Musketballs? Found at 1876 School Today!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I hunted an old school site for about 4hrs today in the town of Haydon, ON. I found $3.50 in modern change, 25' of copper tubing in the ground and what I hope are 2 musketballs! They're both made of iron; the smaller one measures 13mm and the larger 19mm . . . the Barbers are just for size reference.

The early history of Haydon began with a crown grant of 200 acres to a Joseph Winters in 1802 and continued with slow growth until latter half of the century. A tributary of the Bowmanville Creek greatly influenced the hamlet’s growth and supported numerous mills, the first of which was the “Haydon Mill”, (a grist and saw mill) built by Charles Bates of the 8th Company, Darlington Regiment in 1847. He built the mill some two years after he planned and laid out the village. It would seem that this mill named “Haydon Mill” later lent it’s name to the hamlet.

The Haydon Public school was built in 1876. It is a brick structure that began as a one room school and has been slightly renovated to include a meeting room, a fully equipped kitchen and 2 washrooms. The building retains many of its historic features including the original wall to wall slate blackboard which is still popular & useful today. The school closed in 1965 when regional schools came into being.

Can anyone tell me if these are musketballs or not? :dontknow:

Happy hunting this weekend everyone, :icon_thumright:
Dave

Attachments

• Musketballs 003.jpg
    Musketballs 003.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 918
  • Musketballs 006.jpg
    Musketballs 006.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 901
  • Musketballs 005.jpg
    Musketballs 005.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 904
  • Musketballs 004.jpg
    Musketballs 004.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 908
Upvote 0

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being iron Dave, "I think" it is quite unlikely. That would be pretty hard on a gun, but hey I sure don't know all, and maybe a few did use such things.

Gonna rain here both days. :(

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most common one (at least around here) is 0.69 inches.

Attachments

• IMG_2734.JPG
    IMG_2734.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 835

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, definitely not musketballs. Musketballs would be made of lead.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done Dave. I think with today's prices, I think the 25' of copper tubing may be a banner find. ;D :thumbsup:
Congrats,
Doug

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ball bearings?

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Rick (Nova Scotia) said:
Being iron Dave, "I think" it is quite unlikely. That would be pretty hard on a gun, but hey I sure don't know all, and maybe a few did use such things.

Gonna rain here both days. :(

As you can probably tell Rick I know very little about ammunition! :tongue3: Makes a lot of sense though why these guys used lead bullets instead of iron, otherwise they'd be having to buy a new musket every year! :laughing7:

September 29, 2011 — Ophelia regenerates into a tropical storm and could bring heavy rain to
Atlantic Canada by the weekend!

It's been cool and raining here in Ontario for the last 3 days now, happy to finally get a break from the heat we had all summer! ;D
Dave

l.cutler said:

Thanks buddy, I'm learning as I go. :thumbsup:

steelheadwill said:
l.cutler said:
Maybe pieces of grapeshot :dontknow:

Thanks Herbie, hope you don't get rained on all weekend! :wink:

ModernMiner said:
Well done Dave. I think with today's prices, I think the 25' of copper tubing may be a banner find. ;D :thumbsup:
Congrats,
Doug

Thanks Doug, it was Herbie that turned me onto keeping all my scrap brass and copper! :icon_thumright: OK, maybe it's more like 15', but it sure seemed long at the time! :D Now that's something I've never hear my wife say! :laughing7:
It's funny, when I found this in the ground I had to pull it out one foot at a time. At one point it just got too hard to keep pulling, so I ended up just bending it to break it off! Who knows how much more I left buried there! :dontknow:

Here's a picture of it!
Best of luck to you Doug,
Dave

CRUSADER said:
ball bearings?

Thanks Cru, I was thinking maybe shotblast from a concrete making company? :icon_scratch:

Attachments

• Copper Tubing.jpg
    Copper Tubing.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 759

treasurepirate1

Aug 21, 2010
Ontario canada
Detector(s) used
fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i love detecting old school houses, but most of them are private houses now so it can be difficult to get permission, i like them because kids always lost things but nothing ever too much of value, but the kids always seem to carry and lose something interesting and sometimes weird so they are always fun to go to.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I understand the softness of the lead being easier on the musket, but is it always a sure thing that iron was never used? Perhaps in later times, lead came in favor over iron, but it seems contrary to be so sure that another material could never be used. Reason I say, is that here in St. Augustine, iron musketballs have been put on display by the local historical society. I've recovered iron musketballs from known military sites here on the First Coast. To be fair, St. Augustine was found in 1565.

OP
OP
ANTIQUARIAN

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
treasurepirate1 said:
i love detecting old school houses, but most of them are private houses now so it can be difficult to get permission, i like them because kids always lost things but nothing ever too much of value, but the kids always seem to carry and lose something interesting and sometimes weird so they are always fun to go to.

I thought this was going to be the case as well TP, seeing as this school was built in 1876. The old school building still gets constant use. . .

"The school closed in 1965 when regional schools came into being. The building and property is owned by Municipality of Clarington and run by Club 21 – also known as the Haydon Community Hall Board. Club 21 members are community at large volunteers who meet the second Tuesday of each month. Various community events such as potlucks, Wellness Days, card parties, yoga classes, demonstrations/classes by local artists, luncheons, community clean-up, open houses, meetings of local organizations, Halloween & Christmas parties are regular events."

I seriously thought this property was going to produce more then just 15' of copper tubing! Though I did pull a '48, '54 & '59 Penny out, but not much else. All I can assume is that other detectorists have beaten me to this location. I'm currently in the process of getting Metal Detecting business cards made, so that I can start asking permission to hunt private properties here in the Durham Region! :thumbsup:

Best of luck to you,
Dave

Diver_Down said:
I understand the softness of the lead being easier on the musket, but is it always a sure thing that iron was never used? Perhaps in later times, lead came in favor over iron, but it seems contrary to be so sure that another material could never be used. Reason I say, is that here in St. Augustine, iron musketballs have been put on display by the local historical society. I've recovered iron musketballs from known military sites here on the First Coast. To be fair, St. Augustine was found in 1565.

I completely agree with you DD! :notworthy: But when the majority of people here are suggesting that I have, "some sort of case shot or ball bearings" , what can I do? :dontknow: I've already thrown my "musketballs" in the trash! :'(

Thanks for your post,
Dave

tndigger2011 said:
looks like some sort of case shot....no way its a musket ball...

Thanks tndigger, I appreciate your posting! :icon_thumright:
Dave

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"OK, maybe it's more like 15', but it sure seemed long at the time! Now that's something I've never hear my wife say! "

LMAO!!! :tongue3: :laughing9:

B|lker

Apr 3, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 And
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe there milling balls originally around 18 inches in diameter and worn down to were they were no longer effective.
I found one near a silver mine north of phoenix Az. and the local museum told me it was a milling ball used to crush the silver from the host rock.
HH
B|lker

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:D I hope that's not the gas line from the butane tank to the school you dug up, Antiq. :D
Tell ya a quick story... When I first started hunting, I got permission to hunt an old house that had been there since the mid 1800's. I was so excited thinking I may find a pocket full of old coins and CW relics. Not ten minutes into the hunt, I found myself digging up the little copper gas line that ran from the butane tank to the house. :-X Yup, I covered up that hole really fast! :D And no...I didn't ruin it. Later on in the hunt I dug up an electric (live) wire that went from the house to the garage. :-X :D Didn't ruin that one either. :help: ..And covered it back up quickly. :D Ended up with tax tokens and a couple of wheat pennies. :P

flatbuttonman

Dec 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANTIQUARIAN said:
I hunted an old school site for about 4hrs today in the town of Haydon, ON. I found $3.50 in modern change, 25' of copper tubing in the ground and what I hope are 2 musketballs! They're both made of iron; the smaller one measures 13mm and the larger 19mm . . . the Barbers are just for size reference.

The early history of Haydon began with a crown grant of 200 acres to a Joseph Winters in 1802 and continued with slow growth until latter half of the century. A tributary of the Bowmanville Creek greatly influenced the hamlet’s growth and supported numerous mills, the first of which was the “Haydon Mill”, (a grist and saw mill) built by Charles Bates of the 8th Company, Darlington Regiment in 1847. He built the mill some two years after he planned and laid out the village. It would seem that this mill named “Haydon Mill” later lent it’s name to the hamlet.

The Haydon Public school was built in 1876. It is a brick structure that began as a one room school and has been slightly renovated to include a meeting room, a fully equipped kitchen and 2 washrooms. The building retains many of its historic features including the original wall to wall slate blackboard which is still popular & useful today. The school closed in 1965 when regional schools came into being.

Can anyone tell me if these are musketballs or not? :dontknow:

Happy hunting this weekend everyone, :icon_thumright:
Dave
Grape shot?? or canister shot?? not a musket ball it would b lead

ossi

Nov 3, 2011
Pannonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO INTERNATIONAL (Nel hunter)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds :icon_thumleft: ossi

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
muskets used a lubricated cloth patch to surround the musketballs, the indians would use small pebbles found in streams, so iron is not out of the question. neat finds and thanks for sharing.

rn_ottawa

Dec 20, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would assume (being a schoolyard) that those are ball bearings that were used as marbles. That was common practice, even when I was in elementary! ~20 yrs ago

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread