MXT Pros And Cons

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pros: VERY Fast, deep, multi tone, 3 mode (coin & jewelry, relic & prospecting) plus a salt setting, back lit display, excellent battery life, ground tracking lock option.
Cons: Not a lightweight at 4+lbs, can be noisy/chatty (you can turn the threshold down to silent search), no volume control (not a big deal if one uses volume control headset).

My coil of choice is the D2. I also have the 950 & 5.3. The D2 works well enough even in the trashy areas I never feel the need to use the 5.3 anymore. The 6x10 is suppose to be a very good coil too. It's next on my list.

Last edited:

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once you learn it well its as deep as the V3i or the E-trac with the D2 coil, the detech ultimate 13" DD coil is just as deep and covers a lot of ground. I really couldn't come up with a con as I wouldn't trade my MXT for 3 of any other. HH

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro, Fisher Gold Bug, Garretts ACE-350 and Garrett's pinpointer pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pros: VERY Fast, deep, multi tone, 3 mode (coin & jewelry, relic & prospecting) plus a salt setting, back lit display, excellent battery life, ground tracking lock option.
Cons: Not a lightweight at 4+lbs, can be noisy/chatty (you can turn the threshold down to silent search), no volume control (not a big deal if one uses volume control headset).

My coil of choice is the D2. I also have the 950 & 5.3. The D2 works well enough even in the trashy areas I never feel the need to use the 5.3 anymore. The 6x10 is suppose to be a very good coil too. It's next on my list.

Fella, the D2 is the 10" DD coil right? Not the 6x10 eclipse!

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
pros: it handles hotrocks quite well, it's nice for speed hunting, VDI is quite accurate even with DD coils, good on batteries, I like the two-tones on Relic mode, well-built

Cons: heavy, it runs with 8 AA batteries, not good to carry on a bag when hiking, depth is alright but not impressive, for some folks is too noisy (but you can low the threshold)

Last edited:
OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pros: it handles hotrocks quite well, it's nice for speed hunting, VDI is quite accurate even with DD coils, good on batteries, I like the two-tones on Relic mode, well-built

Cons: heavy, it runs with 8 AA batteries, not good to carry on a bag when hiking, depth is alright but not impressive, for some folks is too noisy (but you can low the threshold)

I live in red clay area where the ground is pretty high in mineral content. Sounds like it will handle that well.

chinchilla

Dec 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, White's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in red clay area where the ground is pretty high in mineral content. Sounds like it will handle that well.

I have hunted on dark red clay using the 6x10dd, mineralization literally changed every two steps, I really liked how the mxt behaved, you should have no problems

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I love my MXT PRO. I actually sold my DFX to get it for relic hunting here in Tennessee and the hot soil of Virginia. I have several coils such as the 6x10 and D2 but my favorite coil is the 10x12 SEF coil. I find it to be deeper of all the coils I have tried and works well in very trashy areas. The best advice I can give to find deep stuff is to swing very slow. I like to run my machine as hot as I can stand it. Usually around +2 and do not discriminate. Yes it can be a little chatty but I just turn my threshold down and it doesn't bother me. If you want it smoother just adjust the GAIN to a lower setting. Once you use the MXT PRO and get used to the settings you will find it to be one of the best machines on the market. I too would not get rid of mine. No cons that I can think of.

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my MXT PRO. I actually sold my DFX to get it for relic hunting here in Tennessee and the hot soil of Virginia. I have several coils such as the 6x10 and D2 but my favorite coil is the 10x12 SEF coil. I find it to be deeper of all the coils I have tried and works well in very trashy areas. The best advice I can give to find deep stuff is to swing very slow. I like to run my machine as hot as I can stand it. Usually around +2 and do not discriminate. Yes it can be a little chatty but I just turn my threshold down and it doesn't bother me. If you want it smoother just adjust the GAIN to a lower setting. Once you use the MXT PRO and get used to the settings you will find it to be one of the best machines on the market. I too would not get rid of mine. No cons that I can think of.

This sounds great. I was hoping this would be the type of replays I received on this.

glabelle

Apr 21, 2011
Like Wingmaster said, it is every bit as good as an eTrac or V3i - I've had and tested them all. The MXT is much easier and more friendly to use. I believe the difference is in the ground balance algorithm - the MXT is the best. It results in smooth performance and great depth for a 14KHz machine. To lighten it up a bit, use the HP2900 LiIon battery system.

George

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is great to hear. As I am going to purchase both the MXT and the V3I as I want to have a good turn on and go machine and one that I can customize to my likening as well.

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The V3i does have a turn on and go program but for the price, the MXT PRO will do everything the V3i does for half the price.

MXT PRO Cons- The larger coils such as the 12 inch reads too much underground and confuses the machine making it harder to lock onto good targets and pinpoint your dig, unless your going to use the 12 on the beach for faster covering of ground its useless and will frustrate you if you try and use the 12inch in parks or high trashy areas.
The 10inch DD and the 9.5 are the best all around coils for this machine, the 5.3 is great for trashy areas but your giving up some depth.

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The V3i does have a turn on and go program but for the price, the MXT PRO will do everything the V3i does for half the price.

MXT PRO Cons- The larger coils such as the 12 inch reads too much underground and confuses the machine making it harder to lock onto good targets and pinpoint your dig, unless your going to use the 12 on the beach for faster covering of ground its useless and will frustrate you if you try and use the 12inch in parks or high trashy areas.
The 10inch DD and the 9.5 are the best all around coils for this machine, the 5.3 is great for trashy areas but your giving up some depth.

William, maybe I need to get two MXT Pros. Hahahahaha. What I am thinking is that I can have two great machines. One I can let my brother use. But don't want to buy to of the same as I am going to let him use one but not giving him one. Another reason for the V3I is I like to tinker. Lol

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well with that in mind then I would get both and let him use the MXT PRO just because it costs less and personally from own train of thought my brother does not take that great of care of things I let him use,..lol, other then that you will both be equipped with the best machines on the market. Plus you get more bonus bucks with 2 machines.

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well with that in mind then I would get both and let him use the MXT PRO just because it costs less and personally from own train of thought my brother does not take that great of care of things I let him use,..lol, other then that you will both be equipped with the best machines on the market. Plus you get more bonus bucks with 2 machines.

I would have to use the V3I to beat him with if he didn't take care of the MXT. Lol

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just thinking. I would really be disappointed if I had both and he out done me detecting with my own machine after I messed up the programming. Lol

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can always set the V3i program on turn on and go to simplify everything, you never know what or where your going to find goodies so he may out do you anyways with either machine..lol Some people are just lucky, my friend I go searching with a lot has a MXT PRO with 9.5 coil just like me and he is always 1 upping me it seems that is until I go into the water,lol...he dont like searching water good for me..lol last season he found a British pence on the beach and all I found was a bunch of old lead weights from fishing nets. We are going after cannon balls from the old fort near by when it warms up and NOT snowing anymore like it is today again...YUK, I am so done with winter !

OP
OP
PhilBarnett

PhilBarnett

Oct 6, 2012
Englewood
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can always set the V3i program on turn on and go to simplify everything, you never know what or where your going to find goodies so he may out do you anyways with either machine..lol Some people are just lucky, my friend I go searching with a lot has a MXT PRO with 9.5 coil just like me and he is always 1 upping me it seems that is until I go into the water,lol...he dont like searching water good for me..lol last season he found a British pence on the beach and all I found was a bunch of old lead weights from fishing nets. We are going after cannon balls from the old fort near by when it warms up and NOT snowing anymore like it is today again...YUK, I am so done with winter !

He is already one up on me as he can hear. Lol. This is going to be a challenge for me being mostly deaf but I am determined to make it happen.

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You wont have any trouble learning with the display readings and knowing when to dig for hot targets. Just take your time sweeping and you will find lots of goodies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread