Motherload help

Dgoldman

Feb 24, 2014
So calif
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Makro pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello fellow prospectors. I am reaching out in hopes that someone can help.

I live in So Cal and have been prospecting for about 30 years. Once a year I used to visit a good friend who lived in James town and he would let me on his claim on Woods Creek for a few days. Sadly, about 7 years ago he passed away. He was my mentor and could find gold like no one I knew. I would like to take a trip with a friend back up to the Mother load area and try my luck at panning, sluicing, sniping and crevising for a couple of days on a state rec area or elsewhere. I have heard a lot about the Bear River and it sounds interesting. I would probably camp but would like an area that doesn't attract trouble if that's possible. Any help or ideas on a few locations from someone who has frequented some areas would be greatly appreciated. If anyone is in the So Cal area I can reciprocate on the area I prospect.

Dgoldman

Upvote 0

MadMarshall

Nov 12, 2012
na
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I personally would take my pick of any of the American Rivers over the bear. I personally am a tad partial to the North Fork.. Anyway you will Find free camping on The NF American in the Wild An Scenic Portion of the river and you will find that you are not nearly hindered By Park rules.. Easiest way is thru Pennyweight trail on Iowa Hill Rd and parking is free if ya don't mind a short walk. Also a many public Campgrounds as well..Anyway I suspect someone else will chime in with other decent places to get some color.

Gold-Diver61

Mar 21, 2014
Hawthorne, Nevada
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dgoldman, Gold-Diver61 here. You can still get on Woods Creek. A buddy of mine, Brent Shock, runs Gold Prospecting Adventures in Jamestown. They have a store there, where you can practice-pan, buy anything a prospector would need, and they do gold tours on Woods Creek. I would advise talking at him first. Plus, he's got a million stories of prospectoring, area history, the biggest finds etc. 800-596-0009 or e-mail [email protected] Guaranteed a good day. GD61

SchoolOfHardRocks

Apr 30, 2014
Gone, With the Wind
Primary Interest:
Other
Dgoldman, Gold-Diver61 here. You can still get on Woods Creek. A buddy of mine, Brent Shock, runs Gold Prospecting Adventures in Jamestown. They have a store there, where you can practice-pan, buy anything a prospector would need, and they do gold tours on Woods Creek. I would advise talking at him first. Plus, he's got a million stories of prospectoring, area history, the biggest finds etc. 800-596-0009 or e-mail [email protected] Guaranteed a good day. GD61

Yeah, woods is a nice creek..FYI it was damn near dry last time i went out there..about 2 months ago.

OP
OP
D

Dgoldman

Feb 24, 2014
So calif
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Madmarshall, thanks for the info. After some research the North Fork sounds like where I want to go. Do you recommend any campgrounds or reasonable hotels nearby? Lastly, if I snipe, how's is the water temp? Do I need a wetsuit or is it warm enough to be in for a hour or two at a time?

OP
OP
D

Dgoldman

Feb 24, 2014
So calif
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold-Divers61, I appreciate the help. I would be willing to bet your friend knew my friend. He was pretty well known in the area and his claim was close to Gold Prospecting adventures. I am looking for an area where I can work where I don't have to pay anyone though. Thanks for the tip. Dgoldman.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mariposa county-Merced River doesn't dry up. Bagby Rec area on 49 outa mp north or go towards Yosemite,bottom of the hill hang a left at Briceburg to rec area. Good gold for many years. Get in river bed and work that black crumbly slate and contact points of harder rocks/greenstones/quartzy stringers. Closer also by hours-John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread