Musket hammer 1st ever. What Era?

Beeps in my sleep

Sep 6, 2013
Shippensburg, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000, Fisher F2, Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I went to my best friend's house in Mainsville, PA. It is just outside of Shippensburg , PA and has had history. During June of 1863 Confederates invaded Shippensburg. They later sent forces to Mainsville to retrieve supplies. I don't know how old this Musket Trigger part is, so if someone can help me date it that would be great. I have never found one of these but it was in the spot they ravaged for supplies. I don't expect it to be civil war but would be awesome if it is. I was just happy finding it! Any Idea of the Era since there is no markings?

CAM_0806.JPG

CAM_0807.JPG

CAM_0808.JPG

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a percussion hammer and is at least as old as the Civil War. Percussion caps for main military use went out of style not all that long after the civil war due to the invention and widespread use of the metallic cartridge.

Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I looked a bit more to see ifI could pin it down and I'm really not sure what type of musket it's from. It's a bit different from both Springfield and Enfield hammers that I've seen. There were so many makers back then though, I'm afraid the best we may be able to do is the date range. Unless of course someone recognizes it right off.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Beeps in my sleep

Beeps in my sleep

Sep 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! I will wait to see if someone can narrow it down for me before I mark it solved. Love the info you folks are providing me with! It is greatly appreciated!

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
This is as close as I could come to your find. The pistol is an 1842 dated U. S. Model 1836 A. Waters pistol converted from flint lock to percussion lock. There were so many different kinds of percussion lock hammers manufactured it would be almost impossible to pin down what gun yours comes from. Percussion caps were invented in 1836, and self contained cartridges started replacing muzzle loaders during the Civil War. But muzzle loading firearms remained in use by many people for many reasons right up until today. I still shoot muzzle loaders.
percussion pistol.jpg [FONT=Arial,Helvetica]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica][/FONT]

Upvote 0

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Find! I can't help with what particular firearm it came from, but very glad you posted it, I may have one in my scrap pile that I thought was a flush handle :laughing7:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Beeps in my sleep

Beeps in my sleep

Sep 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Find! I can't help with what particular firearm it came from, but very glad you posted it, I have a one in my scrap pile that I thought was a flush handle :laughing7:

DIG THAT OUT! lol Did you find it at an area known to have CW activity? Post a pic! I wanna see it! Love this hammer so much I must have held at least an hour total today over the course of the day I kept picking it up and trying to imagine who dropped it? did they die here? did they fight in gettysburg? did they survive the battle and war? Its like a euphoria

Upvote 0

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
DIG THAT OUT! lol Did you find it at an area known to have CW activity? Post a pic! I wanna see it! Love this hammer so much I must have held at least an hour total today over the course of the day I kept picking it up and trying to imagine who dropped it? did they die here? did they fight in gettysburg? did they survive the battle and war? Its like a euphoria
I call what you describe 'The Fever'. It's great to hear your enthusiasm, I know just how it feels.
While some treasure coins most, I think the most interesting finds are the small relics of everyday life from days past.
Many hours have been spent researching some obscure items. Coins are easy compared to some relics.
Recalling the time frame when it was recovered, it likely came from the site that yielded a serpent fusil sideplate and has given many goodies dating 1700-1820.
Will go out and try to find the item when the current downpour stops, it's 52' up here in NH, unbelievable.
This rain is much needed, we've had none for a couple months, when it's this dry there are a lot of sites where the root mass gets almost impenetrable, like coconut husk.
I'm assuming your hammer is iron, did you electrolyse it? It looks great !
HH to Ya, Herbie :hello:

Attachments

• NH FINDS 03-30-2013 043.jpg
    NH FINDS 03-30-2013 043.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Beeps in my sleep

Beeps in my sleep

Sep 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I call what you describe 'The Fever'. It's great to hear your enthusiasm, I know just how it feels.
While some treasure coins most, I think the most interesting finds are the small relics of everyday life from days past.
Many hours have been spent researching some obscure items. Coins are easy compared to some relics.
Recalling the time frame when it was recovered, it likely came from the site that yielded a serpent fusil sideplate and has given many goodies dating 1700-1820.
Will go out and try to find the item when the current downpour stops, it's 52' up here in NH, unbelievable.
This rain is much needed, we've had none for a couple months, when it's this dry there are a lot of sites where the root mass gets almost impenetrable, like coconut husk.
I'm assuming your hammer is iron, did you electrolyse it? It looks great !
HH to Ya, Herbie :hello:

sweet! And it had electrolysis but not a ton. Just enough to clean it up a little bit. I don't want to damage it. It isn't my average hunk of Iron that I am having fun cleaning to see what it is. I wonder if I should put something on it to prevent further rust. Hope your ground stays soft after the rain and HH!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread