Mountain Lion sitings Finally CONFIRMED in Western Ma.

DougF

Mar 19, 2007
Maryland, USA
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro
It's very likely that cougars are in many areas of the eastern US. There are more forests in eastern states than there were 100 years ago, any detectorist is aware of all the small towns and small farms that are now forest land. As far as carrying a gun for protection, it may be that it ain't the cougar you *see* that you should worry about, but the one you don't see until it's too late. A gun is probably not a bad idea anyway.

One last thought - I have learned to take photographic "proof" with a grain of salt.

Cr4zyH0rs3

Mar 3, 2007
MA.
Detector(s) used
X-70 & Myself
mistergee said:
yep ...been telling us in Pa..they dont exist...but everywhere ive hunted the locals were always asking us if we saw any big cats...and the next door neighbor told us one came down over the winter and died in her yard...she called the warden but he never showed...after 3 days her son in law buried it....she has lived there all her life and i think she knows what a mountain lion looks like....the PGC has been denying thier existance for years....even though they supposedly released some in the western part of the state years ago....i too have seen thier tracks and spoor.....
the southwest has many types of cat, including jaguar.
thats a new one on me :icon_scratch:....if true youve got potential maneaters on your hands

Really I thought Jaguars hang out in the Jungle aka Rain Forest. :icon_scratch:

The solitary jaguar is found in the tropical rainforests and swampy grasslands in through Central America stretching into South America. The jaguar is known as a forest dweller, with its highest population found in the lowland rain forests of the Amazon Basin. They are also found in high altitudes. The jaguar generally chooses an area where there is a source of water and enjoys swimming or resting in a stream on hot days, like the tiger does.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
Ive seen on a couple programs that the jaguars are in a # of southern states now. the DNR deny the cougars in the UP of mi as well, Ive seen one jump across the road one night, in laws seen one, then in Aug. 2 different neighbors of my folks saw one on different days in the same week with in a 1/4 of the folks house, the bear and cub thing happened last month as well where the in laws neighbor got in between the cubs a motherwhile walking the dog, bit up his hand and arm, but he got away. i don't like detecting with out my dog for an early warning, no gun but have my sharpened leache and hunting knife hanging on my hydration pack and hip, its funny i never worried about this stuff when a kid, exploring out in the woods even though at one time i almost collided with a black bear on my 10 spd bike up the road

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
So true Thompy. And in the Northern Lower Penninsula too.
That being said, I don't worry about them. I have spent most of my life in the woods, and as long as you keep your head out or your rear end you really shouldn't have to worry much.
Close encounters with a sow and her cubs is one of those things that you need to watch out for.

Walked right up on a couple of bull elk during rut once. That tends to make a guy feel small and insignificant.

The only reason I would carry in the woods is to hunt, or for the two legged variety of predator in more populous areas.

HH
Mark

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
mistergee said:
yep ...been telling us in Pa..they dont exist...but everywhere ive hunted the locals were always asking us if we saw any big cats...and the next door neighbor told us one came down over the winter and died in her yard...she called the warden but he never showed...after 3 days her son in law buried it....she has lived there all her life and i think she knows what a mountain lion looks like....the PGC has been denying thier existance for years....even though they supposedly released some in the western part of the state years ago....i too have seen thier tracks and spoor.....
the southwest has many types of cat, including jaguar.
thats a new one on me :icon_scratch:....if true youve got potential maneaters on your hands
To cover you and WV Hillbilly;you are both right .WV and Pa DNR's both deny responsilility for and the existance of coyotes,cougars ,and rattlesnakes in areas that have been historicaly devoid of them for over a century.
'Splain to me how a nextdoor neighbor killed a coyote in his cow pasture a few years back with a PA Game Comission
tag in it's ear.
WV DNR regs say cougars are protected even though they don't exist here.
A WV DNR executive divulged to me in 'priviledged conversation',that they have been releasing rattlesnakes, via helicopter, into 'environments devoid of but previously receptive to rattlesnake populations'.
We,as a community,spent over 200 years making our environment safe and now a government entity wishes to change all that covertly to meet their own agenda.
Go figure........

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread