Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For targets this deep you need a larger thsn stock coil and maybe run in all metal for the deepest depth. Couse this will also pond to smaller targets. It is hard to get around that.

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First of all, thanks Sandman for replying when no one else seems interested in discussing this. Secondly, the only reason I mentioned the smaller targets thing was because some of the really larger (18" for instance) coils mention in their advertising that smaller targets start dropping out. I guess I was hoping somebody was willing to discuss the usefulness of some of the larger coils (10X14, 1400dd, 14"dd) in such a specific endeavor. I know that all of these coils are heavier than the stock and I know about the Super 12 (but I doubt its usefulness in bad ground). Funny thing is, I'm getting the impression that not many (if any) people have experience with these coils. A few might have tried them, but wrote them off as heavy.

Anyway, thanks again.

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
BamaBill, I didn't reply because I didn't\don't know the answer. I hope your able to find out what you need to know.

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
im kinda i the same boat, i think im going for the whites 14dd, and now see the 18 excellerator........ the 18, says its pulling dimes at alot of inches, i want more depth for in the desert, non trasy areas
jeeze i made no sense, im tired

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've gotten some private replies that seem to indicate that the 10X14 DD coil would be the best balance of depth, detection in bad ground, and weight. Problem is K - Co. is back ordered on that coil and don't know when they'll get them in and I need this coil before the end of the month. Figures, now that I have it figured out that I can't get one in time.

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
call whites and tell them about k-co, they will surley find you a dealer close by that has one in stock. whats at the end of the month? whats your target, if u wanna share with the rest of us

Breville

Greenie
Jan 10, 2005
I,ve got a 10x14 accelerator I'll let you have for 500 smakers LOL. It is a good coil and like every body else I don't have much expierence with it on big deep targets. I was in the sand at a fresh water beach and when I got what sounded like a normal coil shallow coin sound it turned out to be either a false mineral signal or a large CAN type signal very deep. The reason I am saying this is because I could never get to a few of those targets, the hole got to large and to deep so it may have been a false signal or very deep target. Seems like I remember digging a few alminum cans and large wadded up foil balls that were just to deep to mess with. Thats when I noticed the coins had a small sound to them. Maby some day I will go back there off season with a shovel and go for the deepies just to see. Of course all holes will be filled in when I am done as usual.

Mike

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
BamaBill said:
What coil would you use on your MXT if you were after a CW era buckle that's 12"-14" deep in bad ground and didn't care about the smaller targets (bullets for example)? What techniques (beyond the normal) would you use to enhance the signal so you tell that it was a diggable signal (i.e., turn up the threshold, lock ground balance, etc.) ??
Hi Bill. It's past the end of the month. Just wondering, what coil did you end up with? And what is your assessment of your new coil? As for enhancing the signal when trying to determine a diggable signal, White's recommends turning the threshold (sensitivity in the M6) ALL the way up when trying to determine the diggability of a target signal.

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well, I still don't have the coil as Kellyco has it on back order and they're the only supplier for the 10X14 coil.

Massbaycolonist

Apr 15, 2006
Massachusetts
BamaBill said:
Well, I still don't have the coil as Kellyco has it on back order and they're the only supplier for the 10X14 coil.
Hi Bill. I know-and it's on sale now, too. I hope you put it on backorder. And when you get it, let us know how it works. HH

OP
OP
B

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yep, its on backorder, but I gotta wonder why K-Co didn't order more the first time around.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread