MXT at the Beach

old_mikee

May 26, 2007
Burbank Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT; Minelab XTerra 70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hope everyone had a great Saturday and that someone can give me an answer within a few hours.

My wife and I are going to the beach tomorrow, and I am not sure what coil would work best on the MXT. My two choices are, the stock round Eclipse 950, or the 6 x 9 oval Eclipse DD?

Also, in dry sand would I be better off searching in the Ground mode or in Salt? (I am assuming searching in wet sand would be salt)

Thanks,

mikee

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I would use the DD coil on a beach it has more coverage you can cover more ground with it..An also the DD coil handles the mineral's from the salt water better.......TAKE THAT MXT AND AMERICAN HAWK AND CLEAN THAT BEACH OUT

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
Use the salt setting in the wet sand and the ground in the dry.

OP
OP
O

old_mikee

May 26, 2007
Burbank Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT; Minelab XTerra 70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi Duke

Thanks. I had the MXT set to Salt the entire time. I had a terrible time in the wet sand getting a reading so eventually gave up and went back to the dry sand. I was using the stock round coil, I did not get Jim's reply until we were home, but we are going to go again this Sunday and I will try the Oval DD coil.

Is there more to find in the wet sand or the dry? As I said, I could not balance out the unit in the wet sand so I have never found anything there. Any help or suggestions here would be appreciated.

thanks for the replies

mikee

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
old_mikee said:
Hi Duke

Thanks. I had the MXT set to Salt the entire time. I had a terrible time in the wet sand getting a reading so eventually gave up and went back to the dry sand. I was using the stock round coil, I did not get Jim's reply until we were home, but we are going to go again this Sunday and I will try the Oval DD coil.

Is there more to find in the wet sand or the dry? As I said, I could not balance out the unit in the wet sand so I have never found anything there. Any help or suggestions here would be appreciated.

thanks for the replies

mikee
I hope... Duke ....or any one with a MXT gets back to you i never had mine at a salt water beach but i do know the DD coil is better to use there.............

Fisher

Sep 24, 2007
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I got back from the beach a few weeks ago. I used my 4x6 DD with tracking on Salt and had zero problems. The DD is more stable than the stock coil. Also, what I've found about the difference from the wet and dry sand is you'll dig more trash in the dry sand. Just my two cents.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread