mower + unobservant operator = lack of service

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Richland, Tx....
When mowing, tractor operator cut a down guy supporting the poles that hold the strand that phone cable, both copper and fiber were attached to. This resulted in the whole mess sagging over the RR tracks and then guess what happened. Thats right a train came by and ripped it all down.
The copper cables were relatively small, a 100 pair, a 75 pair, a 50 pair and a 25 pair data cable, but the FO (fiber optics) were 96 fibers which carry a ginormous amount of traffic. (It undoubtedly prevented some of our fellows from logging on to Tnet for a while) The 50 pair copper was an old red and white and as their is no color code involved all pairs have to be toned and tagged and this takes a long time. (I hate it when this happens)
This pic was taken after a new strand had been placed and we were waiting for a 300 pair copper cable and 2 fibers to be placed
We were at this repair for ever. 2 hours sleep in a 48 hour period. Too much for this copper splicer. I slept like the dead when we finally got done.

DSC00322.jpg DSC00323.jpg

CurlysGold

Sep 23, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's crazy. Did you hear about the West Virginia man who shot down the power lines to collect the copper and when he touched the downed line it shocked and killed him? I'll see if I can find the link...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread