Mx sport settings on deep coins.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all welcome to the forum. Since you have only posted once, I am making the assumption that you may just be starting out MDing. Apologies if this is not the case and you are more experienced, but since you have given us nothing else to go on, that is my assumption.

Second, try also posting in the Whites forum for more targeted advice from Whites users

Third, try giving us a little more background as to where you are detecting (e.g., beach (salt or fresh), park, plowed field, type of soil (mild or mineralized), whether the area is trashy with iron or foil). That will help with getting relevant advice like level of discrimination and whether you want to go with all metal or disc mode and adjustments to recovery speed.

Going deep is NOT the end all and be all of detecting. All metal mode typically gives you the deepest response but may not be desirable if you are searching in a trashy or iron infested site. Under these conditions it may be more important to emphasize target separation which may necessitate that you give up some depth. Metal detecting is all about tradeoffs.

OK, back to your question, the plain vanilla answer is:

Use coin and jewelry mode.

Ground balance the detector on neutral ground and lock the GB reading.

Set Discrimination to null out iron. If you go higher, you can null out aluminum but then you risk nulling out nickels and gold items. Best to minimize discrimination to the extent necessary (i.e., iron). Setting discrimination too high can also potentially affect the depth that you can detect a target even if it is not discriminated out.

Set threshold to where you can just hear it hum.

Set sensitivity to the maximum that does not give you noise due to local interference. Another balancing act. High enough to get max depth but not so high that you get noise or overloads from shallow trashy targets.

Tone ID: I use 20 tones myself so that my ears can primarily help me determine whether to dig. You can go with fewer tones, but then you become reliant on the display to give you "dig - don't dig" clues. 20 can be unwieldy for the newbie, so primarily using the display to decide may be more suitable if you are just learning - so go with 4 tones.

Have fun and HH.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome from White Plains, New York! vferrari gave you some great advice! :occasion14:

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been rocking the sport for a bit now. Let me know if you have any questions. Quick note though it runs pretty hot to start with and you get pretty great depth even with the sensitivity around 6 or 7 out of 10. I Run all metal mode to catch the deeper silver and when I get a curious blip, I crank up the sensitivity and check it out. This has found me quite a few deep silvers so far, and even deeper coppers. Also pay no attention to not using all metal mode in the trash. I prefer all metal because it tells me more info by being able to hear where the trash is. Also you can catch those soft faint blips that allow you to investigate by turning up sensitivity, because normally you can't run it full blast while searching.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread