Multi-frequency Coil

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
No word from XP on this, but there was talk about the HF coils and the wet beaches.
So who knows they may have something in the works....
I'm to far inland to worry myself about it.
But it would be nice to have that ability.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For the Deus High Frequency coil $ 425.00 running 1 Frequency at a Time.... or a new machine that can run simultaneous multi- frequency for $ 649.00....and has a smaller 6" coil cumming soon.
The XP Deus Co. better come up with something fast for me to stay with them. [FONT=Open Sans, sans-serif][/FONT]

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm staying with mine. I love the HF coil. I did buy a noxious 600 (couldn't help myself). Anyway, it will be the special use machine for the beach, Deus for every place else. I don't get to the beach too often, I hoping for a worse nor'easter farther down south here. The last couple did not do as much as predicted for my area. Any multi frequency has not really proven itself yet. I really do expect a revolution within 18 months or less in the industry. You know the manufacturers are scrambling right now, due to our perceived market share. However, remember that Bounty Hunter sells more units than any other manufacturer out there. Some folks can't afford 1k a pop for a machine.

OP
OP
D

DigDeepNow

Jul 14, 2016
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thoughts. Thanks.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
A MF (multi-frequency) coil for the deus would be interesting. But I choose the deus among other for the 1 frequency bit.
The new minelab for me won't change a thing.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I’m down for some multi-frequency for the Deus. I think that would be an awesome improvement.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Land or Sea Pointer
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well i hunted with my buddy "Inspector " he has the Equinox 600 yesterday for 6 hrs. strait.
On the way to the truck at the end i said feel how heavy the Deus is and handed it to him he got a big smile on his face and there`s nothing to it .
Not sure if i can swing any heavier machine for 6 hours strait so i`ll stay with the Deus for now .
That Equinox is a very good machine,we found some old flat buttons,lead,part of a rat tail spoon,bullet casing,...all targets in iron...both machines picked them out easily...did a lot of comparing targets,depths and #s.
Gary

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder how multi freq would work with a wireless coil ? Minelab went wired for a reason I am sure . Maybe to keep the cost of coils down ? Seems like this equinox was made to corner the market price wise .They could have released the 800 for $1350 easy .

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Swung the 800 for three hours the other day and no , it is no deus weight wise . I hope the six inch coil will help with that . If not a few more breaks will be happening .

Well i hunted with my buddy "Inspector " he has the Equinox 600 yesterday for 6 hrs. strait.
On the way to the truck at the end i said feel how heavy the Deus is and handed it to him he got a big smile on his face and there`s nothing to it .
Not sure if i can swing any heavier machine for 6 hours strait so i`ll stay with the Deus for now .
That Equinox is a very good machine,we found some old flat buttons,lead,part of a rat tail spoon,bullet casing,...all targets in iron...both machines picked them out easily...did a lot of comparing targets,depths and #s.
Gary

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder how multi freq would work with a wireless coil ? Minelab went wired for a reason I am sure . Maybe to keep the cost of coils down ? Seems like this equinox was made to corner the market price wise .They could have released the 800 for $1350 easy .

Multifrequency coil should be able to be implemented without wires on Deus if the coil brains are up to it. The coil is designed to be efficiently operated from 13 to 80+ khz for the Elliptical, so the coil hardware should not be the limiting component, but processing power and having a viable multi-frequency implementation (that does not run afoul of Minelab patents) are probably limiting. And as we all know, it takes some time for XP to release even minor SW updates. This would be a pretty major software upgrade.

Regarding wireless coils and speculation as to why ML did not implement it on Equinox. There are actually pretty few advantages to going with a wireless coil, especially on a machine that is touted as being amphibious out of the box. While the convenience with respect to coil change outs is nice and perhaps some weight advantages, there are several drawbacks including: coil cost, coil manufacturing complexity, overall machine complexity, more susceptibility to RF and other electromagnetic interference and the need to run an antenna wire between the coil and control box anyway if you use the machine submerged which basically obviates much of the "wireless" advantage.

Swung the 800 for three hours the other day and no , it is no deus weight wise . I hope the six inch coil will help with that . If not a few more breaks will be happening .

Finding I am digging enough targets with it that I am not wearing my arm out too much. Only a pound difference between the two, but I think I have the arm cuff and shaft length set up right for me that it feels pretty well balanced. OTOH, a pound can make a huge difference especially for us older detectorists and I was feeling it a little on a long hunt last week where I was not digging a lot of targets.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sticking with the Deus, and I really expect the whole industry to change before the end of the year. Multifrequency may be yesterday's oatmeal in a couple years if the manufacturers get on their game. I still can't swing more than one machine at a time.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
My thoughts exactly about the 6” coil. I still prefer the swing and lightweight feel of the Deus.
When swinging the Equinox, the controller goes into a slight dive then the coil seems to follow with a minor wobble.
I’ll get used to it for sure but it takes more effort at this stage.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I thought you posted that you sold the Nox 600.

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Land or Sea Pointer
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I`m staying with the Deus too... i`m keeping my T2 Ltd also.. almost sold it to fund the Nox !
My hunting partner has the Nox 600 and a Tesoro Toltec II "one sweet detector"
I`m sure he wants to learn the Deus after he learns the Nox....and i want to learn the Nox ...so it works out great for me.
Gary

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I`m staying with the Deus too... i`m keeping my T2 Ltd also.. almost sold it to fund the Nox !
My hunting partner has the Nox 600 and a Tesoro Toltec II "one sweet detector"
I`m sure he wants to learn the Deus after he learns the Nox....and i want to learn the Nox ...so it works out great for me.
Gary

That plan sounds perfect, Gary. Hope I can get up your way this spring/summer. Will be in touch.

The Equinox does not obsolete the Deus and the Deus is not an Equinox. Equinox and Deus HF will be the core of my arsenal. With the GPX for hard core, deep mineralized relic hunting.

Maine_Capt

Apr 21, 2015
Southern Maine
Detector(s) used
XP Deus * 11-in coil
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Tesoro Silver Sabre II Vintage 1990s
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there guys. I have and Equinox 600 in route mostly to improve my saltwater Beach hunting.

BUT, I am also keeping my Deus. I REALLY love to tweak the XP for my trashy sites, And I really love the regular firmware updates.

Thinking back to old posts that I have read, XP Alain Loubet and his tallented team, had supposedly developed technology that was going to change metal detecting forever. I don't believe those improvements have been implemented at this time... but I'd rather we all get the real scoop from team XP.

I Can Only Imagine what may have occurred during the legal battles and negotiations but I have to say its very curious that the Equinox models seem to perform like a Deus with but with Minelab style tones.

....anyway... hopefully when the dust clears... Our mighty Deus machines will receive their dose of magic sauce. V5 perhaps?

We can only wait and see :)

Last edited:

1942 merc

Sep 14, 2012
sd
Detector(s) used
xp deus , Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well multi freq is a huge improvement . I am still frozen for the most part but later in the day where the sun has been I can dig a little . I have pounded my yard with ATP and the deus LF coil til I could find no more . I found a 1902 O dime over the top of my iron water pipe inlet by the curb four inches deep . Yesterday I found a 1905 penny I know I have been over so many times and a lawn mower clad dime that was bent in half over a huge piece of lead . The equinox is looking like it separates better than anything I have used so far .

I only have ten hours on the machine and I am impressed with it at this point .I have 3-5 inches of snow coming . Someone send some freaking heat this way please .

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From my limited use with the E600 I'm not sold that it "separates" any better.....especially vs 54 and 75 Khz of the Deus....what it is though (and why I bought it);
Deeper for sure (vs HF elliptical)
Waterproof
The benefits of M.F.
Good Pricing for what you get

When you really think about it's just a tamed down, faster Etrac, F.B.S (28 frequencies) vs M.F. (5 frequencies) running at the same time.....nothing really groundbreaking...no new technology making anything "obsolete"....actually surprised Minelab didn't do this sooner with how slow the etrac and 3030 are.

The 600 will get a good workout soon in PA....i will see if it cleans up behind the Deus.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions