Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol - Updated Photos

burlington

Apr 9, 2009
Colorado
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Last month I had the opportunity to explore a new piece of property. The area is rich in history with Indian battles and a Revolutionary War skirmish. The property owner told me that there was a supposed to be a church on the site at one time and an old colonial road passes through the property. My first visit resulted in several buckles, a copper button, and a large keyhole cover. I was anxious to return, as I knew this area was hiding some treasures.

Saturday I was able to get out there for about 2 1/2 hours. I focused my energy in the area the old church sat. Due to the amount of iron, I stayed in discrimination mode and took my time. The first find was a silver spoon less the handle.

When I found the pistol, it was about four inches down under broken pieces of brick. At first I thought it was an old toy until I started cleaning it off. I was rather surprised as to the condition of the gun and am still amazed the screws are still attached that held the frame to the handle. Our friends at "What Is It" have helped me to narrow it down to a late 1700's Muff Pocket Pistol. On one side it reads "New York" the opposite plate reads "Squire & Co." The bottom side of the barrel contains two makers marks that I will post later. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• squire gun 001.JPG
    squire gun 001.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 7,406
  • squire gun 002.JPG
    squire gun 002.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 7,385
  • squire gun 003.JPG
    squire gun 003.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 7,401
  • squire gun 004.JPG
    squire gun 004.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 7,290
  • squire gun 005.JPG
    squire gun 005.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 7,285
  • squire gun 006.JPG
    squire gun 006.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 7,265
  • squire gun 007.JPG
    squire gun 007.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 7,197
  • squire gun 001.JPG
    squire gun 001.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 7,302
  • squire gun 002.JPG
    squire gun 002.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 7,307
  • squire gun 003.JPG
    squire gun 003.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 7,301
  • squire gun 004.JPG
    squire gun 004.JPG
    60.4 KB · Views: 7,286
  • squire gun 005.JPG
    squire gun 005.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 7,254
  • squire gun 006.JPG
    squire gun 006.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 7,233
  • squire gun 007.JPG
    squire gun 007.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 7,177
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol

Imnengr said:
bigcypresshunter said:
Imnengr said:
Awesome find! Similar, but not the same obviously, as this one:
The picture you found is very close. Do you have the link Imnengr?
Sorry, I didn't keep the link, but it was not hard to find it on Google. Congrats on banner!
I searched but couldnt find it. Chances are with a very similar engraving its the same manufacturer and can make the ID. It may be in your history.

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow what a find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MR TUFF

OP
OP
B

burlington

Apr 9, 2009
Colorado
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I would like to thank everyone that has responded and voted on my find. The signifcance of this find has not sunk in as of yet. My hunting time is sure to come to a halt, as I am about to start a new position after a few months of unemployment. Again, thanks for all the responses and good luck.

Burlington

brandywine

Jan 31, 2010
Ecellent find!
Tell me, how do you stablize an item like that so it does not flake away?
I have a five pound ball that I found while arrowhead hunting and it has dried out and flaking away.

Thanks!

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
brandywine said:
Ecellent find!
Tell me, how do you stablize an item like that so it does not flake away?
I have a five pound ball that I found while arrowhead hunting and it has dried out and flaking away.

Thanks!
I think electrolysis will stabilize iron.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I'm betting the frame & barrel are brass which would explain why it's in such good condition. The hammer & trigger guard are steel and have rusted badly. I'm also betting it was made by the same company as the London pistol shown. There were no NY gun makers that I know of in the 1700s and alot were imported from England and had the importers name stamped into them rather than the maker.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on making the Banner! You sure know how to research the great spots! Can't wait to see it next month.

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
Outstanding pistol! The research afterward is as much fun (for you and us) as the retrieval was for you. I would bet same Mfr., wonder how long Squire & Co. were in business?

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding Find. I bet you were pretty happy when you realized that you had a real pocket flintlock pistol! :thumbsup: :wink:

I dug a gun too, but mine was made from cheap 'white' metal called aluminum ;D ;D

1liquigirl

Jun 13, 2005
Bellefonte, PA
I would get it preserved and professionally cleaned as soon as possible so the weaker metals do not rust away. The longer you wait the worse for wear the rusted areas will become. Don't do electrolysis on it, because you may end up with holes where the rust has eaten through the rough spots. Give it to someone who knows what they're doing and can be trusted with the object. Great work! If you find another one and don't want it, send it to my address.

mobile miner

Mar 10, 2010
1liquigirl has it right. Have it professionally restored. You might send pic`s to the NRA museum. they will probably be able to help you ID it.

tinto3

Tenderfoot
Jan 28, 2011
Re: Muff flintlock Pocket Pistol

Jeffk said:
:headbang: :wav: :headbang: :icon_thumright: Sweet Gun :icon_thumleft: :headbang: :wav: :headbang:
jeffk :coffee2:
..................if it were mine i would definately restore it and make a new pistol-grip to like it was. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread