wildthunder

Mar 18, 2013
RI
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT-pro, Fisher CZ-21 , Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MUSKET BALL???

I would like to know if anyone can identify this as a musket ball. It was found next to an old stone cellar hole. In a place where I have found many old coins 1800s etc.
the dimensions of this led ball is 14.30 mm or 0.56 inches according to my research it would be within the range of a 58 caliber.
There is a big dent on one side of the ball, the only thing that is puzzling me is that the ball is not perfectly round I don't mean the dented part of the ball where it may have had something But it has a almost cylindrical aspect to it.

This would be the first musket ball I have found if it is truly a musket ball or rifle ball. Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

• ball3.jpg
    ball3.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 398
  • ball2.jpg
    ball2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 289
  • ball1.jpg
    ball1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 585
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Greylock

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Western MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a fired round ball to me. It's flat because it hit something.

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I would call it...and I've found about 50 pounds of them!

OP
OP
W

wildthunder

Mar 18, 2013
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it could be a musket ball to me too. Nice find! :icon_thumright:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is definitely not a musket ball. First it is too small, the smallest musket ball would be in the .66 caliber range for the .69 caliber musket. The cylindrical shape is from being loaded and fired in a rifle, the soft lead was deformed when the patched ball was forced down the rifle barrel and then fired. Muskets were loaded loosely with an undersized ball. I would say it is a rifle ball, not a musket ball.

OP
OP
W

wildthunder

Mar 18, 2013
RI
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
riffle ball

It is definitely not a musket ball. First it is too small, the smallest musket ball would be in the .66 caliber range for the .69 caliber musket. The cylindrical shape is from being loaded and fired in a rifle, the soft lead was deformed when the patched ball was forced down the rifle barrel and then fired. Muskets were loaded loosely with an undersized ball. I would say it is a rifle ball, not a musket ball.

with that said, in what time period were rifle balls used ? is this just the difference between rifle and pistol , musket or rifle but still flint lock or black powder style of firearm?

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yup a musket ball...looks like it hit and ricochet[FONT=arial, sans-serif], that's why it's not so round anymore...sweet find...[/FONT]

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It look's to be some type of [lead] round ball musket/ smoothbore or whatever IMO def, larger than any modern buckshot always hard to tell/date certain round balls ,Still a keeper.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muzzleloading rifles were used from at least the 1750's up until cartridge rifles took over in the later 19th century. They still saw some use even later as some people just kept using them in years, they are actually still in use today by blackpowder enthusiasts. Muskets were a larger bore, smoothbore military arm.

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read someplace that lewis and clark carried an airgun rifle that could easily take down a deer. I don't know the caliber.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread