Mountains ophiolites and gold

Hook111111

Oct 5, 2020
Detector(s) used
Garret atx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenshot_٢٠٢٠١١٣٠-١٧١٩.jpg

Is there a possibility of gold in the ophiolites?

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure. There is gold in seawater so anywhere there had been oceans in past millennia likely has gold in the sediment (now rock).

Whether the cost to extract it from where it rests will be less than the value of what you get out of it . . . there's the rub.

OP
OP
H

Hook111111

Oct 5, 2020
Detector(s) used
Garret atx
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend, from where do I start searching for nuggets, is it from the bottom of the mountain or from the top, and how can I make sure if this mountain has gold in it? Do I use a metal detector

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No idea. I'm not a prospector. I wait for someone to make gold and silver into coins.

In fact, I'm still waiting for that gold coin. ;-)

Metal detectors would be good for nuggets relatively close to the surface. Placer mining and panning are techniques I have never tried.

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
Even if there are indicators for gold, which are found by on site visual inspection and testing, additional sampling would have to be done to determine if there is gold, and if it is in paying quantities. Most of these questions are better asked on any of the several mining forums available online.

Testing samples is paramount. Even if no gold is present, there may be profitable deposits of many other items, such as gemstones, metals, and minerals. Learn to take and test samples in the field.

Time for more coffee.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread