Murphy is at work again!

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
I went dredging this weekend and just had a custom built hot water heater made for my dredge. Boy was I excited to go dredging and feel that warm toasty goodness trickle in my wet suit. I arrived at my chosen area, got the dredge all geared up that night, although I did have a heck of a time trying to get the heater threaded onto the exhaust elbow, felt like I cross threaded it a bit, but it was just temporary until I got the header designed better.

I got up at sunrise, I fired the dredge up, got everything nice and hot, and soon I had hot water, wow, it was nice. Then after an hour, I felt cool, too cool! I poked my head up, and there was my heater drooping from the elbow in the exhaust pipe, somehow the threads on the pipe split and sheared off.

So I flipped the elbow over where it had better threads, and the heater screwed in a lot better, problem solved! Or so I thought.... after a couple more hours of dredging, it happened all over again, only this time it wasn't the threads of the heater, it was the threads from the main header pipe that sheared off!! The hot water heater was dangling by the water lines and the red hot housing melted a hole in my water supply hose leading from the pump to the jet!

Auggh, back to the drawing board!!

I dredged for the rest of the day cold and gritting my teeth, but from the test pans, I was showing some very promising color! I had spent hours trying to punch down and through hard-pack and it is very old hard-pack at that! I only had to suck away 3 or 4 inches of sand and rock and I was in a gold bearing layer! I managed to dredge a nice comfortable hole and was about to get past the hard-pack layer where the large flakes and picker nuggets live, and then it got dark.

Ok, so it was off to the van and had some stone cold beef stew and baked beans for dinner, had went right to sleep. I woke up at 6 am to see it pouring down with no end in sight. Heck with it, I am wet anyways, so whats the harm with rain? I got my wet suit and squeezed and tugged my way into it and all the while, I pulled a muscle in my back! I then dredged for about 45 minutes before I realized that leaves were clogging up my foot valve and restricting my pump flow, I was fighting to clear up my foot valve, and that's when I had realized something else, the water got really murky and quite a bit faster, and not long after, it was getting deeper! Daggummit, the river is rising! Well, it took me 2 hours to get all my stuff packed up just after the hunt was getting good, and the weather goofs are saying it is going to rain like this all week, which means whenever I get back to the area, my nice hole will be filled in and I will have to start from scratch all over again!

If I ever get to meet this guy Murphy in person, I am going to blacken his eye! :icon_pirat:

Upvote 0

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Reminds me of the old saying, "If it wasn't for bad luck I wouldn't have any at all." At least now you got some idea of where you want to be so that's something anyway. Good luck on your next trip.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:laughing9: WELCOME TO THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF MINING!! :headbang: yOU HAVE LEARNED LESSON #1 ON HEATERS-they must be bolted to the frame and connected to the enging exhaust port with the flexible metal exhaust pipe-hence no weight bearing on that bouncing like a mad dog engine. Mostly they screw into the exhaust hole and strip the threads or crack the head. I hope you have a mixing tank so you don't melt your back with scalding hot water--oh and you need a garden hose prefilter on your water feedin to remove any tiny rocks that get sucked up through your footvalve--party on-tons a au 2 u2 -John

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trust me there will be worse days.least you got some color.next time material will be loose.but every day from now on the leaves will be worse.might get a break in the weather sun.but the water will be higher and stained worse.get your heater fixed (least you have one)some of us have to pee in our wetsuits-and thats just temporary :laughing7: :laughing9:

OP
OP
Eric Willoughby

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
Hoser John said:
:laughing9: WELCOME TO THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF MINING!! :headbang: yOU HAVE LEARNED LESSON #1 ON HEATERS-they must be bolted to the frame and connected to the enging exhaust port with the flexible metal exhaust pipe-hence no weight bearing on that bouncing like a mad dog engine. Mostly they screw into the exhaust hole and strip the threads or crack the head. I hope you have a mixing tank so you don't melt your back with scalding hot water--oh and you need a garden hose prefilter on your water feedin to remove any tiny rocks that get sucked up through your footvalve--party on-tons a au 2 u2 -John

I appreciate the advice John, I am already there. I have my mixing tank, and sand filter. I went into this after alot of research and talking with many members, our club's vice president was one of those guys who got third degree burns from his heater.

OP
OP
Eric Willoughby

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
strickman said:
trust me there will be worse days.least you got some color.next time material will be loose.but every day from now on the leaves will be worse.might get a break in the weather sun.but the water will be higher and stained worse.get your heater fixed (least you have one)some of us have to pee in our wetsuits-and thats just temporary :laughing7: :laughing9:

Yeah, I noticed the leaves getting pretty thick in the river, and I already have come up with an idea on how to keep them off my foot valve. I'll test run the idea this weekend, and if it works, I will post it on here for the rest of the dredgers to use.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o never EVER pee in your suit-thiourea in urine in a killer and stink and infections abound from sitting in a dirty diaper for hours!! Think zipper!!! tons a au 2 u 2-John :thumbsup:

kilnmaint

Apr 3, 2009
Homewood, Al
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I learned about that peeing in a wet suit. It feels good for a few minutes but the rash lasts for days!! not to mention the washing to get the stink out!!

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the pee in the wetsuit was a joke.--you can use a five gallon bucket with holes drilled in it put a hole in the lid large enough for intake hose then put on footvalve-weight with rocks ,put on lid.for leaves.

OP
OP
Eric Willoughby

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
strickman said:
the pee in the wetsuit was a joke.--you can use a five gallon bucket with holes drilled in it put a hole in the lid large enough for intake hose then put on footvalve-weight with rocks ,put on lid.for leaves.

That is exactly what I had in mind, I see that we think alike sir! :icon_thumleft:

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it will work,but if leaves are bad ,they can still slow intake.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cap'n Crunch said:
I went dredging this weekend and just had a custom built hot water heater made for my dredge. Boy was I excited to go dredging and feel that warm toasty goodness trickle in my wet suit. I arrived at my chosen area, got the dredge all geared up that night, although I did have a heck of a time trying to get the heater threaded onto the exhaust elbow, felt like I cross threaded it a bit, but it was just temporary until I got the header designed better.

I got up at sunrise, I fired the dredge up, got everything nice and hot, and soon I had hot water, wow, it was nice. Then after an hour, I felt cool, too cool! I poked my head up, and there was my heater drooping from the elbow in the exhaust pipe, somehow the threads on the pipe split and sheared off.

So I flipped the elbow over where it had better threads, and the heater screwed in a lot better, problem solved! Or so I thought.... after a couple more hours of dredging, it happened all over again, only this time it wasn't the threads of the heater, it was the threads from the main header pipe that sheared off!! The hot water heater was dangling by the water lines and the red hot housing melted a hole in my water supply hose leading from the pump to the jet!

Auggh, back to the drawing board!!

I dredged for the rest of the day cold and gritting my teeth, but from the test pans, I was showing some very promising color! I had spent hours trying to punch down and through hard-pack and it is very old hard-pack at that! I only had to suck away 3 or 4 inches of sand and rock and I was in a gold bearing layer! I managed to dredge a nice comfortable hole and was about to get past the hard-pack layer where the large flakes and picker nuggets live, and then it got dark.

Ok, so it was off to the van and had some stone cold beef stew and baked beans for dinner, had went right to sleep. I woke up at 6 am to see it pouring down with no end in sight. Heck with it, I am wet anyways, so whats the harm with rain? I got my wet suit and squeezed and tugged my way into it and all the while, I pulled a muscle in my back! I then dredged for about 45 minutes before I realized that leaves were clogging up my foot valve and restricting my pump flow, I was fighting to clear up my foot valve, and that's when I had realized something else, the water got really murky and quite a bit faster, and not long after, it was getting deeper! Daggummit, the river is rising! Well, it took me 2 hours to get all my stuff packed up just after the hunt was getting good, and the weather goofs are saying it is going to rain like this all week, which means whenever I get back to the area, my nice hole will be filled in and I will have to start from scratch all over again!

If I ever get to meet this guy Murphy in person, I am going to blacken his eye! :icon_pirat:
Get in line!!!!! I think he's my co-pilot too!!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread