spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I doubt that you'll ever get an answer to that question. After all, you're dealing with the most paranoid group of any hobby. One is afraid that if you post anything of value, the taxman will be paying you a visit in the near future.

Hey, they may be right... I take back everything I said :laughing9:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I dunno about dollar values of items posted on this particular forum's "found" section is. I suppose you could scroll down the past archives and simply do some column tabulations for year's worth of posts. But even then "value" is nebulous, because person's can give an appraised value, for example, of a 1 carot diamond ring. It might truthfully sell for $10k or $20k in the store, when it was new. So in the finder's mind, it is "worth" 10k or 20k, or whatever. But truth be told, the intrinsic scrap value of that ring (the stone when loose, and the melt value of the gold) might only be $5k.

Here's one that wasn't necessarily posted on T'net, but is worth mentioning, since you ask about value of things found. This was actually sold at auction, the year after the guy found it in the early 1980's. So there is no doubt as to the value. $45k was a LOT of money in 1983! Heck, you could probably still buy a house with that much money, in 1983, eh? :) So it'd be (when factoring for inflation), like finding a ~ $100k object today?

In 1982, Jim Owens, from Seaside, CA, discovered a $5 "Schultz" coin while searching the beach near Monterey after a rough storm. The 1851 gold piece later sold for $45,000 at auction.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also not posted here but over the last few years there were a few hoards found in Britian. Viking silver coins and Anglo-Saxon gold. Both were quite valuable. Here on T-Net I've seen two complete sets of GW buttons that have to be up there for T-Net posts.

NJ

OP
OP
chatmangreer

chatmangreer

Mar 4, 2012
Greer, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Groundhog, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me and FastJman1 (member) was wondering after seeing many very nice things found here. I'll poke around in the archives like Tom_in_CA says. I haven't found any high dollar items yet but they are still "valuable" to me because of the history or details of it.

Just curious, thanks.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread