MV’s (Minting Varieties) AKA Mint Errors

2Old

Tenderfoot
Apr 3, 2008
[W]Colorado Springs (S)Vallecito Lake, CO
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I hang out mostly on the White’s side of the Forum and don’t get over here much. :hello: :hello:After I got and email the other day from TreasureNet about not logging for sometime. :-\ :-\ I checked in and in looking around I found this area “Coin Roll Hunting”. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

After checking out some of your threads I have a question. I don’t see comments about finding MV’s. Is it because you are not looking or just not posting? :o :o Maybe it’s because it takes more time to look for MV’s. ;D ;D

Attachments

• cane2.gif
    cane2.gif
    10.4 KB · Views: 342
  • cane2.gif
    cane2.gif
    10.4 KB · Views: 336
Upvote 0
I search for die varieties on pennies. I've found some good ones, 1998, 2000 Wide AMs, repunched mint marks, etc.

JasonB

I think a little of both. I think most CRH'ers are not looking for them and those that do except GMan really don't post. Here is a list of some of the Varieties that I have found off the top of my head.

Type II Franklins
55 Franklin "Bugs Bunny"
51-S Frankin DDR
1942 DDO Walkers
64 DDO / TDO / QDO Kennedy Halves
74-D Kennedy
Lamination errors
Clips

And my best variety pulled from CRH is a 1878 Morgan VAM 220.

HH,
65GT350

65gt350 said:
I think a little of both. I think most CRH'ers are not looking for them and those that do except GMan really don't post. Here is a list of some of the Varieties that I have found off the top of my head.

Type II Franklins
55 Franklin "Bugs Bunny"
51-S Frankin DDR
1942 DDO Walkers
64 DDO / TDO / QDO Kennedy Halves
74-D Kennedy
Lamination errors
Clips

And my best variety pulled from CRH is a 1878 Morgan VAM 220.

HH,
65GT350

I just found a '51 S. Is the doubling very obvious? Got a pic of a good example?

On the 51-S just look at the Pluribus, You should see notching on the letters. I will try to scan it tonight and attach it here.

HH,
65GT350

Attachments

• 51S_PUP004.jpg
    51S_PUP004.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 324
i think most of the guys who do errors (aside from the few who do it here) post under "coins" in the forum. i haven't been there in awhile but i remember some kid who got one of those computer microscopes and was posting a hell of alot of errors(most minor) with extremely close up pics.

Thanks, GT. I'll have to use my coin microscope to see if I have notching. I can't tell with the naked eye.

65gt350 said:
On the 51-S just look at the Pluribus, You should see notching on the letters. I will try to scan it tonight and attach it here.

HH,
65GT350

It's hard to tell from your picture, but it looks like it's a damaged coin. :'( :'(
V-B-2 Accidental or Deliberate Damage
Rarity Level: 0
Values: No Extra Value (Reduced numismatic value)

But a 51-S is great find. I'll take a hand full anyday :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Attachments

• cane2.gif
    cane2.gif
    10.4 KB · Views: 282
  • cane2.gif
    cane2.gif
    10.4 KB · Views: 273
That is the problem with using a scanner. In hand you can see the notching on the LURIB in and the sencond U in UNUM. You do need a loupe to see the notching for this variety.

HH,
65GT350

I just found a 77-d collar error which was pretty neat the other day. It basically looks like extra rims.

I am going through my 40% silver clad for variety before I send them to the melt pot.

I found one 1966 DDO (In God We trust)
lots of 1969-d DDR (notch on States, double stars and rays)
tons of 1967 DDR (double on stars)

Has anyone here ever made any real money on these errors? I was excited when I finally found a 1974D DDO that was in great shape and I took it to my local coin dealer and he wouldn't give me 51 cents for it. Said they have no demand for them from customers. I didnt care because I thought it was cool to keep for my own collection.

I guess the answer will be you have to put them on ebay to sell error coins?

Jim

jim4silver said:
Has anyone here ever made any real money on these errors? I was excited when I finally found a 1974D DDO that was in great shape and I took it to my local coin dealer and he wouldn't give me 51 cents for it. Said they have no demand for them from customers. I didnt care because I thought it was cool to keep for my own collection.

I guess the answer will be you have to put them on ebay to sell error coins?

Jim
I wish I could find a market for the 1974D DDO. I have about 8 rolls of them right now just taking up space.

Can you post a nice picture of a 74D DDO here. I haven't had the patience to search them to find one. I'd trade you a 40% for one! Shoot me a PM. I've found a few errors in my 40% but nothing special. I can't imagine where you would get rid of 8 rolls of the 74D errors though, maybe get some trades here!

Maine_Jim

I just picked up a digital microscope. Here is a picture of the 51-S DDR again. You should be able to see the notching better.

Attachments

• 1951S.JPG
    1951S.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 172
supn9, nice find. That is one odd coin. Hopefully someone here will know more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back