Move boulders with gear that can be packed in.

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have been thinking about what I will need to move boulders, or rocks with what I can carry in a pack. However, the pack also has other tools. Pans, (2) 2.5 gal. buckets, either a 24" Bazooka sniper or a Keene A51a fitted with Gold hog mats. A 6' sling. A small strap wratchet 900lb come along. 4 small metal pulleys. A 1" tiedown strap. 50' of 3/8" nylon braided rope. A Gad bar, a rock hammer, and assorted crevacing tools and a metal detector. Food and a gallon of water.
I am interested in Technique. I saw a technique where the strap was tightened around s boulder, then the come along went over the top to the far side. It pulled the boulder and rolled it. Of course, building a cobble ramp, digging under etc all can help. I saw a technique that uses a rope and a stick. Using a loop around a boulder to a tree. One uses the stick to "wind" the rope in the middle. Surpisingly, this method seemed to have the best torque ratio I've ever seen. I am asking for practical ways to use this equipment to leverage my equipment to move boulders in a stream. I also read the New 49rs piece on this. They recomended finding the gold line and making sure not to roll the boulder right into the gold. Well, I cant seem to find a thread on this here. Maybe there is one. Ok, so what can one do with this equipment? Thanks!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Compadre, Gold Racer, White's TRX,Bazooka GT 24",God Hog mats,Grizzly Gold Trap Motherload, Harbor freight 9 function, Cintech pinpointer, Determination
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Thanks for starting this thread Tahoegold, I order one of the pry bars you featured. My current pry bar is from an old 5' straight axle that was pounded flat at one end shaped into a point at the other. Just plain to heavy for me to pack around any more. If I'm reasonably close to the truck I'll still use it as needed.

Mike

Hi Mike, I think you will like it! It's plenty strong and compact. Let me know what you think! I have yet to go to my favorite spots with this but I have no doubt about It's usefulness and strength. Reed has a video where they used it to move a half a boulder after breaking it with that expanding concrete stuff. It looked like it was working well for them. I am impressed with the info given here and am glad myself for this thread as well!!

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK guys, are you ready for this? You gotta see this guy split this boulder!!!

And these guys cut stone with chissels...

And this one you pansies!!
He does it smoking a cig, short sleeves, no saftey glasses and wearing, no, not steel toes, flip flops.... Gotta see this huge boulder split with chissels and hammers. In credible!!!

And then there's this guy...Stone hinge builder by hand, solo...

Last edited:

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That rock splitting with chisels was impressive and a teaching experience! Its interesting that one method gave a straight break along a straight line and the other a curved and cupped break along a curved chisel line. Seems like two different results were wanted ............63bkpkr

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Right, and I thought with those two methods one could cut any line necessary. With packable tools...in not a very long time span either...

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK guys, are you ready for this? You gotta see this guy split this boulder!!!

And these guys cut stone with chissels...

And this one you pansies!!
He does it smoking a cig, short sleeves, no saftey glasses and wearing, no, not steel toes, flip flops.... Gotta see this huge boulder split with chissels and hammers. In credible!!!

And then there's this guy...Stone hinge builder by hand, solo...

If one heats up the boulder first the "Pinning / wedging process" can be done faster and along more then one line at the same time to reduce the size of a boulder.
A boulder can also be spun or rolled to help with the "Pinning / wedging process" by hand and a few tools.

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Assembler, thanks for that! Heating and Chiseling. Who would have thought this would be even possible!

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK Assembler, you mentioned spinning and rolling a boulder with a few tools. This is what I am interested in. I don't need to split or remove from a stream right now. Could you explain the tools and technique? Thanks!

maurice19

Greenie
Dec 28, 2013
sacramento ca
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is a great thread, but I have lost the ability to open the videos here on T-Net

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks
Maurice

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
OK Assembler, you mentioned spinning and rolling a boulder with a few tools. This is what I am interested in. I don't need to split or remove from a stream right now. Could you explain the tools and technique? Thanks!
Boards and rocks can be used to jack up boulders for one by sea-sawing action to lift up. Second the boulder can pivot on the same center balance point. Third one can roll or rotate a boulder off the same pivot point.

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Boards and rocks can be used to jack up boulders for one by sea-sawing action to lift up. Second the boulder can pivot on the same center balance point. Third one can roll or rotate a boulder off the same pivot point.

Right, ok Assembler, so if I used my bar to move the rock even a little I can let some gravel fall in to keep it in place then move to the other side and do the same. Is this the principle? Maybe you could give some examples? Thx!! Good info!

SunshineMiner

Jun 2, 2014
Someplace Sunny, California
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tahoe - Thats the general principal, but instead of "gravel", you want to be using decent sized rocks. The flatter, the better, or even wedge shaped. Lift one side, stick a rock under, let rest. Left a bit more, place another rock. Try rotating and rolling when possible. Rinse, repeat. Watch your fingers and toes and try not to get your hand under the rock you have lifted. I've been thinking about getting 2x4s and 4x4s for shoring and cutting some wedges and using it for cribbing and shoring.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=shoring+and+cribbing

OP
OP
Tahoegold

Tahoegold

Mar 7, 2016
Carson City, NV
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tahoe - Thats the general principal, but instead of "gravel", you want to be using decent sized rocks. The flatter, the better, or even wedge shaped. Lift one side, stick a rock under, let rest. Left a bit more, place another rock. Try rotating and rolling when possible. Rinse, repeat. Watch your fingers and toes and try not to get your hand under the rock you have lifted. I've been thinking about getting 2x4s and 4x4s for shoring and cutting some wedges and using it for cribbing and shoring.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=shoring+and+cribbing

Thank you SunshineMiner,
This is another nice addition to this thread! I found this video on the sape pagr as the link you posted. I thought these two videos would be nice to put up here for explaining. There's more to this than I thought! And, packable, but it would be on a return trip when I know my actual job...

Cribbing

Shoring

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread