MXT just average for coins?

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
It's a great coin hunter, the problem is that if you only hunt coins, well, it doesn't have multiple tones for ID purposes so you have to look at the screen allot. That being said, it is very consistant, when it says 83 you almost always have a clad quarter and its like that with all coins. The new MXT PRO may have solved this issue for coin hunters with it's multiple tones. As simple as the MXT is, there is also allot to learn about it and now they have added tones but to be honest with you, I am more excited about the backlight ;D

Anyway, if you just hunt for coins I would go with a lightweight, fast recovery machine. If your going to be banging around in the weeds, woods, foundations or any rough spots then the MXT in the "RELIC MODE" is the beast you want. :wink:

RWJR13

Apr 25, 2007
MESQUITE, TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT & Classic ID
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tin Nugget knows what he's talking about....He's had his MXT so long it's became part of his body... :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:....You won't go wrong getting it or the MXT PRO.......

Silver Surfer

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2009
Florida- Somewhere in the middle
Detector(s) used
MXT 300/Excal II/Surf Dual Field
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I actually got pretty good at telling coins apart by the sound of the single tone.... More by the length of the tone (width of target probably), than a change in tone..
Practice, practice, practice... But with the single tones, bottle caps will always fool you... A trick there is if it jumps between penny/dime, and quarter, move the coil just to the outside of the target until the tone fades, then slowly come back, and if it is a bottlecap, it will read "iron".. That tip has saved me many wasted digs...

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I owned the MXT 300 for two years. Don't have it any more unfortunately. Definitely picking up another one soon.

I agree with all of the other posters 110%. The MXT is a MONSTER on coins. I found plenty of them, I should know. And the guy who wrote that the VDI screen is almost always accurate on coins is telling it like it is. Very, very reliable VDI screen.

Funny, I'm now running a Minelab Safari. Minelab owners hate to or just don't have to even look at the VDI screen. It's all tone hunting. This was a tough fact for me to accept starting on the Safari. Starting to get it though.

IMHO, having ANY advantage gives you an edge. And since the VDI screen is soooooo accurate, that's a BIG plus.

A relic hunting machine

A gold hunting machine

A coinshooting machine

And it's even a MONSTER on the beaches

Get one as soon as you can :thumbsup: BTW, once you learn the machine, run in relic mode. You get a little more depth that way :sign13:

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I had mine out coin shooting yesterday and no complaints from here. I have yet to see how it'll do on silver though. I have only been out a few times with my MXT, but everytime I take it out, the more I like it!

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
i own both an mxt and an idx -pro ,the pro is better at coin id and in mhop has a faster response time than the mxt. The mxt will however go deeper than idx. The mxt will report more signals as a threhold machine ergo more finds possibly. Be prepared to dig a lot of trash with the mxt and if you're lucky something good will come out of it. I put mine away for a while no fun and all trash can get to you.

dmrusty

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Detector(s) used
White's M6 and Coinmaster.
If youre just mainly interested in finding coins, then I would consider saving a $100.00 and think an=bout getting the M6, which is a coin hog in it's self. I know I own a M6 and love it.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK totally new MXT user here. I've been a DFX user for going on 8 years and I must say the MXT is more accurate on ID'ing coins. I love how even a deep quiet sound will give a good solid ID, and be very accurate. It could easily replace my DFX, but then I hunt tot lots as well as coins. This thing is a tot lot monster.

bowser

Feb 27, 2007
SOUTH WEYMOUTH MA.
Detector(s) used
PRISM11 MXT IDX PRO TESORO COMPARDRE T2 se
Primary Interest:
Other
i have an mxt and a idx pro ,the pro is definetly more accurate on coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread