sabres holding unto to a kerchief, or pistols at 400 meters?

Don Jose de La Mancha

p.s. Yer a professional at hurting a guy sniffff. Not only did you ruin my chance with our Lyn but -----snifff.

hehehe

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It was in the Autumn of 68 I believe, when I first heard of Morgan's loot of Panama.

I was lying in my hammock in the back patio lazily watching the humming birds feeding on the nectar of the flowers in the garden, and the fruit trees , completely relaxed and at peace with the world.

My nature study was interrupted by the slithering plop of huaraches, Luchi, our cute maid was approaching. I managed to roll around enough to give her interesting figure a typical male going over while wondering what was the reason behind the worried look on her face.

Sitting up, I asked her "Que pasa Luchi"? (what is the matter Luchi"?) She replied , "senor, there is a man, a very dirty, low type of man, an Indio at the door . He insists upon seeing you. I told him that you were not receiving visitors", He replied " I have come on a long three days journey to speak with Don Jose, and I will not leave until I have seen him".

Naturally I told Luchi "if our friend has come on such a long journey just to see me, it would be very impolite to not at least talk to him. Please send him in and set another plate of fruit & sweet rolls with a cold drink."

She tossed her pretty head and said "as you wish senor, but --", turned and disappeared. Shortly she returned leading a small Mayan Indian that was wearing clothes that showed three days travel on a third class bus. He himself smelled of chuchupatie, an aromatic herb from the north used by the Indians to repel snakes and body odor and copal.. He stood in front of me nervously twisting his palm hat between his hands, obviously ill at ease.

I said "buenas tardes senor, how may I serve you"? Please sit down and have some refreshments. Mi casa es suyo - my house is yours".

Luchi turned and left, but not before wrinkling her pretty nose in obvious displeasure with our guest. I am sure that he caught it also.

He hesitantly commenced on the food then quickly became ravenous. He noticed my watching him and nervously replied "Senor forgive me, but I haven't eaten for 3 days, I only had enough money for the bus fare".

"It is of no importance my friend, enjoy yourself, later, if you wish, you will have a bath with warm water and soap, the maid (not my Luci hehe) will wash your clothes". "Gracias" he said and continued eating with both hands. I kept a respectful silence letting him eat.

Soon he leaned back and looked intently at me for a while, then said " yes you are senor Curry, I remember you when you were exploring in my country looking for ruins of my ancestors." My family were the ones that gave you the information that allowed you to find that pyramid, remember?"

It instantly registered, yes, he had been a young boy then, and his families information had helped me to find it. This was the key to my being voted into the Exclusive Explorers club. I embraced him as was the custom, we talked about the time that I had backpacked into his jungles, living off of them for 6 months and meeting his family.

I then asked him, "to what do I owe the honor of this visit"? he replied "Don Jose, I come on a very confidential journey, I need your help". "my friend, naturally I will if I can" I replied.

He seemed a bit uneasy, then appeared to have made up his mind and blurted "have you ever heard of a pirate called MORGAN"?

"Of course I have my friend , what about him?"©@
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

next section in the morning or there abouts, if interested..

Don Jose de La Mancha

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

[=Peg Leg .
I really cannot believe that you were in China during this time unless you were a very small child. How is that? Pegger
~~~~~~~~~
Hi I am reposting an article from another site, it may explain a few things with no intent to change the thread since indirectly it did have thieves and pirates involved.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In Christmas 1946 I was in Tsingao,China. This was before Mao's regime took over, the OLD China.

Prior to going to China, my father, who had mastered written Chinese, had insisted that I learn also, so when I finally arrived at the focus of many of my childhood dreams, China, I could basically read a newspaper.

Tsingtao was loaded with refugees, it probably had over 7 times its normal population so the was hardly enough space to move around. Naturally there was a severe food shortage, but as happens in every war torn society, some restaurants managed to say open and find food for the customers.

My Air base was several miles outside of the town. While we had adequate food there, for some reason I decided to go to Tsingao for a Christmas dinner and movie. Have you ever seen "The Bells of St Mary" in Chinese on hard benches at full volume? A unique experience, fortunately they had English sub titles hehehehe.

After the movie I wandered around for a few hours in a jin -riick-shaw, just gawking. I will have to post a story on the pure pleasure of a jin-rick-shaw ride, there is nothing else like it in this world for relaxing transportation once you get over the idea that a human is pulling you around and realize that this is a way of life for him and his family.

About dark, the Cold wind from the Gobi desert started to pick up, I frankly believe that this is hands down, the coldest most penetrating wind in the world. I had placed my Nylon flight suit under my uniform for added insulation, but it had no practical effect, I was cold! The poor Rich shaw man had only a quilted kapok jacket to keep him warm.

since it was now dark, I had missed the last ride back to the Airbase, none traveled on the highway after dark.so I decided to find a room to sleep in. I must have been dreaming, I had forgotten the swarm of refugees flooding the town, there wasn't a room to be had.

After uselessly looking for a couple of hours, it was getting extremely cold. The rick-shaw man suggested a girliehouse of which there were many, however all were closed because it was soo late, sigh.

Finally, as a last resort, he suggested the docks. Sheesh, this is the most infamous place for corruption, crime, and squalidness imaginable. However I no longer had any choice, so off we went.
You have to see to believe it. It was a mass of scrambled, jumbled shacks of cardbard, scrap lumber, and hope. A literal maze of evil smelling, palpable dissipation and crime. The kind of thing one only reads about in a cheap novel.

He led me down through the narrow way between the shacks that twisted and turned like an ant track, to the point that I no longer knew how to go back, I was committed with the expectation of being jumped upon by some of the murderers that lived there. Later I was informed that neither the Police or Military enter there.

We ended up at a small dimly lit room, perhaps 10 ft x 15 feet with the usual murderous charcoal stove giving off enormous amounts of gas which made ones eyes run and gave you a 50 / 50 chance of surviving the night. At the far end there were two saw horses placed across the room with some planks forming a bed. A straw mattress with two rice hull pillows, as hard as Gollum's heart, made up the entire nuptial couch.

The sole occupant was what appeared to be woman of around 90 years old, later I found that she was just 30. I asked her if she had any girl friends that she could stay with for the night. She said "yes" , went to the curtain, that acted as the door, then hesitated ,and softly commenced crying. I asked her what was the matter, she replied "if you send me out of the room, it means that I am no longer serviceable and so I will be turned out into the street.

Well what was gentleman supposed to do? so I told her to stay, but that frankly I did not need her services. sheeshs blushing. Since both could not fit on the plank bed at the same time, we just sat on the edge. I then started talking to her and found that she did not know how to read, so I spent Christmas eve teaching a pore worn out Chinese prostitute how to write simple Chinese.

Christmas day I found my way back out with no problems.

P.s. I gave her all of my money for Christmas.sniffff.? ©©

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cool story, thanks for sharing that with us.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Wow, that was fantastic. There are a number of websites and organizations that are seeking war stories and anecdotes such as yours. I think you should get that documented somewhere.

Darren in NC

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2004
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Homebuilt pulse loop
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

And I guarantee she never forgot the Christmas gift you gave her. An amazing story, indeed.

Rusty Sailor

Feb 26, 2007

Wow Real de Tayopa
You are one great guy. Thanks for sharing that.

And BTW, Diver Lyn, you can park your flippers in our home anytime. You are one great gal.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

He then seemed a bit reluctant to continue, but obviously wanted to, so, having lived with different Indian groups for a long while, and knowing their reluctance to talk to outsiders, even trusted ones, I suggested, "you appear tired, why don't you go to your room, take a warm bath and rest. We can talk of this later".

He appeared relieved and quickly agreed. I called Luchi, she promptly appeared, too quickly to have been in the kitchen - eaves dropping no doubt, this was partially confirmed as she was now looking at my friend in a semi-calculating manner, and her nose was normal. hmmmm.

"Luchi, our guest would like to go to his room , will you also see that his clothes are washed"? "He can use my spare ones in the meantime". She quickly gathered her new potential conquest and left, he, of course, eyeing her with interest. I must admit I felt a bit of jealousy, but then snifff.

After they had left I tried to remember all that I could of Henry Morgan's rape of Panama and of his fellow pirates. I then checked the library and found that I had a collection of semi-paper back pirate books, including one on Him alone.

IT seems that our Morgan not only was guilty of murdering and torturing thousands of victims for money, but also robbed his own pirates of the fruits of the rape. He later showed up in Jamaica with quite a bit of money, but this enormous amount of loot from Panama has never been found nor accounted for.

I kept thinking of the loot from Panama, which to this day has never been accounted for. After a few hours of deep solitary thinking, I called Luchi to bring me a pot of coffee. While it helped, it still left me with many many unanswered questions. Was it barely possible that my Indian friend actually had some information about this loot, or was he just going to tell me another story to be added to the infamous legend of Morgan?

About dusk the friendly little bats started their nightly task of eliminating the mosquitoes in the garden, they were actually unafraid of me, but tonight I was too preoccupied to notice. Morgan's loot kept me absorbed, did it exist, and did my friend have any knowledge of it, if so HOW could a Lancadon Indian know of this?

I was deeply immersed in speculation when I heard a slight cough, it was my friend. He appeared to be a different person in clean clothes and rested. Luchi appeared out of nowhere to ask if he needed anything. He eyed my empty coffee cup and asked in a quiet voice if by any chance any coffee remained. Luchi brightly said "Of course SENOR, en seguida" (of course senor, right away) Hmm senor?

He hesitantly sat down at the table, still a bit uneasy, but relaxed now. "It is a beautiful night Senor " he said. "Yes " I replied, "Isn't the Lord wonderful to us" ?
"Yes" he replied, "it is so". This type of small talk went on for an hour, while inwardly I was almost bursting at the seams with impatience to talk of Morgan. I have learned not to pressure an Indian, when he wishes to talk, he will.

He finally leaned forward and asked me "What do you know of this pirate Morgan"? Having just read all of the data available on him, I proceeded to speak of his life and evil career. He listened intently, then sat back absorbed in deep thought. I left him alone with his thoughts watching my little friendly bats fluttering around.

Finally he stirred and looking intently at me said " I know where this Morgan's loot is hidden". sheehs he now had my full attention. I asked him "how do you know this"? He replied, "a long long time ago a small boat landed near my family's camp near Honduras on the beach where they were gathering fish and clams. The leader was dressed in finery and asked my family if they knew of ------. My ancestors relpied that they did. He asked them to show the spot to him, which they did. His men then proceeded to carry boatloads of heavy objects to the spot and hid them there.

My ancestors were afraid that he would kill them to keep the location a secret, but he claimed that this was Church property and that he was saving it for them. They believed him since many Church objects were in the materiel hidden there. He knew that we would never betray the church. Later he made two maps on some kind of animal skin, and gave one to my ancestor to guard.

This map has been in my family for generations now. We never knew what it said until a trusted friend that could read and write examined it. He became very excited and said that the man that had made the map was Morgan and that it was to a huge treasure from Panama.

We immediately made plans to go there and recover it. We formed a party of seven men and proceeded to cut and hack our way across the jungles of Quintan Roo to the coast near Honduras.----------©

next post tomorrow or thereabouts. Incidentally this is a true story !

Don Jose de La Mancha

Attachments

• Morgan pp1.JPG
    Morgan pp1.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 966
  • Morgan pp2.JPG
    Morgan pp2.JPG
    76.9 KB · Views: 963
  • Morgan pp3.JPG
    Morgan pp3.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 954

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

Don Jose, Compadre,

Thank you..for that story, I have been waiting for 2 years to read it!!!!!!

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

=Cappy Z. Quick drink more Plum Sake so you can think!!! ;) Cap Z.
~~~~~~~

HI Cappy, Think?? no, remember yes. This happened in the 60's

hmm, 60's? sheesh

Don Jose de La Mancha

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Hola Jose,

I've been following the story,
And although it isn't something I would normally be inclined to follow...
I must say, I have been greatly enjoying the thread.
Thanks,
Thom

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Eyes, ears and common sense

Old Dog said:
Hola Jose,

I've been following the story,
And although it isn't something I would normally be inclined to follow...
I must say, I have been greatly enjoying the thread.
Thanks,
Thom

Yep I would swap 100 kilos of gold for 1 ounce of a life like Real's

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado

Gary,
Some would say you have that right,
I have been working for a long time at trying to have as much fun as Jose,
Thinking back I had to stop trying and just carry on. Seems It wasn't so hard after all.

Just a diferent set of adventures.
LOL
Thom
OD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread