Metal Magnet

Bronze Member
Oct 26, 2010
OH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, headed back to a productive home site that I've pounded for coins. Decided to start digging mid tones. Got a lot of shells, golden colored broken band that I need to test, and these musket balls. One is totally mutilated. The other is in awesome condition.

Any ideas as to age?

IMG00197-20111212-0955.jpg

Upvote 0

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
round balls for sure but not musket. Most likely small caliber rifle, could be pistol but pistols were just not as common as rifles. Look to have some age to them but no way to tell for sure, round balls have been in use from the earliest european settlement to present day.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My guess on those would be buckshot actually, but I suppose they could be pistol shot. can you get an accurate measurement of the most intact one?

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
novafinder said:
probably to a pistol they look like they are a real small cal.
:icon_thumright:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They do appear to be the right size for buckshot, but it looks like you can see the weave from the patch on one which would mean it was fired as a patched ball. Could be wrong though. You really can't say they are small so probably from a pistol, pistols and rifles shot the same range of calibers. Rifles were much more plentiful than pistols, so odds would favor the rifle. There is really no way to say anything for certain though except that they are either buckshot or small caliber round balls.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread