Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since Monty has been away hunting he has not got his prospecting fix and is grumpy!? Things improved this morning and now Monty is OK again.? I have seen dozens of examples posted on the forum but this morning I found my first cap from a tin of Merry Widows!? Yes Sir, 3 Merry Widows, selected and tested, price $1.00!? I guess those things really use to be popular and I see them posted as found all over the U.S. of A.!? Amazing, but not really excellent.? Also found nineteen clad pennies, and 3 clad dimes, a dozen or so pull tabs, some lawnmower slaw and one golf cleat.? But I have a short story to tell of what else happened this morning.
? ?I arrived at my "hunted out" park just after daylight, wanting to work some paths that meander through the park.? I had been working these paths all last week and finding quite a bit of clad, a few wheats and a class ring.? I continued where I left off and noticed a large shadow come between me and the sun.? I glanced up and just saw the outline of a huge bird swooping down among the trees.? ? I thought, " Well, I wonder what kind of bird that was"?? (We have an eagles sanctuary not far away along the Arkansas River).? Thinking it might be an eagle gone astray, I tried to keep track of it out of my peripheral vision.? I didn't see it again for several minutes and soon paid it no mind as I continued detecting along one of the paths.? After about twenty minuets I heard this God awful screeching and chattering from a bunch of the local resident squirrels which caused me to look up.? I looked up just in time to see a huge white or light gray owl swoop down out of a tree and nab a full grown red squirrel off the? ground not 20 yds away!? Without so much as beating its wings the owl with the squirrel grasped in its talons swooped back up into the trees and on off to distant places!? The rest of the squirrels continued screaming and chattering for ten minutes after it had grabbed its prey and gone! Quite a sight!? All the time I have spent in the woods hunting and exploring I have never seen that!? ? I don't know what kind of an owl it was but it had a wing span of at least 5 feet and was a huge bird.? ? It wasn't an eagle and certainly not your garden variety old hoot owl we have around here.? Later I am? going to run a google search and see if I can identify it.? The first thing I thought of was a Great Northern Owl but we are not supposed to have any of those in this area.? Perhaps they migrate?? Beats me but excellent!? Monty

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a google on lthe merry widows and found out their names and also that they were intended for being used more than once if you can imagine that. I just wonder who tested them and how? No, I guess I really don't want to know! Monty

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
My understanding is that there were 3 in the container, 1 for each of the named widows. Why do you think they were merry? ;) BTW was a great marketing scheme in my opinion.

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
:o :o I'm SHOCKED! :o :o

It crossed my mind that I didn't know what they were, BUT <gasp> I never imagined!! I was thinking some type of pills or candy. ;D THEN I had to figure out all the CLUES! ::) ::)

You guys are a mess!! Thanks for the laugh! ;D

Noodle

OP
OP
Monty

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't be shocked Nana, it's every bit as much a part of Americana as anything else. The military use to issue condoms when a soldier was stationed outside of the continental USA. VD at times disabled more troops than bullets! Most GIs had to sit theough several gory VD films up until about the end of the Korean war. They stopped doing that for some reason. I think it happened just about the time penicyllin became plentiful. Also, an example of what BC was available prior to the pill. Nothing to be embarassed about, just a fact of life. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread