Musket piece and good story (link to site)

S

skidooforever

Heres the story of my introduction to treasure hunting and my best find.

I was born and raised at my parents fishing lodge in Northern Ontario until I hit 25 and moved west. My folks owned it for over 30 years now (and want to retire).

One of our guests brought his metal detector, and found a few neat things around the property, and at old cabins and railway spots nearby. He offered to let me use it when he was out fishing, and showed me how to use it, but I primarily wanted to use it to find the rusty nails that would resurface every spring, from old burning sites.
When my sister used it, she found a few things, copper wire, bottle caps...the usual junk, but then found a zippo lighter. I kinda tagged along, and did the digging, and we found more interesting stuff, coins, bullet casings, and lots of bottle caps.

One nice piece was a plain metal button that said Brother Hood. Now it seems uninteresting, but I have a theory where its from.

Before my parents bought the lodge, it was owned by a biker gang, that was tied to the Mafia in Wisconsin (Late 60's). They owned the lodge for a few years, (the source of endless beer caps and broken glass) and were in fact making PCP/Angeldust there. The drug bust that happened there, was one of the largest in Canada at the time. (22 million in cash and chemicals left un-found) We still have a door with bullet holes in it courtesy of the RCMP, and a photo album full of articles. So I think this "Brotherhood" button was a piece left over from the Biker time.

Other cool items found;

Numerous arrowheads, some broken, some laying in plain sight on our lawn. (Our site was a campsite for fur traders located along a key fur-trading route)

A very smooth stone axe-head. (Made from stone not indiginous to our area)

Lasty, my best one.

A brass flat dragon sideplate from a musket (Found 15 feet from the lodge steps) At first I though it was something nice, but unsignificant, until I found a picture of it online. It is about 5 inches long with a hole on each end for a screw. I cant remember the date but it is very old, possibly from a pistol given to the Iroqois natives.
I cant find any pics of it, but I will borrow a webcam, and dig out these finds sometime. (Though some are sitting on the window sill at the camp right now)

Musket piece photo found! At the following site, about the fourth picture down.

http://www.thefurtrapper.com/trade_guns.htm

Upvote 0

JARMAN

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2004
Skid, cool story, looks lik more finds are to come,like a gun or some bones perhaps.HH

Chris in BC

Mar 19, 2003
Langley
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Keene 5" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got to hold and play with a trade gun last week, in perfect condition, appears the same make. Owned by a collector in BC here who deals in rare artifacts. Was a really neat piece of history, loved it. Chris

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story.? Great research.?
Where is that 22 Million???? If you find it, you could share with all you new best friends on the TreasureNet forum.

Haupin

OP
OP
S

skidooforever

I figure, that 30+ years would have deteriorated anything like cash, even if stored the best way possible 30 years ago.

If I can get my folks to scan the articles, I will post them for interesting reading.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WoW, nice finds and stroy!

Good luck on future finds there!

HH

Lonewolfe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread