rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would think with all of their collection they wouldnt mind us saving history, but they do.

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
they see it like because they have a college degree in it...it all belongs to them...since they are "professionals" only they have the right to collect and interpret all of it. Only licensed plumbers should fix drips...only electricians should change light bulbs....

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they see it like because they have a college degree in it...it all belongs to them...since they are "professionals" only they have the right to collect and interpret all of it. Only licensed plumbers should fix drips...only electricians should change light bulbs....

That's sad BUT true!!! AND FUNNY!!!!!

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I can offer a somewhat different perspective. I had a friend who was lucky enough to discover several rare and valuable mineral deposits in New England. The Smithsonian traded him fine mineral specimens from their collections in exchange for the opportunity to obtain nice specimens from him. And, in the world of meteorite collecting, museum trades are the norm, not the exception. Museums depend on meteorite hunters/ collectors to obtain specimens of new falls and finds of meteorites. Museum curators will gladly exchange rare and valuable meteorites to a collector in exchange for what the collector/hunter may have to offer. It's a very common practice and private collectors are able to obtain specimens missing from their own collections through such exchanges from museums. Certainly, at least where mineral and meteorite hunting is concerned, museums fully support private collectors, and especially where meteorites are concerned, museums count on collectors. As do meteorite scientists as well. There is a symbiotic relationship among collectors and scientists in the world of meteorites.

In the case of my mineral hunting friend, he came to know the mineral (and fossil) curating personnel at the Smithsonian, and they certainly came to know him. Everything on a first name basis, and never any discouragement that he should not be hunting and collecting minerals.

i am aware that it is likely a far different story where cultural resources are concerned. Museums have been forced to return portions of their cultural collections to the tribes, for instance. But, at least in the world of mineral and meteorite collecting, museums get along just fine with collectors, and depend on collectors to grow their own institutional collections.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think were the Smithsonian to actually put on public display everything in their various collections, they would need floor space that would cover the entire District of Columbia, forcing Congress, the White House, and all other government buildings to relocate. An idea with merit, perhaps, lol....

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charl is right on the point that they would need more floor space. I just found the best humerus ground sloth bone every to be found/reported in the 2 state area of Ms. and Al. and I donated it to the Museum in Jackson Ms. and by doing this, it has opened the doors for me to more state records and a very personal relationship with the top notch folks with the knowledge of where untold sites are. I have always had a good relationship with a lot of the states field guys, but this has opened up a new world and let me into the back room so to say. Also my state believes in the working relation with the local collector and themselves , because funds have been cut so short that they do not have the money and man power to get out an hunt like we do. Don't be so hard on the museums just because they keep a lot of items out of site. Some may have to do this because of the item being placed in a element that is not good for it and like it was said before just not enough room. Heck even I have that problem of running out of room, so I have to box things up an display only what I want to look at.

OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
i like it,,,a museum the size of DC,,,better use of space than what goes on there currently,,,

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
i know we already knew this but wow...check out these pictures and then consider that ALL museums have most of their stuff out of view...

Museum of Natural History: behind the scenes - Business Insider

just to take a day and wander in the back room...

To stereotype "all" museums is no different than thinking all artifact collectors are grave robbers or meth-heads.

As Charl pointed out, it's often impossible for an institution to display all, or even most, of what they have in their collections. It's not always an issue with space either; some items cannot be put out on public display all of the time due to preservation reasons.

Last edited:
OP
OP
unclemac

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
i guess i am not talking about the mom and pop type in the small towns across the country but rather the big institution types.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions