UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All, take a look at the photo below. See anything that catches your eye in it? Does it look natural, or does it look like the work of humans? I encourage people to offer an opinion here. After some people have had a chance to respond, I will post again with photos from the actual site.

Triangle.JPG

nmth

Oct 11, 2012
NM/AZ
Detector(s) used
V3(i), ATX, uMax, Gold Bug, TM808, Custom
I see a triangle shape, too. Depending on why I was looking at the area, it would probably get me out and about. It's about even odds that places I find in person end up being observable from above. Really depends on the terrain. It helps my eye to close the loop, however, each time I go through the process. Looking forward to your up close pictures.

OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I was referring to the triangle that is visible in the image. All the sides are 30 feet long, and all angles are the same. Something you would not expect natural forces to produce. I have not seen anything like this before, which is why I found it so interesting and worthy of investigation.

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also see the triangle, on a steep slope with snow/ice patches.
Looks like an relatively open area, with evidence of having been burned over, so I suspect a natural feature. Standing and fallen tree trunks typical of a hot fire episode, so could be three trunks, all about the same length, that simply came together on the slope that way. I've gone out to investigate a lot of interesting geometrical shapes myself over the years, with about 90% or more being nothing more than a good excuse for a bit of exercise. But you learn a bit from every one I guess.

Last edited:
OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually its on a hill with very chalky dense soil, and subsequently very little grows on it. It hasn't been burned. There are a lot of such bald geographical features in the area, due to poor soil conditions and high altitude. Anyone want to see what it looked on the actual site?

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course.

Matts triangle on GE.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My photos are too big evidently, I will post once I make them smaller

somehiker

Silver Member
May 1, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Waiting to see those photos of the actual site and surrounding trees.
Still looks like a burn area to me. Here's one GE grab of a big fire area that I was there to see first hand back in "88.

Yellowstone burn area.jpg

Same blackened stumps and fallen trunks on a steep slope as I see in your screen shot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
UncleMatt

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I apologize for not posting photos as I said I would. Got very busy with the holidays, but will have vacation time between Christmas and New Years when I can take care of that.

And no this is not a burn area. No Forest fire has occurred in this area for over 100 years, and probably for much longer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread