Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
sniper19612003 said:
Minelab does make the 10 inch DD coil for the Musketeer. Now don't forget, If you go with alot bigger coil, you take the chance of loosing depth.
I myself would go with the 10 inch DD if I would use any other coil. I use the 8 inch DD coil and it does take a little longer to cover ground. But then I'm the one who finds the good stuff because I can go deep. ;D JMHO.

Sniper
Sniper.. We get bigger coils for more depth what makes you think that bigger coils make you loose depth Every one buys the bigger coils for more depth .

sniper19612003

Mar 9, 2005
North East Pennsylvainia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer/ White's MXT
You have to remember, Bigger isn't always better. Some larger coils do work well with depth. But the larger coils can be affected by soil mineralization and the big bad thing, trashy area. Most finds aren't really all that deep if you really think about it. I just don't want to see someone spend money on things that aren't going to be needed. The way some people talk about getting real deep, they might as well get a box detector and use that instead. (if you know what I mean)
This is just my honest oppinion. Just hope it doesn't offend anyone.

Sniper

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not think your offending anyone Sniper by anymeans. We are all just giving ideas and opinions on what works best for us from experience and all. I would buy a bigger coil in the future for my musketeer, so I could cover more ground. I know a bigger coil would also make some deeper finds. I agree that most good items you are going to dig are going to probably be under 10". But you would have that extra benifit of that merc or half dime that would be just beyond the reach of your stock coil, with a larger coil. I think this is where the bigger coil would come in. Also being able to go faster with your sweep by just walking casually, instead of overlapping your coil so much, would be better with a larger DD type of coil. I have just got into the open field searching. I have a couple of places that are pretty much wide open areas, I can hunt regularly. I would much do it with the larger coil instead of a smaller one. That Coiltek 15" WOT just may be the right size one day. I know they used to say with the larger concentretic coils, that you could pass over some shallow finds. That does not seem to be the case with the DD coils does it?

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Your not offending any one i knew you don't want to use large coils in trashy areas. But that is the first time i heard about large coils loseing depth in mineralized soil. DD coils are made for mineralized soil would that mean all DD coils would lose depth in mineralized soil ?

sniper19612003

Mar 9, 2005
North East Pennsylvainia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer/ White's MXT
I'm not saying just minerallized soil. I should have added that where I detect,hot rocks are also a factor. Now don't forget ,we are talking about the Musketeer.
I'm not saying all detectors are included. I should have said that before, ( MY BAD ) lol
In a open fields the large coil might work good. I feel that anyone should think about how much they are going to use the larger coil instead of using their stock coil like the 8 or 10 inch that the Musketeer uses. There are alot of questions with that. Where am I going to hunt, What are the conditions of the area that I'm hunting, Can I use a bigger coil most of the time when I go out detecting? There are soo many variables that sometimes it does make you think. Sometimes it'll drive you nuts.lol That's the fun part about detecting. Always something new to keep you thinking and always something to keep you on your toes. Just food for thought.

Sniper

Gator01

Sep 24, 2007
Northeast LA
Detector(s) used
XL Pro
MXT
M6
F75SE
ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Regarding the 8 inch slimline and 5 inch excellerator coils. I read a response one person wrote in another forum that the 8 inch actually does better in a trash area than the 5 inch excellerator. Do any of you have experience with this?
I do not own a Advantage but have become interested in one and you are correct you dont see much written about them as they take the back seat to the etracs and explorer units.
I am curious about the weight and balance as well. IF, it were a bit heavy, is there mods, etc, to waist mount them or would a straight shaft work.
I am thinking at the moment maybe an Advantage with 8 inch or the 10 inch slimlines. I hunt older homes in the city as well as older farm sites.
Are the signals modulated? Can you fool, say a bottle cap by sweeping the edge making the signal break up? I see it has an all metal mode switch for pinpointing, can you hunt in this all metal mode or is it a vco type?
Does it size up targets well with the 8 inch slimline?
How is it in unmasking or hunting in a nail infested site?
Thanks for your time,
John

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Gator01 said:
Regarding the 8 inch slimline and 5 inch excellerator coils. I read a response one person wrote in another forum that the 8 inch actually does better in a trash area than the 5 inch excellerator. Do any of you have experience with this?
I do not own a Advantage but have become interested in one and you are correct you dont see much written about them as they take the back seat to the etracs and explorer units.
I am curious about the weight and balance as well. IF, it were a bit heavy, is there mods, etc, to waist mount them or would a straight shaft work.
I am thinking at the moment maybe an Advantage with 8 inch or the 10 inch slimlines. I hunt older homes in the city as well as older farm sites.
Are the signals modulated? Can you fool, say a bottle cap by sweeping the edge making the signal break up? I see it has an all metal mode switch for pinpointing, can you hunt in this all metal mode or is it a vco type?
Does it size up targets well with the 8 inch slimline?
How is it in unmasking or hunting in a nail infested site?
Thanks for your time,
John
John , Yes you can get a stright shaft for them , also Minelab has a hip mount bag for them. .. On the excellerator coils a lot of people like them and a lot of people like the Minelab coil better myself i like the Minelab coil better. I saw were some got the bigger excellerator coil and it would not go as deep as the smaller coil that came with there detector ........... I have a sunray coil and it is a dissapointment to me.... Sandman said the only aftermarket coil he would trust is a coiltek i have to go along with him on that.....==Jim_k==

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gator, as far as the weight goes of the musketeer, it reminds me of the whites coinmaster classic series, before they put the controls under the arm rest, or maybe the silver sabre 2 or earlier models from tesoro that still took the 2- 9 volt batteries before their uMax models came out............ I think it is well balanced too. I have the 8" DD on mine. I am happy with the one I have. I think also like the other members on here do,it is one of the better kept secrets in the single frequency units.

HH, Tim

Bill(de)

Feb 18, 2005
Hi John,

The Advantage is a sleeper detector in that it does many things extremely well but lacks the glamorized exposure of the newer detectors.

Here's a few things i like about the Advantage and why i consider it a keeper.

#1 It goes about as deep as any detector i've ever used including the Explorer
#2 It will work in some very harsh ground due the ability the manually GB and perhaps the DD coils
#3 It does not lose depth when using higher disc settings
#4 The audio is easy to understand regarding the discrimination cutoff points and accepted deeper targets respond with a modulated soft-sweet-mellow response that lets you know you have something worth digging. Not always what you anticpate but worth the dig.
#5 Those rusty bottlecaps can be indentified by a swift coil sweep that will easily be rejected (clipped) by the north and south end of the coil but the center of the coil will accept as good until you lift the coil an inch or so. Most accepted targets will only get stronger when you sweep the coil faster, not so with rejected targets especially ferrous.
#6 Once you mount the control box under the arm cuff there is No balance problem to speak of as weight distribution is fairly neutral unless using super large coils perhaps

There are few negatives as with any detector and
#1 with me is the control box mounted under the armcuff results in poor access to the controls such as pinpoint and all metal vs disc but disc mode is all you need on this detector in my opinion
#2 is price on a new one

Just a few thoughts. HH Bill

Gator01

Sep 24, 2007
Northeast LA
Detector(s) used
XL Pro
MXT
M6
F75SE
ETrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow,heya Billde, havent talked with you for some time now. Thanks for that writeup and thanks to everyone else also.
Ive been wanting one of these for a while now. Ive grown to like a single tone that will have characteristics to it. I have one detector that has tones or I can use it as a single tone. Ive used it for many hours now and decided I like to use the single tone because of all the falsing on iron with the varied tones. I have to turn the signal down if I use multiple tones but in the single tone mode I dont have to do this, however, that single tone has no charm,characteristic so to speak,hope you understand what I mean.
Ive decided to get another machne to accompany and back up my XL Pro. I may wait until spring as I hear good rumors of a new machine. But if I run across a good deal on an Advantage I will probably jump on it, a new one is a bit pricey. I will hip mount it if I get it so the controls will be easy to access. And after what Ive read I will definetly get that 8 inch slimline coil.
Thanks again for the replies and info,
John

jangles

Feb 11, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
MX5 plus many others in the past
Jim_K said:
Has any one used the Musketeer on wet sand on the beach and was it steady is it a good detector on the beach???

29 replies and not one person answered your question...HOW IS IT ON THE BEACH???
I want to know too! :D

OP
OP
Keppy

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
jangles..... You are right on not one answer to the question i have asked ?????????

Attachments

• big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 241
  • big_logo.gif
    big_logo.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 236

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread