Mr. Keene if youre watching...

mcordell

Nov 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Mr. Keene if you're watching...

Mr. Keene, mcordell here. If you're listening, I have an upgrade for ya. Put one of your sluice boxes into a bucket and ask yourself whats wong here. This is where the gold meets the pan. I see the clamps in the bottom of the bucket and the riffle anchor bolts up top. BACKWARDS. Put the crossbar with clamps upflow so I can release without pulling the sluice out of the bucket and lift the riffle plate upwards out of the bucket. If you don't sue me, I'm going to call my sluice the Improved Keene. Please don't sue me. Can I field test any of your new equipment?

Upvote 0

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
Niiiiice! I hope you don't get sued cause I'm in big trouble too if you do.
Modification is the key to the forward motion of any craft. If what we have won't work, make what does.
Hope it works out for you Mc.

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Doing that you lose the handle to lift the front of the sluice out of the water, then you'll start flushing gold...

omnicron

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2012
Caldwell, Idaho
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have the risers and cross bar at both ends of the riffel rack.:goldpan:

That's going to cost them like 5 more dollars in material and time, therefor they have to charge another $50 bucks for their sluice.
The easiest solution is to get a square bucket, like the kind kitty litter comes in. That's what I used when I was using the A52 and it worked perfectly.

Last edited:

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
I've been at this a few years and noticed commercially manufactured sluice boxes are garbage. I've chased so many lightwieght aluminum and plastic sluice boxes down creeks i don't even wanna think about it. The plastic ones also crack easily. Probably the reason the Ole Timers didn't build their sluice boxes outta Balsa Wood (LOL). Now i use a sluice box i built myself made outta 1/8 th inch thick steel with a ribbed rubber mat glued to the bottom. Inside the sluice i use Razor Hog Mats. Forget the Miner's Moss and Riffle Bars (They're Gimmicky Garbage). The weight doesn't bother me one bit.. I prospect with a lightweight "poop tube" sluice. When i find what i'm lookin for, i haul in the BIG GUN. My entire prospecting and sluice box inventory cost me under a hundred dollars to build.

Doitlaynstyle

Feb 21, 2013
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Rock Nose and sniffer belly
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Get rid of the riffles all together and go with Gold Hog matting. Best stuff for recovery there is. Teh mata just slide right out of the box and into a bucket for easy cleaning. Got mine for the trommel build on Monday. As soon as I get done drilling holes I can start with cutting them to fit the box. 20131114_214111.jpg 20131114_214126.jpg 20131114_214141.jpg

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess I gotta send Doc some money myself. I've seen a bunch of things come and go in this life. Much of it was junk,
Two things I really was surprised by were the gold cube and gold hog mats.
Dang things work!

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's going to cost them like 5 more dollars in material and time, therefor they have to charge another $50 bucks for their sluice.
The easiest solution is to get a square bucket, like the kind kitty litter comes in. That's what I used when I was using the A52 and it worked perfectly.

Yea, that's what I do too. A 20 gal tub that I haul my gear to the dig with and I use it to do the clean up. While I dig I dump the diggings in the tub next to the sluice, then take a break from digging and feed the sluice. :goldpan: I need to get back out there.:goldpan: photo (2).JPG
Back From Heaton Flats 5.JPG Back From Heaton Flats 6.JPG
I mostly go to Heaton Flats Bend, so I can use my mountain bike on the dirt road. If I hike in deeper I set up the tub on an empty Back pack frame. What ever it takes.:goldpan:

mellowyellow

Sep 30, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Gold bug
I've been at this a few years and noticed commercially manufactured sluice boxes are garbage. I've chased so many lightwieght aluminum and plastic sluice boxes down creeks i don't even wanna think about it. The plastic ones also crack easily. Probably the reason the Ole Timers didn't build their sluice boxes outta Balsa Wood (LOL). Now i use a sluice box i built myself made outta 1/8 th inch thick steel with a ribbed rubber mat glued to the bottom. Inside the sluice i use Razor Hog Mats. Forget the Miner's Moss and Riffle Bars (They're Gimmicky Garbage). The weight doesn't bother me one bit.. I prospect with a lightweight "poop tube" sluice. When i find what i'm lookin for, i haul in the BIG GUN. My entire prospecting and sluice box inventory cost me under a hundred dollars to build.

Your not gonna find a Keene A52 sluice flooring down the creek, if u do, it's user error. Number one selling sluice box in the world. Cant be that bad, lol. When positioned right, this sluice will catch the finest...

Pat will not sue u, hahaa,what u do with your sluice box is up to u after u buy it! Pat is always looking for new ideas so if u have a good idea.. Email him!

Btw, pat is my neighbor and a good friend. I'm not sucking up to him cuz of that.. I just am very impressed with Keene products. Made sturdy, last forever, and catch all the gold. 3 generations of building mining equip has to count for something. Yes, it's a bit pricey, but I will extra for durability.

Good luck!

Aurabbit79er

Oct 29, 2012
Southern California
Detector(s) used
A cheap little Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your not gonna find a Keene A52 sluice flooring down the creek, if u do, it's user error. Number one selling sluice box in the world. Cant be that bad, lol. When positioned right, this sluice will catch the finest...

Pat will not sue u, hahaa,what u do with your sluice box is up to u after u buy it! Pat is always looking for new ideas so if u have a good idea.. Email him!

Btw, pat is my neighbor and a good friend. I'm not sucking up to him cuz of that.. I just am very impressed with Keene products. Made sturdy, last forever, and catch all the gold. 3 generations of building mining equip has to count for something. Yes, it's a bit pricey, but I will extra for durability.

Good luck!

Well said Scott,
I agree, The Keene products are tried and true. Pat said I have one of the oldest 150 dry washers he's seen and it still catch good gold and flour gold. Just need to dig in the right place and run the equipment properly. My A52 is modified and 18 years old, and still doing the job. :goldpan:
PCSC Claim Red Chispa1.0.jpg

OP
OP
M

mcordell

Nov 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Please don't get me wrong folks I love my Keene, except when I have to clean it out. Mr. Keene should just be aware that some of us would try a different brand and (gulp) like it. I hope Santa sees how good I was this year and leaves me a new toy under the tree.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread