Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy Easter !!!!!
Got up early and headed out to recon a street tear up. Arrived in the area and they are just getting started with it. No more then 10 minutes into the hunt I have someone tell not to do it. Blah Blah Blah...... Half hour later another person comes out and tell me not to be doing it, that " IT'S CREEPY". He said he was calling the POLICE. I said all they will do is take my name , check me out and tell me to have fun and good luck. WELL THAT'S WHAT HAPPEN.

So this is TRIP # 1 to the street tear up. I will update it every time I go there....

I did manage to squeak out a 1942 WLH and a few wheats.
Thanks for looking and HH......... Bob.
Street Tear up 2014 7.jpg Street Tear up 2014 6.jpg street tear up 2014 008.JPG street tear up 2014 010.JPG Street Tear up 2014 2.jpg Street Tear up 2014 3.jpg Street Tear up 2014 4.jpg

Upvote 28

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Deer-hunter, thanx for the link ! I loved it :) I too hunt old-town sidewalk demolitions whenever I can. And they can be some of the funnest spots to hit.

I loved the part where the city official was quoted as saying that any goodies found under the street-tearouts belonged (technically) to the city. Well gee, what else is new ? That can be said of ALL a) parks, b) schools, c) beaches, etc.... Yup, every single speck of public land. I mean, our entire hobby falls afoul of rules that forbid "taking", "harvesting", "removing" park features, and so forth. All laws that pre-date detectors, so that no one thinks he can help himself to cut down the park trees for firewood, or take home the park benches, or commercially harvest sand off the beach, and so forth. Could such rules technically be applied to individual coins? SURE!

Thus what that quoted city official said, if someone there is going to be "worried" about that, they might as well give up detecting on ALL public land. I would look at that article as a fluke. Not sure, but perhaps there were just lots of md'rs there making themselves a big red X ? You know, like how a single hunter or two is ignored. But gauranteed: if you put 10 hunters on the same block at 5:01 pm when the workers cut out, then the next passer-by is bound to ask "gee, what are all those guys doing?". See how that same passerby, if it had just been one or two lone hunters, might never have paid a 2nd glance ? I've seen that pscyhology played out over and over.

For this reason, for example, there was an awesome demolition site in San Francisco in 2006, where 10 of us hunters all made a pact: "no one starts before 8pm". Thus for the next 2 glorious weeks, the solidarity was kept. Ah, so peaceful ! So serene! Not saying this solution is perfect. But only saying, I'm betting that in the case of your link, there must be more to that story.

Deerhunter24

Jul 1, 2005
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; Garrett GTI 1500
Deer-hunter, thanx for the link ! I loved it :) I too hunt old-town sidewalk demolitions whenever I can. And they can be some of the funnest spots to hit.

I loved the part where the city official was quoted as saying that any goodies found under the street-tearouts belonged (technically) to the city. Well gee, what else is new ? That can be said of ALL a) parks, b) schools, c) beaches, etc.... Yup, every single speck of public land. I mean, our entire hobby falls afoul of rules that forbid "taking", "harvesting", "removing" park features, and so forth. All laws that pre-date detectors, so that no one thinks he can help himself to cut down the park trees for firewood, or take home the park benches, or commercially harvest sand off the beach, and so forth. Could such rules technically be applied to individual coins? SURE!

Thus what that quoted city official said, if someone there is going to be "worried" about that, they might as well give up detecting on ALL public land. I would look at that article as a fluke. Not sure, but perhaps there were just lots of md'rs there making themselves a big red X ? You know, like how a single hunter or two is ignored. But gauranteed: if you put 10 hunters on the same block at 5:01 pm when the workers cut out, then the next passer-by is bound to ask "gee, what are all those guys doing?". See how that same passerby, if it had just been one or two lone hunters, might never have paid a 2nd glance ? I've seen that pscyhology played out over and over.

For this reason, for example, there was an awesome demolition site in San Francisco in 2006, where 10 of us hunters all made a pact: "no one starts before 8pm". Thus for the next 2 glorious weeks, the solidarity was kept. Ah, so peaceful ! So serene! Not saying this solution is perfect. But only saying, I'm betting that in the case of your link, there must be more to that story.

I think the "more to the story" is that they just didn't want us there.

From what the police said, we were the first and last guys swinging a detector down there. Not sure if that's true, but that article came out just a couple days after we were there.

Who knows if someone else went out there and didn't have a problem...I guess I'll never know. But we questioned the local police and city hall for a few weeks to no avail.

DH24

Chuxter

Jul 29, 2013
You're right. We shouldn't "need" to. But that doesn't change reality that detecting (admittedly) has connotations. And that not everyone might like it. So as much as I agree we shouldn't "need" to go at low traffic times, yet I'm afraid you're simply not going to get every last person to roll out red carpets for you. Thus, rather than thinking I need to get every last person to love and kiss me, I might just choose to do some parks at 2am. Should I "have" to? No. But is it reality in some locations? Yes.

Tom, you're right. I'm just frustrated we feel this is the best solution to the problem. But I still would love everyone to roll out the red carpet for me. Ha ha.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread