Mother load of bills.

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys Recently a bank told me a lady was dropping her collection off and she started by bringing in all of her old bills. She said she needed to get her coins together and when she did the bank will call but for now this is all they had for me. image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I ask should i get rid of some of the ones or what? This is a lot of money and I need to some keep hunting. Would you guys save all of them or sell some? I know my lcs pays 1.10 for silver certificate ones but that seems low.. Advice? Btw I don't wanna get my hopes up but I could be on to something huge here the lady has $1200 in coins... Waiting for a call

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Suggestion: Don't sell anything until you do the research and learn the market value of each bill. For example, though you didn't specify the series date of your Silver Certificates, they range in value into figures over $10,000 in even EF-20 condition (1928E star, for example). Values over $100 can be obtained in the 1934 series, especially the star bill.

You may wish to pick up a copy of 'The Official Red Book of United States Currency' by Kenneth Bressett. I have the 2010 edition; more current editions may be available.

Don.....

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're all just 35 and 57... I made sure to pull all the good ones out trust me! I know the general value of most of them I just don't know if they'll become more later on

Last edited:

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Now I ask should i get rid of some of the ones or what? This is a lot of money and I need to some keep hunting. Would you guys save all of them or sell some? I know my lcs pays 1.10 for silver certificate ones but that seems low.. Advice? Btw I don't wanna get my hopes up but I could be on to something huge here the lady has $1200 in coins... Waiting for a call

That is low for silver certs. I pay $2 each unless they are really nice, then I'd go to $3. $5 silver certs are about $6 or $7.

I wouldn't sell. You could get more on eBay after fees.

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is low for silver certs. I pay $2 each unless they are really nice, then I'd go to $3. $5 silver certs are about $6 or $7.

I wouldn't sell. You could get more on eBay after fees.
Thanks! help me on any of the others? Itd be appreciated! Like the red seal fives, star notes etc.... Im new to this hobby in general Im on my second month of crh

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks! help me on any of the others? Itd be appreciated! Like the red seal fives, star notes etc.... Im new to this hobby in general Im on my second month of crh

I would keep ALL the star notes that are red or blue seals.

The 1934 FRNs, I would keep one of each (the nicest of each denomination) and try and sell the others over face. I just sold a 1934 $50, $20, and a 1950 $10 for face value because I couldn't find a buyer for more and I needed to free up some cash. I invested that money into a B.U. 1946 Iowa silver commemorative half dollar for my silver commemorative type album.

I would keep all the 1934 silver certificate $5s, and any 1928 red seals (if you have any).

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would keep ALL the star notes that are red or blue seals.

The 1934 FRNs, I would keep one of each (the nicest of each denomination) and try and sell the others over face. I just sold a 1934 $50, $20, and a 1950 $10 for face value because I couldn't find a buyer for more and I needed to free up some cash. I invested that money into a B.U. 1946 Iowa silver commemorative half dollar for my silver commemorative type album.

I would keep all the 1934 silver certificate $5s, and any 1928 red seals (if you have any).
Unfortunately no 1928 red seals theyre all 63... would you keeps those? And also should i try to sell the silver $1s and $5s?

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Unfortunately no 1928 red seals theyre all 63... would you keeps those? And also should i try to sell the silver $1s and $5s?

I would pull the nicest bills and the star notes and sell the rest (I don't THINK <--- Don't quote me on this, that there are any rare or valuable things to look for in those, past obvious error bills or bills with collectible serial numbers). If I were in your shoes, I would keep what I could afford and sell the rest.

That is my personal opinion and you should only take what I'm telling you with a grain of salt, that's just what I would do.

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would pull the nicest bills and the star notes and sell the rest (I don't THINK <--- Don't quote me on this, that there are any rare or valuable things to look for in those, past obvious error bills or bills with collectible serial numbers). If I were in your shoes, I would keep what I could afford and sell the rest.

That is my personal opinion and you should only take what I'm telling you with a grain of salt, that's just what I would do.
What you're saying along with what I've been reading in the Internet sounds spot on so that's what ima do! I can't wait because the same person who brought these in also is bringing $1200 in coins. They said they'd call me first thing.. They even printed several copies of my name and number haha. They don't want them so fingers crossed !

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
What you're saying along with what I've been reading in the Internet sounds spot on so that's what ima do! I can't wait because the same person who brought these in also is bringing $1200 in coins. They said they'd call me first thing.. They even printed several copies of my name and number haha. They don't want them so fingers crossed !

Good luck to you. I hope you are able to get some good stuff. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check this out its crazy! I thought someone scribbled all over this bill until I accidentally stumbled across it online now I'm only 17 so I had no idea what it was but I definitely think you guys will really appreciate this! The Short Snorter Project - Home Page - What is a Short Snorter? very very interesting piece of history
image.jpg

P.S. it's a 1935 silver one

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check this out its crazy! I thought someone scribbled all over this bill until I accidentally stumbled across it online now I'm only 17 so I had no idea what it was but I definitely think you guys will really appreciate this! The Short Snorter Project - Home Page - What is a Short Snorter? very very interesting piece of history
View attachment 1147983

P.S. it's a 1935 silver one

That is so cool. I have never heard of that before. Indeed, an interesting and awesome piece of history.

I really hope that bank calls you when that lady being in her coin!

HH

Vdubguy

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending on how long you are willing to hold them, you could list them on your local craigslist site in an attempt to save the online auction fees if you know what you want for them. If they don't sell after a couple weeks/month, then try something else such as eBay.

I recently sold/tried to sell most of the old currency that I had collected over the last 10-15 years or so, and basically determined there isn't much demand currency, especially most federal reserve notes. When I was asking at a local coin show, almost all the dealers just told me to bring the common ones to the bank or spend 'em, even the 1934 stuff as there was zero interest in those, even at face value. From the comments, it sounded like most dealers said they spent them as well.

The rarer star notes, silver certs, and red seals should have some value, but finding a buyer isn't as easy for currency in my experience. Hopefully, you'll have better luck.

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any word on that lady getting her coins together for deposit yet?

HH

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any word on that lady getting her coins together for deposit yet?

HH
Omg noo praying maybe this week... The lady is really old and to get that many coins together is prolly gonna be really tough. Idk if there's anyway for me to like help her lol the bank isn't gonna give out of personal info or anything, so just keep waiting

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WOW!!! I had never heard of a "short snorter" before, that is really cool!
When I first read it, I was thinking that maybe it had been rolled up tight into a straw, and then.. well, you know.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread