Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
don't have the 800, have the 600 but that has to be something for people to really think about.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I noticed that at the beach on corroded quarters, but the tone and and numbers were solid vs. a similar effect with corroded crown caps, but the non-ferrous tone is usually distorted or flutey and/or the numbers jump. So even though I was getting a ferrous tone with the quarter, something about the tone quality told me to keep digging and I pulled a quarter. Another thing at the beach was that I was running into a number of multi-denominational coin spills (quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies). Those gave numbers all over the place but solid high tones from the high conductors though they were "interrupted" by the mid-conductor tones of the nickel or other denominations and included iron grunts too. So to the inexperienced hunter that could be mistaken for a flutey bottle cap. So you understanding the tones and non-ferrous "reverse" ferrous falsing is an important thing to learn about the Equinox. I will pay more attention to this on my next hunt. Thanks, Scott.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something to remember, and dig some of those, thank you.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This happens on most machines. The CZ-21 for example will give you a nice mid tone on a gold ring, but when you move off to the edge of the coil you will get an iron tone.

The reason is simple. Metal detectors simply measure the change of inductance of the coil which is caused when additional metal is introduced into it's electromagnetic field. It's that simple. Metal detectors are not radio transmitters contrary to popular belief.

That inductance shift is not only dependent upon the metal, but where that metal is and how it is positioned in the magnetic field. If it's right on the edge, or ON edge, you can get weird readings, which is why deep targets often sound like iron.

Because this machine uses a DD coil, the width of the field is much narrower than the depth.

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deep wheats and IHP's will do this VERY often too. I hunted with Tnetter Sgoss while he was home and we dug numerous deep wheats that were doing this. 3 IHP'S also. If my signal doesn't "walk" and it sounds a little deeper upon pinpointing it gets dug up. Especially at an old site.

As mentioned before many clad quarters will also do this too. Even some silver on edge. I try to use the signal sound, duration, pinpoint and consistency together as my final dig decision.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Double post....

Last edited:

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I suspect iron I'll get my shovel as deep as possible and give a little pry. Breaking the halo works often for me lately. Signal goes from an iron false to junk really quick. Lol.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I pretty much dig anything with a repeatable high tone in two directions regardless of whether or not there is an iron grunt at the edges.

garynashman1

Aug 9, 2018
Uk
Detector(s) used
equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi I'm new to this site but just watched the vid ,maybe its the small amount of tin in the bronze that's effecting the reading.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi I'm new to this site but just watched the vid ,maybe its the small amount of tin in the bronze that's effecting the reading.

First of all, welcome aboard.

Regarding the tin content in brass targets, as an alloy rather than discrete dissimilar metal parts (like a brass buckle with an iron tongue), a metal detector cannot discern individual constituent metals as it is looking at bulk alloy conductivity and magnetic field distortion (due to target shape and orientation with respect to the detector coil). Now a target comprised of discrete constituent parts of dissimilar metals like the brass buckle and iron tongue or a bottle cap with corrosion or multiple dissimilar metal targets in the same hole (coin spill of different denominations or coins and nails) will give mixed ferrous and non-ferrous combined tones for that reason. The combined ferrous, non-ferrous response for a non-ferrous target is best explained by flgliderpilot's inductance discussion above. A metal detector does not inherently know what type of metal it is passing it's coil over, it just infers it based on the conductivity measured through the inductance shift and magnetic field shape distortion detected by the coil. Also note that several metals and metal alloys have similar conductivities (such as gold, nickel, and aluminum) which why it is hard for a metal detector to discern the difference between a gold ring, US nickel, and an aluminum pull tab.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Calabash Digger

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi I'm new to this site...
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard GoldenHiker! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country). You might also consider adding your state (or country) to your displayed profile (SETTINGS -> EDIT PROFILE) so if you ask a question, etc. - people may have more success helping you (your location may help, etc.)...

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for sharing! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions