Moving up in the world.

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok so any of you who have been reading my posts might know that I have not been into metal detecting for all that long. Thus far I have done all of my detecting with a Fisher F2 and I will have to say dollar for dollar I couldn't have asked for more, it is a fantastic starter rig. Not too long ago I ran across a local who's into detecting and needed some welding done on his camper, in trade he gave me a practically new Minelab X-Terra 305 (not a scratch). Anyway to make a long story short, I am excited about the upgrade however I would like some input from anyone else who's had one. Good or bad, I just want honest input and/or opinions.

Side note:
Had I been shopping for a detector it probably wouldn't have been my first choice, but it's mine now and I am just curious what I should or should not expect.

Thanks
Icewing

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I take it that not very many folks have tried the X-terra 305.
I'll admit, based on the price point and the description put out by Minelab as being a "beginner" level detector, I wouldn't have bought it either. However after spending an evening just trying to learn it's tunes and what the buttons do, I took it out for a few quick hunts. The first stop was an old walk up burger joint like the one in the movie 'Dazed and Confused'. It's been there since my parents were kids, and is still open today. Luckily I walked up to the window and asked the lady at the window if I could hunt the little grassy patches next to the building where the picnic tables are and she told me to "go ahead". After about an hour I decided I had better give that spot a break and hit it again another day..
image.jpg
That was my fist stop, by the end of the day I had nearly 80 coins, and surprisingly little trash.
I think I'm going to like this Minelab.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never used a Minelab but I always thought even what they consider a "beginner" level machine is more like mid-level, at least compared to true beginner level machines like the Ace 150/250, Tesoro Compadre, etc.

Nice deal, trading some work for a new detector!

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Xterra 705, same machine as yours, but with more bells and whistles. I have owned a bunch of other machines but the Xterra is my favorite. Great turn on and go machine, super audio tones, great target ID and all around fun to use. For more feedback, you might want to post on the Minelab board, but I am sure you are going to love it.

Nice video of an Xterra in action by Goldgrabber about half way down the page.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Icewing

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The more I use this X-Terra, the more I like it. It's already helped me land my first three Indian Head Pennies! And it seems like I'm digging a lot less canslaw.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions