Mother of all Caches?

eckstar

Nov 26, 2008
ok. so I stumbled upon the largest (in size, anyway) cache I've ever run across.

I was clearing out another abandoned building with my buddy on Tuesday, and my mind kept drifting back to an outbuilding on the property. It appeared to be a two car garage, with brand new siding, but it didn't seem to have a single door or window anywhere. I kept wondering why someone would build a new garage, and not install a door. So while my buddy was salvaging some leaded glass windows from the house, I went out back to take a closer look.

What I saw, up high, under the soffit, was a padlock attached to the siding. On a hunch, I cut the lock and pulled on the hasp, and a section of the wall swung out. whoever built the garage had built in a hidden door. When I stepped inside, I realized why they had done it. Tools, building materials, and basically anything else of value have a habit of "walking off" in this neighborhood, and inside the garage , from floor to ceiling, were obviously the materials and tools used by someone in the building trades.

I sealed the hidden door back up, pulled a large dresser in front of it, and returned today with a 14 foot U-Haul truck. Here's the final tally:

700 lbs of scrap iron
15 lbs of brass
4 lbs of copper
10 new or nearly new tires on rims
7 craftsman style doors, with hardware (4 cast, 1 wood, 1 ceramic, and 1 bakelite)
1 brand new aluminum full lite storm door
1 brand new 2 lite aluminum storm and screen combo
3 steel entry doors
5 rools of roofing felt
3 rolls of asphalt roofing material
2 steel security doors
1 steel security gate
4 boxes of ceramic tile
27 4x4 glass window blocks
5 halogen work lights
1 drill bit set
1 complete socket set
1 power washer
2 garbage cans full of assorted garden tools
1 residential boiler
and 1 vending machine

Total investment $85 bucks for the truck, and 5 hours of my time. Not a bad ROI

Will upload some pics as soon as I figure out how to transfer them from my phone to my 'puter

Upvote 0
OP
OP
E

eckstar

Nov 26, 2008
mrs.oroblanco said:
Geesh,

Do you get hired to do that kind of thing? (clean out buildings)

I need a new job!!!

Beth

Yup. I get paid to clean out properties that are either bank owned, or are slated for demolition by the city, and whatever I haul out is mine to dispose of as I see fit. It's a pretty good gig.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eckstar said:
mrs.oroblanco said:
Geesh,

I need a new job!!!

Beth

Yup. I get paid to clean out properties that are either bank owned, or are slated for demolition by the city, and whatever I haul out is mine to dispose of as I see fit. It's a pretty good gig.

Damn!!..I need a new job :icon_scratch:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that is a cool find. A new type of treasure hunting for sure. Be sure to run a detector around the places. Ya never know what will happen :thumbsup:

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Make sure you check the vending machine for change.

My neighbor bought a used Pepsi machine for $300, and found over $250 in quarters inside!!!!

OP
OP
E

eckstar

Nov 26, 2008
clovis97 said:
Make sure you check the vending machine for change.

My neighbor bought a used Pepsi machine for $300, and found over $250 in quarters inside!!!!

Unfortunately, it was empty.

underarock

Mar 27, 2011
Southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CZ-70
Primary Interest:
Other
That was my shed you cleaned out. what do i owe ya? minus the lock you cut on a hunch. :laughing7:
nice find let us know what the total value scrapped when you can.

Az Old Noob

Dec 28, 2007
Arizona
eckstar said:
mrs.oroblanco said:
Geesh,

I need a new job!!!

Beth

:icon_thumright:
I've been doing the same thing out here in Az. for the last few months. It is truly amazing what people will walk off and leave behind.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread