Multi tones?? 2 tones?? 3 tones???

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
If you ask about Etrac 2 and 3 tones-they dont work perfect if you want max from detector minelab did poor job, , I mean in Long and smooth sounds no help in 2 and 3 tones, but idea very good. Multi tones is the best with small brother 1 tone.

TabWhisperer

Mar 17, 2010
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
TDI SL, Equinox800, Whites XL Pro w/tone mod, Makro Racer, Whites IDX Pro w/Bills mods
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This past weekend I picked up a few nickles in the stock coin mode. That was on my first ever two outings with the Etrac. All I really noticed is the sound was kind of a werid "moo" sound. It was real different from other coins. The ground (soccer fields) was moist from watering so that probably helped.

MercMan

Sep 15, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Excalibur II
I have dug more nickels with the etrac in just a year and half than I probably dug with all my other detectors combined!!! I have dug 4 buffalo in one day recently.

I run multi tone 85-90% of the time but once I feel have worked an area over really well I switch to 2 tone ferrous and try it again. If there are any targets next to/on top of or below trash you will find them. Questionable signals in multi I switch over to TTF and read them to determine if I dig or not.

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with mercman, the etrac is literally a nickel magnet...I dig them on almost every hunt......forget numbers when it comes to nickels, the only time they are 12-12 or 12-13 for me is when they are very shallow modern nickels. I am guessing you want older nickels, right? then expect to dig stuff like 07-08.....07-10, 08-11.......even 01-12......open your disc WAY, WAY up around nickel area. Nickels bounce all over. And I use multi tone myself, but when in a heavy iron area, I use TTF with an open screen and then getting nickels is like plucking candy from a baby!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions