MXT Pinpointing Volumn Modification Help! (W/Amp pic!)

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, M/Lab Xtera-70, B/Hunter ID , Tesoro Stingray II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, MXT, Eagle II SL, + Others
Does anyone have a modification suggestion for the super loud pinpointing of the MXT? I've had my MXT for five years now and would like to "not" have to use my volumn controlled head phones once in awhile! I'd like to control the loud blast rather than eliminate it. When ever you start pinpointing the target you can be heard in a 100 yard radius. Thanks

OP
OP
LX Kid

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, M/Lab Xtera-70, B/Hunter ID , Tesoro Stingray II, Tesoro Tiger Shark, MXT, Eagle II SL, + Others
Re: MXT Pinpointing Volumn Modification Help!

I thought about putting an in-line switch or a linear pot going to the speaker when pinpointing. Not having had the switch apart to check how it's wired, I'm not sure if speaker is wired like that or not. Guess tonight or tomorrow I'll do exploratory surjury and see if it's board wired or switch wired ciruitry.

Just had another brain fog. Probably interupt speaker signal at the phone jack plug.

bga78

Jul 31, 2008
Detector(s) used
goldgun, gemini 3, GMT, Raytech laser

just plug an audio booster amplier to headphone jack. I did this in may GMT, it helps a lot :thumbsup:

OP
OP
LX Kid

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used

Thanks bga78 Great idea! I've got a miniature spkr/amp with volume control and would certainly do the job. Thanks

daleshark

Mar 26, 2007
Central Valley, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, DX-1 probe,6x10 DD , 4x6 shooter, eclipse 950

bga78, where did you get your audio booster amplifier at ? I'm thinking of doing that as well.

Thanks,
daleshark.

OP
OP
LX Kid

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used

I got everything I needed at Radio Shack. The speaker amp was about $10 and the 1/8"x1/4" adapter cable was about $5. The little speaker amp has a self contained 9v battery with a volume control on the side. Here's a couple of pics of the speaker amp.

S6001577.jpg
S6001578.jpg

daleshark

Mar 26, 2007
Central Valley, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Went to radio shack on Friday and found the speaker amp for $27.95. :icon_scratch: 10 bucks sounds better. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
LX Kid

LX Kid

Jul 14, 2009
Tampa, FL
Detector(s) used
I don't know if mine was on sale or not but go to this Radio Shack web site and see if this is the one you bought. The list price is $14.99!

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062620

P.S. You know, after thinking about it, I may have paid $14.99 for the amp. (Still a bargain to me though.) I also purchased other items and may have been mistaking. I still think you got shafted for what you paid. I'd go back and complain.

daleshark

Mar 26, 2007
Central Valley, Ca.
Detector(s) used
LX kid,
Thanks again for the info. I didn't buy it yet because it was kinda high in price.
The one that I had seen was differant then the one you are showing.
I'm gonna order one from that web site. Thanks again.

daleshark.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread