Kiros32

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be hunting the hot soil of Culpeper soon and I know that the MXT will have some limitations as far as target ID and depth. I have both the D2 coil and the 12-inch Spider coil. I typically hunt with the D2 but was wondering if the other coil would gain me any depth over the D2?

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In hot ground I'd say the D2 will fair better, its as deep as the 12" coil but separates way better and in hot ground the DD coil will see less ground under it than the 12" concentric coil. HH

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep Wingmaster nailed it pretty good, That Va Dirt is a killer at times, but in normal dirt the 12" would have about 2 to 3 inches more depth over the 10" DD but in Culpeper Dirt any depth advantage will be lost.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other thing I don't like about the 12" concentric is you need very clean ground to get any depth advantage and that usually never happens you usually find the good stuff where there was lots of activity which means at least some trash. Now if you had unlimited access any wanted to pick it clean or had a pretty clean area that will produce it would be ok. I had one for a while but I detect mostly with the D2 coil, it really shines on the MTX I try and run +2 gain and get dimes at 10"+ with a couple being at a full 12" before. I run relic mode trigger forward, the D2 is real sensitive and you might not always get to run +2 in high EMI area's as to much noise in the headphones and I'm afraid to miss those deep whisper targets. A good set of headphones is a must for those really deep targets. HH

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
TDI SL 12"DF+7.5"DF, GMT, MXT All Pro, Whites ProStar Phones, Whites Bullseye II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's is what I do as well, I did run the 12" for nearly the whole season but I changed over to the older 9.5 coil and I was still hitting the deep ones at the 10 to 12 inch mark. I always wanted the D2 coil so this has been my first year using it and I like it, It seems almost as sensitive as the 9.5 and the depth is equal, I always use grey Ghosts, they seem to let you hear those whisper signals.

Gold Itch

Dec 31, 2014
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know that the MXT will have some limitations as far as target ID and depth. I have both the D2 coil and the 12-inch Spider coil. I typically hunt with the D2 but was wondering if the other coil would gain me any depth over the D2?

The MXT will ID things deeper depending what they are, I have had mine ID coins a lot deeper than the 12 " mark, and if the ground is normal it can go a lot deeper, when you add bigger coils then those ID's will be deeper again,

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread