Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Murder Charge Dropped Against Man who Killed Cop in No-Knock Raid

Grand jury sides with self defense, Fourth Amendment

Adan Salazar
Infowars.com
February 7, 2014

In an astonishing decision, a Texas grand jury refused to indict a Central Texas man Wednesday for shooting and killing an officer who entered his home serving a warrant unannounced, an outcome the man’s attorney says he’s never witnessed in his half-century long career.

On Dec. 19 just before 6 a.m., Burleson County Sgt. Adam Sowders, 31, led a team of investigators in a no-knock marijuana raid conducted on 28-year-old Henry Goedrich Magee’s mobile home in Somerville, 90 miles northwest of Houston.

An informant had told a sheriff’s investigator he had seen 10 to 12 marijuana plants in Magee’s home, along with rifles and a pistol, which were later determined to be legally owned, and that he was a well-known dealer in the area.

Sgt. Sowders obtained a “no-knock” warrant from the county judge on the grounds that an announced entry could rattle a guard dog or would give Magee time to destroy evidence, and would ultimately be “dangerous, futile, or would inhibit the effective investigation.”

When Magee heard strange noises coming from within his home, he “thought he was being burglarized, reached for a gun and opened fire,” Magee’s attorney, Dick DeGuerin, argued in court.

Magee was charged with capital murder, at which point prosecutors had to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that he knew Sowders was a peace officer before he killed him.

“This was a terrible tragedy that a deputy sheriff was killed,” DeGuerin stated in an interview, “but Hank Magee believed that he and his pregnant girlfriend were being robbed.”

Burleson County District Attorney Julie Renken was tasked with proving Magee murdered Sowders in cold blood, and contended that officers did indeed make an announcement prior to entering.

The events “occurred in a matter of seconds amongst chaos,” Renken said. “I believe the evidence also shows that an announcement was made,” she argued, according to the Associated Press. “However, there is not enough evidence that Mr. Magee knew that day that Peace Officers were entering his home.”

According to the D.A.’s own admission, however, a capital murder charge was pursued with full knowledge that there was insufficient evidence to establish the case.

Sgt. Adam Sowders (Photo courtesy Burleson County Sheriff's Office, via PoliceOne.com)

Sgt. Adam Sowders (Photo courtesy Burleson County Sheriff’s Office, via PoliceOne.com)
“If there was not enough evidence that Magee knew Sowders was a cop rather than an armed robber, why did Renken try to indict Magee for capital murder?” asks Forbes contributor Jacob Sullum. “It was the police, not Magee, who created the ‘chaos’ in which Sowders was killed.”

Additionally, says Sullum, the demonstrably futile “war on drugs” is to blame. “His death is doubly senseless: because violence is not an appropriate response to cultivation of an arbitrarily proscribed plant and because, even if we take pot prohibition as a given, there is no need to enforce it by breaking down people’s doors while they are sleeping, a tactic that inevitably results in tragedies like this one.”

The grand jury’s decision is a win-win for everyone; after all, the Fourth Amendment reaffirms the “right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures..”

The decision also respects legislation outlined in S.B. No. 378, Texas’ version of the “castle doctrine,” which permits the use of deadly force when an “actor” believes someone has “unlawfully and with force entered, or was attempting to enter unlawfully and with force, the actor’s occupied habitation..”

As Magee’s attorney correctly summarized, “He did what a lot of people would have done. He defended himself and his girlfriend and his home.”

“Well we feel that the grand jury acted fairly and reasonably and had all of the information that it needed to make the decision that it did. That is that this was a justified shooting and, but we need to say that this is a tragedy,” DeGuerin added.

The move to pursue a capital murder charge despite lack of evidence illustrates how far police attorneys will go to defend their own, while at the same time unwittingly attempting to undermine their own rights.

Unable to get the murder rap to stick, the district attorney says felony drug and weapon charges against Magee will be “fully prosecuted.” He remains in jail with bond set at $50,000.

This article was posted: Friday, February 7, 2014 at 4:32 pm

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's no different then a cop killing a kid with a squirt gun in his hand imo.

however
it is sad they well probably win their case through maximum sentences on the other charges though.

& if not, he better not Drewel on a sidewalk.... ever :(

amgrunt69

Feb 17, 2013
upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That guy's lucky he lives in Texas. If that happened in New York, the poor guy would be headed for Attica .

bsloan

Jul 3, 2010
The heart of Aggieland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
For more info, go to THEEAGLE.COM , several stories, and info that the informant lied about illegal weapons in the house.

It is a shame that this young officer died. I have been in his shoes serving no knocks before, it's not fun.

Bill

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For more info, go to THEEAGLE.COM , several stories, and info that the informant lied about illegal weapons in the house.

It is a shame that this young officer died. I have been in his shoes serving no knocks before, it's not fun.

Bill

Perhaps, but still doesn't seem fair to me. If this Officer had burst In & fired at a 3 year old
who happened to jump up in the corner of the cops eye, it would have been called sad but
understandable :(

This is still america I think.

Smart thing to do these days if set Bombs to your doors & Windows

& Sleep in a sub Basement :sadsmiley:

Again , sorry I am a Law abiding Citizen,
But I still don't agree with the Police tactics these days.

fact is, Everyone leaves there home at some point, & is out in the open, far enough away from everyone, to be approched non violently.

Last edited:

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everyone leaves there home at some point, & is out in the open, far enough away from everyone, to be approched non violently.

Agreed... especially for something like this. So let me get this straight.... If I'm and family are sleeping and "someone" kicks in door and announces themselves as POLICE then I shouldn't start shooting??? So if a couple burglars did this you gotta ask.... who's the ass if you got a loaded weapon and didn't use it? On a personal note... Anybody who kicks in the door here I don't care what you got to say at this moment... it will be the last.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed... especially for something like this. So let me get this straight.... If I'm and family are sleeping and "someone" kicks in door and announces themselves as POLICE then I shouldn't start shooting??? So if a couple burglars did this you gotta ask.... who's the ass if you got a loaded weapon and didn't use it? On a personal note... Anybody who kicks in the door here I don't care what you got to say at this moment... it will be the last.

Yes it would be easy enough for home invaders to Yell "POLICE !"
if there is a provision that word Means you give up your Rights.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes it would be easy enough for home invaders to Yell "POLICE !"
if there is a provision that word Means you give up your Rights.

Right.... I still highly advise using the doorbell and standing to one side after 11:00 pm.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is NO-WAY a murderer, rapist, or robber would yell "Police" <--- That would be fraud and against the law!!!

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is NO-WAY a murderer, rapist, or robber would yell "Police" <--- That would be fraud and against the law!!!

Good point.... didn't think of that. Back to the drawing board... Thanks for the info Ringfinder.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Really?? This has happened many times in NYC, and I'm sure in other places. Thieves say "POLICE!!" and when the owner opens the door they force their way in and rob and kill people.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sorry for the officer and his family, but I agree totally that breaking in for some stupid marijuana is uncalled for. Anyone heard of the Claude Dallas case?? The guy was arrested for poaching a deer, a ticketable offense, but the officer insisted on taking him in, and threatened deadly force, when Claude refused he drew his gun on Claude and Claude out drew him and the officer was killed. Claude has been in prison a long time. Claude's gun was legal, he had a right to defend himself against somebody threatening him even if it was an officer abusing his position.

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I think the court made the right decision, however I think it would still be better to know what or whom you are shooting at. Read not long back a guy fired blind at what he thought was a thief breaking in, sadly for him he shot and killed his grand daughter..so yeah waiting to see your target may get you killed if the perp is faster, but you may end up like that.

Mike

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really?? This has happened many times in NYC, and I'm sure in other places. Thieves say "POLICE!!" and when the owner opens the door they force their way in and rob and kill people.

Ringfinder says that's illegal... Thieves can't say that he says. Ringfinder wouldn't lie about this. Thieves have got to follow the law.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tongue in cheek gunsil, tongue in cheek.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread